Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How the 1932 Ford Deuce became the quintessential hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 10, 2020.

1. I ran across this article by Thom Taylor written for HAGERTY in 2018 and as a Deuce guy I found it interesting and wanted to pass it on. HRP

1932-Ford-Deuce(1).jpg
    Thom Taylor

Without question the 1932 Ford—affectionately called the “Deuce”, is the quintessential hot rod. But how? And why?

A convergence of seemingly unrelated occurrences, certain characteristics unique to the ’32 Ford, and a touch of serendipity all played a part in Ford’s modest offerings for 1932 becoming the iconic hot rod aesthetic.

The ‘32 Ford featured a lot of firsts and also lasts, which helped endear it to hot rodders. It was the first year of the flathead V-8, which was the first V-8 in an affordable, mass market automobile. Initially too expensive for teenage hot rodders, it offered an easy platform to install a fast flathead once those engines became plentiful and cheap. Supply and affordability were key contributors to virtually anything hot rodders incorporated into their cars in the pursuit of style and speed.

Another first was its steel reinforced body, an improvement from mostly wood structures with stamped metal skins nailed to them that most car makers used in 1932. A steel inner structure meant lighter and more durable bodies less prone to degradation from continual structural stresses. As roadsters and coupes from contemporary manufacturers became exposed to the elements, dry rot and termites guaranteed an early trip to the junk man. 1932 Fords survived much better, leading to greater availability, which kept a lid on prices.

1932-Ford-Deuce(3).jpg
    Thom Taylor
    One of the unintended aesthetic advantages with a ’32 Ford is that removing fenders and running boards (done to save weight and increase aerodynamics for dry lakes racing) resulted in a clean body mass without gaps, aprons, and wonky body lines. They were harmonious and clean with or without fenders. Uniquely, a fenderless Deuce—or “high boy”, featured styled, exposed frame rails. Those exposed frame rails incorporated a stamped style-line that followed the front fender and running board attachment points. No other automobile, ever, had this styled frame detail. Because it was meant to be exposed, there were no brackets, brake lines, or body bracing a covered frame might contain.

As automotive styling evolved, the 1932 Ford was one of the last and most evolved designs of this upright and honest school of styling. Vertical grilles, tops, and door cuts met their end in 1933. In almost all cases, 1933 universally produced laid back grilles (or grilles hiding radiators), bodies extended down to meet running boards and to cover gas tanks (eliminating aprons), hoods overlapped cowls, and more angle was applied to both windshields and grilles. Streamlined styling swooped up the design and body details. Before the end of the 1930s headlights were integrated into fenders, tops blended into the body more elegantly, and fenders became more exaggerated. 1933 ushered the first unified, clamshell-like body styling, so the 1932 Ford’s styling marks a linear end from the inception of the automobile.

Finally, cars got larger after 1932. Smaller cars can poke through the air better so, everything being equal, they’re quicker due to less drag. Deuces were lighter, smaller, simple, easy to stuff a V-8 into, and plentiful on car lots and bone yards—all helping the 1932 Ford become the car of choice for racers. As street cars began emulating what ran at the dry lakes like Muroc and El Mirage in the desert northeast of Los Angeles, they also became the go-to hot rod for the street.

1932-Ford-Deuce(21).jpg

Thom Taylor
    [​IMG]
    Thom Taylor
    It was never planned. How could it be? No, the Deuce was an organic phenomenon. It developed from a need to go fast cheaply and easily, with some style thrown into the mix. Even though Fords are an entry-level automobile never known for the styling flourishes that distinguish high-priced Duesenbergs, Lincolns, and Cadillacs, they nevertheless offer a good degree of eye candy.

By the 1950s, teens were becoming a more publicly visible demographic, attracting attention to everything they did and significantly influence American culture. With rock and roll came songs about hot rods. The sport of drag racing developed from dry lakes racing, with surfing, slang, and a whole style and culture raising the intrinsic value of hot rods, which has uniquely elevated the Deuce high on the car collector’s consciousness.
    [​IMG]
    Thom Taylor
    [​IMG]
    Thom Taylor
    [​IMG]
    Thom Taylor
    [​IMG]
    Thom Taylor
    [​IMG]
    Thom Taylor
    [​IMG]
    Thom Taylor
    [​IMG]
    Thom Taylor

1932-Ford-Deuce(11).jpg
    Thom Taylor
    [​IMG]
    Thom Taylor

1932-Ford-Deuce(13).jpg
    Thom Taylor

1932-Ford-Deuce(14).jpg
    Thom Taylor

1932-Ford-Deuce(15).jpg
    Thom Taylor

1932-Ford-Deuce(16).jpg
    Thom Taylor

1932-Ford-Deuce(17).jpg
    Thom Taylor

1932-Ford-Deuce(18).jpg
    Thom Taylor

1932-Ford-Deuce(19).jpg
    Thom Taylor

1932-Ford-Deuce(20).jpg
    Thom Taylor

1932-Ford-Deuce(22).jpg
    Thom Taylor

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  2. 5window

5window

A nice article-IF you buy into the Deuce being the quintessential hot rod. There would be an equal argument that this is the Model A.

3. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Thanks for posting the article & pictures.

HOTRODPRIMER and Texas Webb like this.
  4. Thanks Danny,a good read and info.

HOTRODPRIMER, wicarnut and 3W JOHN like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always thought it was because the early circle trackers could just take fenders, running boards and bumpers off and go racing with them. Then it grew from there.

6. Neat article. I would add that a few movies might have something to do with its recent popularity. As far as “quintessential”hot rod, man every time I hear that phrase it makes me chuckle.

7. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thanks HRP, I Agree, the 1932 Ford is the definition of a Hot Rod. The Model A is real close IMO, I had a 29 highboy roadster on 32 rails, w/32 nose, but my 32 3 window was " IT " for me. IMO, Everyone wants one, needs one, should have one at some point in their time. included Pic's of my 29 and 32, I miss them both especially the 32 but I moved on to a 51 Mercury mild Kustom. For me the McMillan 32 highboy roadster in Hot Rod magazine mid 60's set the hook, took me into the 90's (sidetracked/racing hobby through 91) before I owned the Roadster till 2007, 32 3 window 2007/2015, 51 Merc 2013 to present. I like the comment from someone here on the HAMB. No Pictures, it never happened. The Moose Photoshop of my roadster (ThankYou) my wheel/paint, not HAMB friendly. I had it for several years before I joined the HAMB.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. From the time I was 12 years old that's what I envisioned when I hear the term hot rod and to take it a step further I have always envisioned a '49 -'50 Mercury when I hear the word Custom.

Personally I like them all, but we all have our favorites. HRP

9. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Great Information HRP And My Eyes Sold Me On The Deuce In The Early Years And It Has Some Pretty Younger Sisters.. 105692433_3059115104180084_75568792191600146_n.jpg

10. The main reason was they were cheap and everywhere, and held together a bit better than the earlier cheap T and A bodies. Media hype contributed the rest. There were better built 32's, but not cheaper built 32's. Old Henry had cheap all locked up. Henry's motto... 'We build 'em to sell, not to last, so we'll just build 'em fast".

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Never any question, it had to be a Deuce.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

12. Thom's article was well written and he made some valid point's as to why the 1932 Ford has been anointed with that title.

I also know that many hot rodders consider their ride, be it a Model A or Model 40 that they think should hold the title, personally I like them all. HRP

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  13. sedantudor

sedantudor

Gotta love the Deuce, but opinions I am sure will vary on this topic. Personally, I like them all. But a I do have fondness for the Deuce. In my late teens and early 20's I spent a lot of time behind the wheel of a Deuce Tudor Sedan. I am always thinking about another one.

Another thing to consider is how many aftermarket bodies are made out of fiberglass. Obviously enough people think the Deuce is the hot rod of choice for so many companies to build bodies for it. A few months back I was looking into different fiberglass bodies for a Deuce project (Which has been sidelined, but not forgotten) and was amazed at all the different options and companies that made them. I had weeks into research.

14. brady1929

brady1929

I wish I was filthy rich. I would have at least one of every model.

wicarnut and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. You and I both Brother, I have been fortunate to have owned 2 door sedan's, 4 door sedan's, 5 window's, a 3 window, a roadster and a pickup and if the Good Lord is willing I hope to own another topless '32 in the future. :D

I have also owned several Model A's and a bunch of 40 Fords but the Deuce is still my favorite. HRP

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Driver50x and wicarnut like this.
  16. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Born in 1932------I just HAD to build one!!!!!!

Irish Mike, LOU WELLS, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  17. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Only car Ford sold you could order without fenders :D well that's what I always tell the cops who pull me over it always works ;)

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Danny, great article. My late father, born in 1926, would agree. He believed it was the first mass-produced V-8 that did it, but Thom makes a lot of great arguments.

BigDogSS and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. j3harleys

j3harleys

And all this time I just thought it was because it was the best looking car ever built.:)

wicarnut and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. pitman

pitman

Distinction between an A, and a model 40?
    Thought a '40' was maybe a 4-cyl deuce.

21. The Model B had an updated four cylinder and was available from 1932 to 1934. The V8 was available in the Model 18 in 1932.

The Model 40 and the new B were introduced February 9, 1933 and continued through 1934. HRP

22. 5window

5window

Not so fast.young man. You forgot to consider that Ford made roughly 285,000 Deuces but 4.8 million Model As. So there may quite likely be enough real steel A's out there to satisfy the demand but 17 times fewer '32s-hence the need for reproductions.

23. A certain ugly, hated, and poorly built coupe resurrected "The Deuce" in the 1970s.

You can thank me later for not including another picture of it.

I've always wanted a Henry Ford Coupe. I gotta admit New Age Motorsports has gotten really close.
    milner%20class2.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. 5window

5window

Add to the fact that a '31 'glass coupe is about $65oo + shipping and a '31 car can be bought for about twice that and it isn't cost effective to go with fiberglass.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

I loved our roadster.

[​IMG]

26. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

That sounds like permission to start looking for one!

27. Yeah, Brenda didn't want me to sell the roadster and we have been looking for the right car,.that's the reason I sold my Deuce pickup but after I had the cash in hand the deal fell through. HRP

chryslerfan55 and J. A. Miller like this.
  28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who’s the hip beatnik you’re riding with?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. I would be that suave & debonair old curmudgeon. :D HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    wicarnut, BrerHair and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. Bob McGee's roadster in my honest opinion makes a strong case for why the quintessential hot rod is the Deuce.

It's been a publication icon for 72 years. HRP

1932-ford-roadster-meyer-hot-rod-321x450 (1).jpg G