Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stripping Powder Coat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Dave, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I'm in the process of doing a bit of powder coating of some parts and I need to strip the old powder coat.
    In your opinion, what is the best chemical stripper to use? My buddy has some AirCraft stripper that he told me to use.
    So now I'm curious of what would be better.
    I don't want to wire wheel it and media blasting will take way too long.
    I thought about burning it off.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  2. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Mechanically stripping can be a PITA and takes forever to get the coating off, and in hard to reach spots its tough.
    Acetone does pretty good on softening the coating.
    There are aerosol sprays that you can get for stripping powdercoat. Spray the parts and let them sit. Wear gloves, glasses and an apron! The strippers are fairly caustic. Then peel away the coating. Lot less messy, time consuming as you have to wait but it works well enough.
    Paint stripper works pretty good, make sure it is the good stuff that will work on powdercoating.
    Burning off isn't really an option for smaller stuff as the heat can warp smaller items, if not flat out soften/melt them. You need to get the heat up to ~1000°F.

I like the aerosols as you can spray, walk away and come back and peel the old coating off.
    The other methods require more physical work and can risk damaging the part, and can be messy.

3. Joe H

Joe H

I use a propane torch and burn it off, then media blast if needed. It turns to ash pretty quickly so not a lot of heat is needed. Out right sandblasting takes for ever, the sand bounces off.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  4. oldolds

oldolds

There are basically 2 different stripper formulas. One will work on powder coat the other will not. 20 years ago I used to help a powder coat guy on occasion. I do not remember the chemical that was in the one that worked. He did not worry about what brand it was as long as it had that one chemical.

5. I stripped a set of Pontiac factory honeycomb Trans Am gold wheels. I used top-of-the-line, i.e., most expensive, (Aircraft?) stripper from Home Depot and it worked perfectly with one coat. Bubbled the coating that wiped off with shop towels. Didn't hurt the aluminum. don't over think the problem.

Incidentally, those wheels were made b y Western Wheel!!

stillrunners and Flathead Dave like this.
  6. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you remember the name of that product?

7. Don't remember, been 15 yrs? Just get the top of the line product and should work great.

8. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All the good chemical strippers are no longer available. Thanks EPA. mechanical removal is your best bet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Flathead Dave and Texas57 like this.
  9. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went to Home Depot web site and Jasco Premium and Kleenstrip Premium were recommended for epoxy and urethane on all surfaces including metal. I want to strip a set of 82 Z28 wheels

10. pitman

pitman

Might ask Kleenstrip,

11. If you are planning on powder coating them again let the people that do the work sand blast the parts, the company that did my work sandblasted my wheels and said they preferred to do the work themselves, that way they could stand behind their work. HRP

MMM1693, Flathead Dave and Texas57 like this.
  12. I think I used the Kleenstrip. Epoxy stripper is the important spec.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jasco.

14. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I used Jasco premium paint and epoxy remover to strip a set of powder coated H-D wheels. Worked pretty good for me.

Flathead Dave and gimpyshotrods like this.
  15. A propane torch and a wire brush is the fastest (and least messy) way to strip powdercoat off. Heat a wide area until it starts to bubble, then hit it with the wire brush. Use a scotchbrite pad to 'finish' it. I won't use chemical stripping...

stillrunners and Flathead Dave like this.
  16. This product sounds promising. HRP

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    MMM1693 and Flathead Dave like this.
  17. I'll elaborate a bit more on this. Use a hand wire brush, not powered. Torch in one hand, wire brush in the other. Once you get the hang of it, it's like removing undercoating. I stripped a Harley chainguard this way in about a 1/2 hour. I would recommend media blasting to finish before re-coating, whatever coating is left will come off easily.

18. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Looks very easy. I'm going to check it out.
    Thanks, HRP

19. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

All of the smaller parts I've needed to strip, I've just soaked them in a plastic tub of Acetone for a day or so. It works the best and is the easiest. Sandblasting takes forever and strippers kind of work, but leave you fighting to clean those hard to reach areas. The acetone melts, or dissolves it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I used Aircraft Stripper. We won't be seeing that airplane anymore...

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

I thought powder coating was the greatest thing since sliced bread and the applicators' could walk on water, why would you want to remove it?

Bob

22. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Ask the industrial powder coaters what they use or where they go to chemically strip their racks.

23. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Color change.
    Powder coat my parts myself.

24. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I priced this stuff. $249 for 5 gals. plus $60 shipping in the US.