Register now to get rid of these ads!

Handling political comments

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by sgtlethargic, Sep 12, 2020.

1. How should members handle political comments that we see? When I see them I want to reply. I don't, but then I think about whether I want to report it or not.

There's more, but I'll start there.

Anyone can feel free to reply. I'd like to hear from moderators.

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have a zero tolerance policy on politics... especially these days. Report it and move on...reply and risk losing your account for a few weeks.

3. I totally agree. This is the reason I am a proud member. Here on the HAMB we have a rare refuge from our crazy world. Thank you Ryan.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Since I see political comments on the small percentage of threads I read, then other members must not be reporting political comments. I suppose that's mostly due to people agreeing with them more than people not wanting to report them.

gimpyshotrods and Thor1 like this.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've got no idea what you are talking about... cuz I haven't seen them. If you see them, please report them whether you agree with them or not.

I get called a brainwashed liberal and a dumb shit conservative on the daily due to the stuff I delete. I don't really care... This place shouldn't be political at all... and it's getting harder and harder to police because people these days want to make EVERYTHING political. Pretty gross. Pretty embarrassing.

6. I will. I didn't want to be a nuisance for reporting too much.

Wow.

Thor1 likes this.
  7. Really? By members here?
    If so, I'll say wow too.

Thor1 likes this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yep...

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  9. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boss,

I applaud your patience and grace and I really appreciate your levelheadedness. If it were my show, politics would be a zero tolerance topic. If people didn't like it or actually were dumb enough to run their mouth and give me a hard time about it I would put a boot in their ass and show them to the door to be never seen again.

I realize that it really is not worth getting worked up about it - there are far more important things in this life to be concerned about. But, simply put, this is your house and if they don't have the courtesy or manners to respect your wishes, they really don't need to be here.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The thing is, it's not really black and white... To some people some things are completely innocuous and to others that same thing is 100% politically charged. Values and character are challenged without even realizing it... Fires break out.

People are assimilating more now than ever... and... "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals..."

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Thanks to all the accessibility of media now days, politics have found their way into everything. We are so overexposed we don’t even realize sometimes what we say can be considered political to someone who is sensitive to some things. What’s political to one is just normal speech to another. It’s indeed a fine line sometimes, and easy to cross without knowing it. Not taking sides one way or the other, I just look over anything I don’t agree with. You know what they say about opinions, everybody’s got one, and most stink!

I try to watch and proof read before I hit the post button. Even at that, sometimes I may say something that could be taken the wrong way. But, I’m not perfect, and slip up sometimes. But there again, I’m not going to call anybody down for their beliefs or push mine on anybody. I know what I like, and they were built before 1972, er, 1965 for here!

wraymen, Truckdoctor Andy and Thor1 like this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have been deleting my social media one at a time.

I have seen friendships ruined over opinions voiced on current events. Ryan you know some of the parties involved. I met both of them on the HAMB and respect both guys.

I like the fact that no politics are allowed.

13. grumpy65

grumpy65

'Political views' are not alone in this respect. There are many a comment or opinion fired from the relative safety of hiding in one's home behind a keyboard. Social media has bred a culture of intolerance, disrespect and brashness that would not be accepted in a 'face-to-face' situation. The threat of a smack in the mouth used to keep things real. :eek:

Anyhow, here we are discussing politics...............or more to the point, discussing the fact that we ought not. :confused::confused::confused:

Back to the happy world of hot rods. :)

Thor1, wraymen and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Very true!

Thor1 likes this.
  15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Reported ;)
    One of the main reasons I hang out here.

Truckdoctor Andy and Thor1 like this.
  16. The latest burglary thread has quite a few political comments that remain after being closed. And it has at least one comment about killing (Why let comments about killing humans ride?), beyond the usual corporal punishment and vigilante justice stuff.

A thread with good information, like the comment about hanging doors to open outward so they can't be kicked in easily, would be okay. Frankly, that other stuff should be deleted.

Note: Please delete this comment, if it's unwanted. And/or be upfront and say what you need to say. But don't ban me for being upfront.

Thor1 likes this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan is the one that locked that thread, he certainly knows more about what he wants on his forum than anybody. Sometimes when I lock a thread I leave all the offending content so people can see the reason why it was locked and hopefully refrain in the future. Ultimately the locked thread will fall so far down the list in just a few days that it really doesn't matter....

18. rudestude

rudestude

Why can't people just stick too what this site is about ...
    Hot Rods and Customs ?...traditional of course.
    Just starting a thread like this gets things going off track.
    If you have been on the site for any length of time and ,or, read the rules ,you should know what is allowed and what isn't.
    If you see something thats not allowed....don't click....just move on, there are people on here that take care of that stuff.
    By clicking on or reporting a ot thread ,either way gets you involved.
    I'm all for keeping the crap off of here ...and yes I should of not clicked and just moved on ...but it just seemed like a ...well I'll just keep it to myself and move on back to the part with the Hot Rods and Customs ...traditional of course.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wraymen likes this.
  19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I deleted a bunch of shit from that thread... and left some of it so people could see some of what was up before I deleted the whole thing. I’ve already done that.

I don’t do politics here. It’s not that hard to be smarter than them.

rudestude likes this.
  21. Thank you, Boss! Politics are everywhere and in everything anymore and I love your zero tolerance for it!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

flatheadpete and Thor1 like this.
  22. We don't discuss Polly Ticks on the HAMB! HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020