Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration 1953 Ford 3 speed manual gearbox question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbritnell, Oct 10, 2020.

1. gbritnell

gbritnell

Gentlemen,
    Several years back I had posted a thread on my build of a 1/3 scale flathead engine, what I called my Fordillac.
    Quite a few years ago I built a 302 Ford V-8 in 1/3 scale. One year while looking for a winter project I took apart a T-5 trans, measured, made drawings and built it to go behind the 302.
    I thought it only fitting that I should build a trans for the flathead so with the loan of a trans from a friend and drawings from Van Pelt's website I measured, made drawings and built a 1953, 3 speed manual transmission.
    Here's my question: There are two bosses on the trans that I don't know what they're for. Not that it matters, the trans operates fine but curiosity go the better of me. The one photo shows the two bosses in question, one on the top of the main case extending from the rear flange and the other, a rectangular shape, that is at the top of the tailshaft cast onto the mounting flange. I know that manufacturers will make a part that can be used for several applications so I'm guessing this is one of those cases but I would just like to know.
    Thanks in advance,
    gbritnell

Attached Files:

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Can’t answer the question but sure want to call out your amazing ambition and productions. You must have much machining, engineering and work skills!

kadillackid and knucklenutz like this.
  3. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Super cool. I'd love to see pics of engines. Machined aluminum?

kadillackid likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Beautiful work!

I don't have a case laying around to look at...but if I did, I'd see if perhaps there is something inside, such as a lubrication path....

kadillackid likes this.

5. gbritnell

gbritnell

6. gbritnell

gbritnell

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

This reminds me of the story about a Rex Burnett cutaway drawing in Hot Rod. Rex included in his drawing a part he couldn't identify. Turned out to be a hammer lying on the chassis in the photo he was working from.

dana barlow likes this.