Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lock box installation legality?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Atwater Mike, Oct 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Tell them, not a secret then

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. 3quarter32

3quarter32

If you look up MO. laws, it appears to be legal, and a search warrant would be needed to open it if you denied permission to open. It is no different than is a locked glove box. Don't take my word for it, just read the MO. search and seizure law.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

They're grouped as " hidden compartment" laws . Many States have enacted them . They appear to be waaaaaay too open to law enforcement interpretation , a quick scan says if police " think" you knowingly constructed the compartment to conceal contraband ( what , like you're gonna label it " dope " or " pot" or guns") then its illegal ( maybe you should print " tools" on the lid? ) BTW , law enforcement is under no obligation to return your vehicle after a search ( forfeiture section of the law ) Oh yeah , if you build the compartment for someone else knowing that they " may" use it for contraband you can go to jail as well ..lovely

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

In the old days you just told the cops “I got a gun under the seat” no longer concealed. And that was in California, was never a problem. Although I didn’t get pulled over often

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Good advice!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  6. bchctybob

bchctybob

I have ten years of expired registrations, a dried up ball point pen, a yellowed note pad, the cockpit voice recorder and a 20 year old condom in mine. Any of that considered contraband?

7. A long long time ago I was working at Les Schwab in the brake shop....I got a call up front, and there waiting for me is fellow curious about my old car in the parking lot. We got to talking and he was looking for someone to help locate and purchase vehicles for export to Europe. He takes me out a a few times. Wines and dines me. We do a few deals. Money is flowing. Everything seems great....until he asks me to build "hidden compartments" in the vehicles we are exporting and locate cheap hand guns. They were mainly looking to smuggle hand guns into Europe... I promptly noped the fuck out.

I did do a little research on the subject....

There is a difference between a lock box mounted under your seat, and a "hidden compartment"

Hidden compartments are just that. Hidden. Not something you would look under the seat and see. You would never be able to tell that they are there in the fist place. A lot of times they have complicated opening procedures using controls of the car in the correct sequence.

And yes, you can be prosecuted if you build them knowing that they will be used for illegal activities. It's not necessarily illegal to build them in general. Just not for illegal purposes. A lot of A list celebrities have them installed in their cars.

8. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Yeah, that 20 yr old condom could be considered an exploding device :)

9. Budget36

Budget36

A
    call the county. If I told you it was ok, won’t help if it’s not.

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Mike, I build compartments under the pass side seat in all the Track Roadsters, with a bolt on lid. The hidden stash is an MT 26 Interstate Battery !

11. Planning on getting pulled over and searched ???. :D

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

It's not like the good old days, getting rousted every time a bunch of us went out cruisin' late at night. The only time they bother this gray haired old fart these days is when I drive a couple miles with my blinker on. Lol

TagMan, rbrewer, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

WOW! And did you know the word gullible, is't in the dictionary? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Advise: Verb... the act of giving advice.
    Advice: Noun..what is given when someone advises.

Drives me nuts. ;)

warbird1, Bandit Billy, 36cab and 5 others like this.
  15. grumpy65

grumpy65

Thank you so much. I have returned to the offending post and made the necessary corrections. I hope you are now more at ease. While we are here, I struggle with another word sometimes. Maybe you could cast your eye over it and give me some guidance. The word is "condasending". What do you think? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

By the way, does this gem sound familiar...............
    "(I do NOT live in a bad area...this shit was pure coincidental)."
    Surely you meant 'pure coincidence', or maybe 'purely coincidental'................?

Have a great day. :D

bchctybob, wraymen and knucklenutz like this.
  16. clem

clem

condescending......???

thintin, knucklenutz, belair and 2 others like this.
  17. grumpy65

grumpy65

Do I actually have to point the sarcasm out? o_O

Can we get back to normal programming now?

Budget36 and wraymen like this.
  18. southcross2631

southcross2631

I do not consider myself an expert on hidden compartments all though after having worked at the federal law enforcement training center for 19 years and having designed a lot of them for students to find and having seen hundred's of ones that the Mexican drug dealers used and failed to make completely hidden .
    You can make anything you want . You just can't put anything illegal in them . I bought a brand new Ram pickup that came with a lockable compartment built into the floor of the rear pass compartment hidden by the floor mat. How can hidden compartments be illegal when the factory builds it into the vehicle ?

19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Maybe someone could install a hidden compartment on the keyboard for a dictionary...

I laugh when people say, "I have a right to...(fill in activity here)" as very few actually know their rights. I saw a news clip awhile back of some woman in Az or Tx claiming she had a right to run a restaurant when, due to the Corona19 situation, they were supposed to be shut and the cops were closing her down. Rights and Liberties are not the same thing.

Check with the local police dept. or a lawyer to get sound advice...

20. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Simply because you don't plan for it , doesn't mean it won't happen ........

21. .....What is it they say.........Red, White and Blue are the colors of Liberty and Freedom, until you see them in your rear-view mirror!:eek:

Beanscoot, 41rodderz, rbrewer and 2 others like this.
  22. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Nah...shoulda been ‘purely coincidental’. My bad.

23. grumpy65

grumpy65

One all......... A fair result, and the game was enjoyed by all. ;)

lothiandon1940 and flatheadpete like this.
  24. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

My 02 pickup truck came new with a lockbox under the driver's seat.

25. I was FLETC class of ‘08. Probably learned a lot from you. :)

26. squirrel

squirrel

Did the factory build this compartment into the vehicle, with the intent that you would conceal contraband in it? Or did they build it with the intent that you would store legal, valuable items in it?

My guess is that if you use it to do illegal stuff, there are other laws that apply, and they won't need to use the "built with intent to conceal" law to prosecute you.

27. I just hope it was NOS. :)

metlmunchr and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. .......Gently used!:eek:

29. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Remember film cameras? Well Kodak supplied the film in lidded plastic film cans. (Really vintage H.A.M.B.ers will recall they were aluminum before that, but that was before my time.)

Anyhoo all the dopers carried their stash of Mexican mudbud in these cans, the mere sight of one of those film canisters in the console or glovebox meant probable cause to search. Haven't seen those cans in years.

All you youngsters have no idea what Double LP vinyl album covers were good for ;)

warbird1, 41 GMC K-18 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  30. patterg2003

patterg2003

I think you have to consider the term concealed & the legality of it's purpose. An easy to find compartment would not truly be concealed but is rather is out of sight. IMHO concealed would be a hidden compartment that is deliberately camouflaged so that it cannot be discovered. Its purpose legal or illegal. Watched too many cop shows where the drug dog finds an ingenious panel or part of a dash that comes off to hide drugs. That is concealed.

It is reasonable to have some way to secure items in a car. What is the issue of turning the key over to an officer if pulled over if the box has a legal purpose with legal contents? No different than being asked to unlock a glove compartment. I have been pulled over about 5 times in my life and only once asked if an officer could look in the car. The time we did get pulled over and searched was because the car with 2 young men matched the description of a vehicle involved in an armed robbery. It turned out that it was my girlfriend running a gas station that was robbed about an hour earlier.

Mr48chev and VANDENPLAS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.