Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A tree fell on my car!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by safetythird, Oct 8, 2020.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Ya Gotta Wanna (fix it)

Stogy and juan motime like this.
  2. not sure a white pine roof would look right on that car. :D

chryslerfan55, Stogy and safetythird like this.
  3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Isn't that a Property Insurance issue, instead of car insurance?

Lil32, flatford39 and Elcohaulic like this.
  4. I'm not sure property insurance ever covers cars. Same way if your garage burns down and an uninsured car is in the garage it is not covered so you are SOL.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. House for sale.....
    In the country.....
    Wooded lot, plenty of trees.

I apologize if my humor stings. o_O
    I sympathize. That really sucks. :(

chryslerfan55, Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  6. exterminator

exterminator

7. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Sorry to see that

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I didn't know this, never had to deal with it, I just assumed the property insurance was there for damages caused by your property. Is this true if it's someone else's property/tree that falls on your car? I would hope that if a tree on my property fell and damaged someone else's car, or injured somebody, my property insurance would cover it.

9. Usually the car owners insurance has to cover regardless of where the tree is. Unless the tree was a known problem that can be proven the "owner" of the tree is not usually responsible.

10. hudson48

hudson48

Including your girlfriends chest!!
    friends

Lil32 likes this.
  11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Why do they always miss the modern shit?

bchctybob and safetythird like this.
  12. gene-koning

gene-koning

Sorry about the OP's car, that really sucks.
    House/property insurance does not cover anything car specific. That includes car parts, and tools that are designed to work on cars.
    We had straight wind damage to our garage. The garage was literally blown apart, and the 3 cars inside were all damaged. The contents of my garage were blown across 6-8 city blocks! The replacement insurance covered everything in the garage except the cars, and car specific tools, but to collect that, first they depreciated everything, then you had to replace it to get paid for it.

The garage roof blew off intact and flew 150 feet away and got caught in our neighbors tree. His home owners insurance had to cover the cost of cleaning up my roof! Once the roof left my yard, where it landed, according to the insurance company "Is an act of God." and is the responsibility of the property owner of where ever it landed.

I also discovered that all the detached buildings, sheds, and equipment on your property are only covered by a total of 10% of the total value your home is insured for. That means, if your house is insured for $100,000, and the detached garage, detached machine shed, the 8' x 10' tool shed, the zero turn mower, mega cook outdoor grill, the patio set, the fine rock picnic table, and the entire privacy fence, are only covered for $10,000 TOTAL. Yes, if its all destroyed, you get $10,000 for all of it, unless everything is added to your home owners insurance policy. I got a little over $8,000 for my insulated, wired, and heated 3 stall garage that was a total loss. Lesson learned! Gene

chryslerfan55, Lil32 and 5window like this.
  13. Squablow

Squablow

I think I'd put some heavy beams between the rockers and jack up the roof in the center before I cut it off for a swap. Try to get the A pillars back into place and make sure the side windows can roll down without pinching. Might even be able to use a long cherry picker/engine crane or overhead chain hoist, with a metal pull-plate welded to the center of the crease in the roof to pull it out.

I'd be worried the tops of the rear quarters at the B pillars are pulled in slightly and cutting the roof free in it's current shape they may not spring back into place, that's why I'd suggest the roof pull first. Then brace it up front to back and side to side, then a roof swap.

Roof swap is not that hard, it's easier than chopping a top since you know where all the pieces are supposed to line up, and you can use the factory glass to doublecheck everything.

That super sucks, and I feel for you. I wouldn't worry too much though, it's very fixable.

14. All of this varies by policy. My policy covers anything that is not a vehicle including car parts(as long as they are not on a car), any tools etc up to $100,000.

Sent from my 9024O using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and 57JoeFoMoPar like this.

15. ^^^^^^If you don't mind sharing, who is your insurance with?

chryslerfan55 and 5window like this.
  16. I am in Canada and use a Canadian company (Intact) so probably not much help for you. There may very well be different rules up here as well which could account for the differences although I have seen a number of Americans on different forums say that their insurance covered everything (including uninstalled car parts) other than vehicles as well.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  17. We had the same storm roll thru our town probably 1 hours before you...we had 2 guys get killed...one young guy was only 24 years old...a tree fell on his car as he was driving it...the other guy was on the golf course...

Damn that poor old Falcon...they are such cool cars too...

Hoping you can get it fixed

18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

36DB8B3E-75B9-4010-89D7-E0BB995248FC.jpeg

Falcon ranchero roadster

chryslerfan55 and Elcohaulic like this.
  19. ahshoe

ahshoe

Did it get onto(into) the cowl ,package tray area and or trunk area? Is it aV8 car? Just curious.

20. safetythird

safetythird

It crushed the cowl.

IMG_20201009_181134203.jpg

Everything behind the rear glass looks like new.

V8 with a five speed.

21. bummer. you had done such a great job with the car. 20191112_132313.jpg

chryslerfan55, Lil32 and safetythird like this.
  22. bchctybob

bchctybob

Oh jeez, I can just imagine how you felt coming around the corner and seeing all your work smashed like that, kinda sick in the pit of your stomach. And it's the body style with the nice graceful C pillar, damn.

23. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

24. safetythird

safetythird

Thanks, that means a lot coming from you. Your work is impressive.

I don't have a lot of full shots of it done, but I do have a video.

It was a daily driver for years and I was going to get rid of it but my wife wanted it, so I prettied it up and made all the controls fit her tiny self.

20200818_195119.jpg

It's not sitting level any more. How can I check if the unibody is tweaked?

25. richard.orlandi

richard.orlandi

26. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Thats a shame, it looks shot to me, time for a new one..

That is so cool looking!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  27. '34 Ratrod

'34 Ratrod

I'm glad to hear Hagerty took care of someone, they sure didn't help me when my '62 Chevy ll got hit and took out the front end. They barely paid half..

28. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

The Bald eagles almost exclusively nest in white pines!!!

29. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Hagerty covered mine. I bought it back from the insurance company and bought my '50 Ford, swapped frames, did some bodywork and been driving it 9 years now.

But...it took some time to get it straightened out. Maybe 3 months to get paid.

30. not true

Chicster and Elcohaulic like this.