Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Early Corvette drag racing Tips and tricks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lumpy 63, Oct 6, 2020.

1. badshifter

badshifter

IMG_3890.JPG IMG_3891.JPG IMG_3892.JPG Putting this one back on the street after an early drag race life.

2. vetrod62

vetrod62

Amen on that, the reason the are rare to today is that I blew up so many of them. But that was what was around back then. If you want a 4 speed , I recommend a Muncie. Plus restorers will big $$ for them.

loudbang and lumpy 63 like this.
  3. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I bought a brand new super T10 in the early 90s , had the 288 first gear. Split it clean in half behind the 406 in my 64 Chevy II on 7" slicks.

Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  4. vetrod62

vetrod62

How about his one?

upload_2020-10-8_23-3-53.png

Deuces, Hren59, 31hotrodguy and 8 others like this.
  5. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Dude that is a nice car.
    jp

lumpy 63 and loudbang like this.
  6. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

Hey JP, glad to see you are on here. You have a “cool” very fast car. I’m sure we can learn some things from your experience

lumpy 63, jackal396 and loudbang like this.
  7. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Thanks for the words, Jim or vetrod has helped alot, he is very wise.
    jp

loudbang and lumpy 63 like this.
  8. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

That's a real nice car!!!

[​IMG]

scotty t and loudbang like this.
  9. vetrod62

vetrod62

Thanks for the good comments on Butch's car. I have driven his car many times and have spent many hours working on it. It was a major part of his life. We raced each other almost 50 years. My favorite picture of him in his last years.

upload_2020-10-9_18-51-34.png

Deuces, bowie, Elcohaulic and 6 others like this.
  10. vetrod62

vetrod62

Now for back to business, the name of this thread is "corvette-drag-racing-tips-and-tricks" this has both in it, and not the good way. I keep seeing adds for Super comp. corvette headers on the internet and else where. These are hooker comps #2456HKR with 1 5/8" tubes, not Hooker Super Comps with 1 3/4" tubes and tuned length. That have been discontinued. The 2456 headers fit no angle plug heads I know of. They will need major tube modifications to use with angle plug heads. The 2108 headers will fit several angle plug heads, including AFR 227/235 heads. Here is a copy of an email I sent to someone a few years ago. I do not know how they can legally get away with this. I have had all these headers at the same time and compared them. Jim

I actually have experience in this subject. My C1 drag racing series, the North Jersey Outlaws, Most of the fast cars run angle plug heads. The big fact that no one will say is, all angle plug heads have different locations of where the plugs are located. Nice!!

What I do know for angle plug heads is:

1. Hedman 68130 or 68136 are a great buy. Easy install and cheap. Not made for several years. See them , buy them. I use them on my car with Brodix heads. Collector to chassis alignment is about 1/2 collector too low.
    I know where a set is and the owner is never going to use them.

2. Hooker 2108HKR, super comps, best header over the counter. But they say no angle plugs or 168 flywheel. BS. They work with AFR 227/235 heads. Will not work with Edlebrock Vic Jr heads. Other heads, I do not know.

168 tooth fly wheel works with a mini starter with lots of clearance. I had to notch the scatter shield to clear the right side flange. Collector to chassis alignment is close.

I have an extra set, but they are spoken for, but not paid for.

3. I have a set of hooker comps #2456 that fit Edlebrock victor Jr. heads, but with welded tube modifications that work. But do not work with the AFR heads. Collector to chassis alignment is close.

Basically it is a test fit to see if it works.

If you can ship me a head, I can test fit it.

If are going to run a 383 or a 406, you will need breathing for the engine, even if built very mild. And I am talking long tube headers. Not those super shorty tubes that are barely better than stock manifolds.

I built a 2.5" mandrill bent exhaust system on my car in the avatar with Flowmaster mufflers that turns the same 1/4 mile times open or closed. Jim

11. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Jim I have a set of in chassis 1 3/4" headers but was planning on a custom set of fenderwell headers partly because my car had the inner fenders cut out years ago. any thoughts? Thanks Colin

12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Colin, (and Jim) what do you think about a set of Tubular Automotive Headers, similar to the ones you sold me for my red car, only for a small block? They are the best sounding and looking headers I have seen or owned. Colin, if you look at pictures of the 57 Vette called Hayseed you will see he ran Tubular Automotive back in the 60s (under body not fenderwell). They built headers since the 60s for C1 Vettes (big block and small block). They are similar to fenderwell headers. They are thin wall big tube headers.

13. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

Stahl Engineering had a Corvette fenderwell Header that also fit Willys 1 3/4 I believe they are still in business with a new owner .

14. jimdillon

jimdillon

I did not know Stahl was still fabricating headers. In my next life I will have a set of 180* headers similar to the ones that Stahl made.

31hotrodguy, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  15. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Jim D are the headers on your red car fenderwells?

loudbang likes this.
  16. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Stahl is called APC headers now. website not too informative.

31hotrodguy, loudbang and C1/C2Guy like this.
  17. vetrod62

vetrod62

I would have liked fender well headers when I built the black car. But could not find any. So I went with under car ones. Truth be told, I wanted them for appearance, but closed up with a 90* off pipes, they would lose power. . Hot Rod did a test on headers for a mildly built 350 years ago. From 1.5 " to 2' tubes. Test results were.... 1.625" (1 5/8") and above there were no big advantage. I think the whole header thing is miss represented just to sell headers, unless you are racing in Pro stock and 5 hp is a big deal on a 1400 hp engine. It is amazing that I can run exact times exhaust open or closed, but open it really sounds cool!!

Go for the fender wells if that is what you want, In our level or racing it really means nothing. You only live once. Jim

18. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Thanks Jim, I think thats the direction I will go. Maybe next we can pick your brain on rear springs and traction bars?

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

This is a cool thread Lumpy.

20. vetrod62

vetrod62

Jim D, Tubular Automotive built the headers for my 1000HP red car. The super comps from hooker cost double the price of the hooker 2456 comps because of the extra time to get less than 10 HP more in the 2108s. Basically length tuning. I watched them (TBA) build my 532'' BBC headers, they never measured any lengths of the tubes. To be honest, exhaust sound comes from compression and cam selection. Tubular Automotive is on my go to list. Jim

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  21. jimdillon

jimdillon

Colin, I ended up with too many pictures on my computer and started pulling some off and I am not sure where all my pics are of the red car. Here are a couple of pics. You can see the headers basically go out thru the inner fenders very similar to fenderwell-had to remove the battery and put it in the trunk. I could take some pictures tomorrow, if you wanted me to. They are big block but I spoke to them a number of years ago about a set for a small block and then they said they could make some up. I have suggested others use them and one I know of told me he was happy with them. 11-14-12 032.JPG
    Vette-R-2 018.jpg

Deuces, C1/C2Guy, 31hotrodguy and 4 others like this.
  22. vetrod62

vetrod62

Funny thing, Scott asked me about the same thing yesterday. I need to know your future max hp and what traction mods you are willing to do. Maybe I can answer both of you in the same post or email. I can tell you how to get so much traction that you can break any part of you drive train no matter how strong it is. Than hate me. Jim

23. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Thats pretty much what I'm thinking Jim. Keep the tube's low away from the fenders.

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  24. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Hp level around 475- 525. I was thinking home made bars that smack the spring eye slightly behind center. I realize that Cal Tracs and such work pretty good but I want to be period looking and have had a few cars that hooked hard as #$&% with traction bars.

C1/C2Guy, 31hotrodguy, enloe and 2 others like this.
  25. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Anybody remember Douglass headers and exhaust systems. They were in Bell Gardens California.. They had some of the nicest sounding mufflers... That's a pair of Douglass Super Sport mufflers..

Attached Files:

bchctybob, 31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  26. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

loudbang likes this.
  27. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

loudbang likes this.
  28. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Hey Scott My 327:rolleyes: ... will be about 10. 75 thats about the limit and only because the aluminum heads dissipate heat so well.

C1/C2Guy and loudbang like this.
  29. vetrod62

vetrod62

Jim,
    Your roll bar looks great! That actually solves some problems for me in my corvette brain.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/QUOTE]

If you want, I can Then send mounting photos that I could not load to this web site via email. For you and Colin, with the HP he thinks he may eventually have, you will need some wide tires. Have you and him thought about that??

Sorry for the long response times, But I am selling my house and have 3 different inspectors coming in 36 hours to tear apart my house. Worked all day to finish many projects. By Monday night I should have more time for Internet stuff. Jim

C1/C2Guy, lumpy 63 and scotty t like this.
  30. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Great minds thunk alike

Injector and cam will be my limiting factors. Currently going to get it running with the 340hp, then injector. Then eventually ported heads and 375hp cam with 61 big injector. So basically 375hp long block, 61 injector. Nothing to crazy for me. Think more JR Stock with some cheating.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

enloe, Chuck Norton, loudbang and 2 others like this.