Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods # 10 Track Roadster Build- Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jan 24, 2020.

1. bymanr

bymanr

Condolences Marty, the good times with Ernie will live on through the Blue Roadster.

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  2. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

@Marty Strode What a great story about your friendship. So sorry for your loss and condolences to his family.

3. You have written so much about Ernie it almost seemed that we knew him too.
    So sorry to hear of his passing.

Mick

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Sorry to hear of Ernie's passing, I could see how close he was to you, good friends are so rare.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What Paul said Marty, so sorry to hear about Ernie, a friendship like this is cherished.
    I've heard of him for many years and as near together as we are I'm surprised I never got to meet Ernie.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to admit I had a tear in my eye after reading your post and then seeing Ernie kissing his roadster goodbye. So sorry for the loss of your friend @Marty Strode

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

So sorry Marty. My sincerest condolences. Lippy

8. Sorry to hear that you lost your old pal.
    What great memories you have to cherish and hold close.

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks for all of the replies, it means a lot at this time. Ernie was always game to join in on any of the wild ideas I could come up with. A shining example is this tale of a 46 Merc. When we were collecting running gear parts for the Track Roadsters, this rusty old 4 door came up for sale. We split the cost of $500. because it had been parked for 40 years, last driven in '57, and had a re-built 59 A engine. We hauled it to my place, and after getting it off the trailer, Ern headed home. He didn't get 2 blocks away, an idea popped in my head, and I couldn't wait to tell him he was going to be "Stunt Man". There is a 1/4 mile dirt track 8 miles from me, and a close friend was running it at the time. The promoter was planning a 50's night, with vintage cars running, and he loved the idea, so we went to work getting the car ready. It was such a hit, Ern made the jump 3 years in a row, and forced me to ride along in the last one. Pat was gracious to tell the story in RJ. Ern was quite a pal ! img20180723_19193753.jpg img20180723_19223930.jpg img20180723_19253367.jpg img20180723_19142525.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Tim, dwollam, Tman and 19 others like this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

My condolences Marty on the loss of your great friend, but thank you so much for sharing those stories, what a great read!

11. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Marty, so sorry to hear about Ernies passing. My condolences to you and his family.

12. My sincerest condolences on the passing of your best friend of many years.

May he rest in peace for ever and ever.

Keith.

13. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

You know where to find me. Nicely written words my friend.

Larry

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. My condolences as well, Marty. It sounds like you were able to give him a great send off. That is something that life rarely allows us when we lose a loved one.

Stogy, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I moved Ernie's Roadster to it's storage spot for the Winter. Back to work on Friday. Thank you all ! IMG_5538.JPG

embyman68, Jet96, Blues4U and 14 others like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to you Marty and to the Martin Family and Friends in the passing of Ernie...thank you for sharing this moving loss of a friend with passion that we certainly can relate to...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Blues4U, vtwhead and loudbang like this.
  17. catdad49

catdad49

Tough to hear about the lose of your Pal, Ernie. Not many of us are lucky enough to have a relationship like this and for that you should be very Thankful. Unfortunately, it takes a much longer time to get over the loss, but when you're feeling a little down just think back on all the great things that you shared with this man. Adios, "Mad Man"!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  18. Sorry to hear of Ernie's passing. Sounds like a helluva friend!

loudbang likes this.
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Marty...news of Ernie's passing hit me hard. Even though there was that '90 days', there was (always) still hope. Thanks for the story, it was read with interest.
    Be well, my friend...Godspeed Ernie.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

It is always sad to see a friend and fellow club member go.

loudbang likes this.
  21. earlymopar

earlymopar

Marty, thanks for posting the story of Ernie. What a great friendship and with so many good times to reflect on.

loudbang likes this.
  22. A Boner

A Boner

Ernie having some fun!
    RIP
    E105F112-90D9-4789-BDA8-990FB9F1D180.png

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Boner, your timing is perfect to surface this thread. The radiator I had special built at The Brassworks, arrived today. What a great piece of craftsmanship, and Lee was a pleasure to deal with. I shipped him the grille shell, to insure a flawless fit at the filler neck, and is just that. The next thing to do, is attaching the shell to the side channels, then getting the unit mounted to the chassis this week. Once set at the proper height and angle, I can form and fit the hood. Lately I have been building the frame for the English wheel kit I purchased late last year. I have been getting along with a HF wheel, and it's a great tool to get started with, but I felt the need for a better tool. Trick Tools recommends using 4" X 3", 1/4" wall tube for the main frame. I had some 6" X 3" and 5" X 3", both with 1/4" wall, that I used, to make it even more rigid. Once its on wheels, I can hardly wait to try it out ! IMG_5599.JPG IMG_5598.JPG IMG_5600.JPG IMG_5585.JPG IMG_5584.JPG

24. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

loudbang likes this.
  25. embyman68

embyman68

Marty, when you have a minute, I sent you a private message.

26. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Here's one I did. One thing I added was numbers on the kick wheel which was very useful for re-establishing pressure/ wheel clearance from day-to-day or piece-to-piece. A very useful feature for me. Also, I made the legs removeable so the next owner can shorten them to suit his height.

Attached Files:

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That looks like a nice one. I am making the lower legs/wheel frame removable as well. Working on it today.

brEad and loudbang like this.
  28. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Master Yoda Strode, we need more training! Please show more progress on any one of your 3 projects. I need inspiration to keep going on my piddling efforts.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Actually I have 5 projects at present, the rains have started, I will be back to this one in a day or so. I always wondered what this Yoda, you speak of is, had to look it up. I wasn't sure if it was a compliment. You are too kind !

brEad and loudbang like this.
  30. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Being a sci-fi fan I only intended it to be a compliment. And you have actually inspired me to finally get to work on a project I have ruminated on for many years, and collected parts for since my dirt track days. I love the ideas you put into practice, and can only wish I could lay down a bead half as good as yours. Mine are strucurally good, just penny, nickle, dime,dime, penny, dime, nickle... you get the picture. I'm mostly a mig man. And you know what mig stands for: maybe its good!