Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 6 volt Hemi Starter on 12 volts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dwollam, Oct 5, 2020.

1. dwollam

dwollam

I am planning to run the '52 331 Chrysler Hemi in my '33 Plymouth Coupe on 12 volt. I'm not worried about the starter itself but what about the 6 volt solenoid? Should that be switch for a '56-'57 Chrysler 12 volt? Here is a pick of the current setup. I'm thinking the 12 volt ones have 4 terminals instead of 3. One terminal go to a ballast resistor?

Dave

20201005_182007.jpg

2. 42merc

42merc

Is your starter an Autolite or a Delco ?
    Really doesn't matter. The 4th terminal is the 12 volt coil source for by passing the resister.
    I used a 6 volt Delco starter & solenoid on the Cad motor in my '40 for several years before switching to a converted Nipondenso 12 volt unit. The only problem I ran into with the 6 volt unit was the starter drive took a beating from the 12 volt impact.
    On the Delco unit the 12 volt solenoid is not a direct change with the 6 volt unit, but can be made to fit by slotting the mounting holes.

dwollam likes this.
  3. dwollam

dwollam

Thanks for the reply. It is an Autolite. I run my Model A starters on 12 volt with modern Bendix drives in them but they are mechanical engage, not solenoid. I've seen the original Model T and Model A drives tear up on 12 volt. I wouldn't mind getting a later starter if they will fit. I do think the starter drive will hold up ok in the Autolite starter but am concern about the solenoid.

Dave

4. dwollam

dwollam

No Hemi experts on starters? Will later 12 volt Hemi starters fit?

Dave

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Not an expert on Hemis, but 6 volt starters love 12 volts!

Bones

6. 41hemi

41hemi

I've been running a 6 volt starter on my 1956 354 hemi in my 52 Ford pickup on 12 volts for about 15 years now. No problems at all. I'm using the 6 volt solenoid also. I think you should be fine using the 6 volt solenoid/starter.

dwollam likes this.
  7. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have done a number of 6 to 12 volt conversions on both automotive and industrial applications. As a general statement I have found that the 6 volt starter motor usually has no issues with the extra voltage. However the extra slamming on the bendix drive is the big variable. Some drives take it in stride. Others just don't. If you want best reliability, go with a 12 volt starter.

dwollam likes this.
  8. dwollam

dwollam

Thanks for the replies. Anyone else?

Dave

9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually a 6 volt starter draws more Amps on 12 volts than it does on 6 volts so make sure you stay with heavy enough gauge wire.
    You can probably get away with it for a long time and the mode of failure will be that a field will short to the case.
    Go for it and if your engine doesn't fire off right away, dont lay on the starter for long periods of time...

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I ran my 50 Olds with a 12 volt battery (starter only) for years and it loved it, They sold kits to do this in those days. My experience with Chryslers is that the ring gear on 6 volt motors is quite a bit courser than the 12 volt motors. You might want to look at this.

11. dwollam

dwollam

I have a 12 volt solenoid coming. Gonna run it and see what happens.

Thanks guys.

Dave