Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Advice for metal emblem on curved surface

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodjohn71, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Hotrodjohn71

Hotrodjohn71

How would you affix a metal flat emblem to a curved surface for instance to a Moon hubcap or a rounded valve cover?
    I have an idea to attach Pontiac Firebird Rally 2 emblems to a set of chrome Moon style hubcaps on Cragar Smoothies for a look I am trying to get. I'm not sure how to bend the emblems so they will fit smoothly on the curved surface. Do you have any ideas?

2. Hotrodjohn71

Hotrodjohn71

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Probably forget the real emblem and print out or buy a decal and use. Other options are to get the caps embossed and paint it but that would be an expensive ordeal unless your crafty enough to make your own dies or flat spot the cap so the emblem fits. Cutting reliefs in the back of the emblem will ruin it . If you have the $$$ people get things one off (or four/five) for custom applications.

kadillackid and dana barlow like this.
  4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Above ideas make sense. You can't bend pot metal without it cracking and breaking.
    With today's graphics technology you could get that emblem duplicated as a stick on.

dana barlow likes this.

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

Actually, you can bend pot metal. I learned that right here on the HAMB. There was a thread about repairing a '40 Ford speaker grille where the guy heated the part with a propane torch and bent it. I tried this on a rear view mirror that I couldn't adjust properly. It will bend. Just be careful and good luck.

6. goldmountain,

The torch-heating method may not work on modern (CHINESE CASTING) pot metal.
    I have seen castings quickly melt and/or catch fire and burn when the heat from a torch was gently applied...

7. Depending on the gradient of the curve you can maybe use 3M double-sided emblem tape by shingling multiple layers at the ends and gradually eliminating layers toward the middle. That could work up to about a 1/8". The tape has a foamy quality to conform somewhat.
    Personally, I prefer the Indian logo for any '50s vehicle or older. I believe the arrowhead wasn't used until '59. (I think?) So the arrowhead on anything older, to me, would be a big no-no. Plus, the Indian head would be a lot more compact and stick on a curved surface with no problems.

Joe Blow likes this.
  8. Depending on your metal working skills, you could trace the design in the hub cap, then try to flatten out that area where the emblem would be slightly inset into the hub cap. HRP

9. Dirk35

Dirk35

It would be easier and cheaper to just machine a aluminum (or stainless) spacer with the back side curved and the front side flat, then cut it to the shape of the emblem. You could do it with hand tools yourself with the aluminum. You can get 6061 aluminum sheet, bars, and cubes from Master Carr pretty cheap.

If your emblems are REPO or in good shape and don't need re-chromed, Id go this route. If they have to be re-chromed, then Id probably try to bend them like the others have said using a couple of old crummy ones to test it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  10. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

To mount this flat emblem on a curved deck lid I made a temporary die using “All Metal”. The female die was pulled from the deck lid, then I pressed the emblem between the die halves. I did have it re chromed because the chrome was bad before I started. It is held in place with 3m adhesive trim tape.
    8AFA1DAC-F056-4D37-9B7F-04F86E873F80.jpeg

kadillackid, Joe Blow and Happydaze like this.
  11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Dirk 35 has the best idea. That way you won't damage the hubcap or the emblem.

12. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Joe hit a home run.

kadillackid likes this.
  14. Something was itching the back of my brain. So I checked Google and cheeseBay and sure enough, there's a cubic ton of plastic, Pontiac arrowheads for sale.
    Adios, my work here is done. :p

kadillackid likes this.