Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's just fine down there. It's home to the closest accessible In-N-Out, so I definitely make the trip south from time to time. Gotta love the unique architecture of Daly City!

gimpyshotrods and Elcohaulic like this.
  2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Last night I was reviewing my copy of The Ford Model A, As Henry Built It and I discovered something. The bottom caption indicates that the Deluxe Windshield is slightly lower than the Standard. I wonder if that means that I now have one of each in my possession, rather than a chopped one and a stock one? Seeing that the black "chopped" windshield frame is chrome underneath, it checks out. Plus the stanchions that came with the car are chrome... 62374091622__B5D9485E-A4C6-458C-BAC9-F36D5E078BC6.jpg
    Also, the previous owner sent me this photo. He found the lower stanchions! He says he'll be shipping them to me shortly. His '36 Ford roadster is powered by a four-carbed flathead and is super cool.
    IMG_0701.jpg

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

If the car was a deluxe it should also have holes for the cowl lights.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

slv63, Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry, what I meant was that it had Deluxe components. No sign of cowl light holes or repairs.

7. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I reminded me of Pittsburgh..

8. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Those coils will overheat being upside down..

loudbang likes this.
  9. Will they? I'm 6 or so years in with an upside-down coil and never had an issue....and I have put more than my fair share of miles in it.

10. If you have chrome windshield upper stanchions, and not stainless steel they are early 1930. Late 1930, and 1931 were stainless steel. Also look at the inner edge of the upper stanchions, There are thin stanchion, and thick stanchion material. Also the standard stanchions are relatively straight at the top, whereas the deluxe stanchions are tilted forward where the top irons attach. If the top irons are chrome plated, they are deluxe top irons. Standard top irons are tubular, and usually painted black.

11. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Are your coils oil filled or epoxy? I never had an actual issue with coils being upside down, its was something I always heard..

Stogy likes this.
    chryslerfan55, Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks for the input and encouragement, everyone. @nickthebandit, I'll take a closer look at them this weekend and see what I have.

Today was a big day for both me and the car. After clearing some space in the new garage, I decided that it was time to drive it over. I had completed my pre-move checklist. Water pump? Check. Seat base? Check. Floor stained and sealed? Check. Removed running board mounts? Check. Brake rod install and adjustment? Check. I poured in a little bit of gas and got ready to go. But when I went to start it, the car had other plans. After several attempts, I ran the battery down under 12V trying to start it.

A little bit bummed, I threw it on the trickle charger while I went back to work. In the back of my mind, I thought about what may have caused the drain. Well, I hadn't driven it in over a month, so it could have been that. Also, the fuel bowl had some crud in it. So when I came back during lunch time, I cleaned the fuel bowl and it fired right up with the freshly charged battery.

With a little bit of help from the neighbor, I was able to back it out onto my busy street. Before I knew it, I was grabbin' gears (gently) and cruising around the neighborhood. Talk about being on top of the world! Just like last time, people were definitely confused. I loved every second of it.

That is, until I hit the top of the hill by my new house and ran out of gas. I coasted on to my new street with my heart pounding. Yes, it was mostly due to the excitement, but also because I had to push the car up another hill. Luckily, two new (to me) neighbors jumped in and helped me out. I told them to stop by for a cold one next time they saw the garage door open.

With the roadster basically in front of my driveway, I snagged one of my gas cans and get some gas in it. Even then it had less than two gallons in it (under 1/4 tank) and it was kind of hard to start. I wasn't 100% sure if it was still a battery issue or if it was just too little gas. Coming from the vintage motorcycle world (read: gravity feed), I know that it's pretty damn difficult to start an old machine that's low on gas.

When I start the car and have it idle, the ammeter reads zero. When I feather the throttle, it goes to heavy discharge and then quickly back to zero. As far as I know, that's normal because it shows it's charging? After putting in more gas, I fired up the car two more times today just to see how it's doing. No issues were had.

Even though it took some doing, I'm proud of the little roadster and its big trip to the new place. Once I finish moving, I'm really going to get down to business.

14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Now, for some photos. IMG_0711.jpg
    Last night at the old garage. You guys probably have had this feeling before, but I had to take a step back and say "Damn, I can't believe this car is mine."
    IMG_0720.jpg
    I think it's pretty interesting how the roadster's calico color pallete perfectly matches the old garage. I'm going to miss the place, that's for sure. IMG_0715.jpg Here's the completed seat and almost finished floor. I still have to bolt it down, but I'm going to do that once the brakes are how I want them and the battery box is painted and detailed. I went with black stain and spar urethane. Don't worry, I'm going to clean up the wiring a little bit more too.

15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Home safely! I can't tell you how good it felt to have made it. It wasn't all that far, but it was all city driving in a car that hasn't seen the road in half a century. IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    My new place was built in 1922. I can't wait to get the garage set up so then I can really turn some wrenches. I'll chalk up today as a win!

16. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All kinds of AWESOME!

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Congrats on the journey!

18. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff. Thanks for the update. That bus seat looks right at home there.jmho. Snowman

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  19. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

Very kool :cool:

20. On mine the amp gauge reads zero at idle but as you give it gas it goes up to 6 or 8 on the charge side. It shouldn't show discharge unless lights are on for a while so I believe you might want to check your generator.

Stogy, chryslerfan55, slv63 and 3 others like this.
  21. Yep. Sounds like maybe your cutout is stuck.

Stogy likes this.
  22. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Kool as it gets, I may not have been there but I was grinning along with you as I read..

Stogy, nunattax, The 39 guy and 3 others like this.
  23. Who needs a windshield? :rolleyes: :D ...

'30~'31 Model A Roadster at a 1949 Mojave Timing Asscociation meet.jpg
    A very C:cool::cool:L '30-'31 Model A Roadster at a circa 1949 dry lakes meet​

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  24. Or is the ammeter wired backwards?

25. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went ALL thru this a couple years back. Oil filled coils, if not completely filled (shake it), will overheat upside down...it leaves part of the coil out of the oil coolant.

Mine was wicked hot. Right side up (contacts on top), ran 30* cooler. Proof enuf for me.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and jim snow like this.
  26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

During lunch today, I tested the battery with a multimeter. 12.65V with the ignition off. Then I started it up and, at idle, it was up over 13V. When I feathered the throttle, it was above 14—even though the ammeter on the dash read discharge and then back to zero. Backwards? I think so. After reversing the wires, it reads around zero at idle and the charge level spikes when I hit the throttle. Nice to have that sorted out.

Other than that, not much progress today. I ordered hood latches and the final two screws for the door hinge assembly. Maybe it'll get doors soon? I have one rumble seat hinge and I'm on the market for another if anyone has one that they're holding.

27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

There's a lot to like there, and I do plan to run a Deuce shell when I save up some more money. Think I'd take some heat for sporting those pipes in 2020? Hahaha

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was my turn-around spot, when testing bikes, when I lived on Grove.

Stogy, chryslerfan55, J.Ukrop and 3 others like this.
  29. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool project indeed!

30. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I have a pair of rumble hinges I removed when I converted my coupe back to a trunk. I’m sure they are older reproductions.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app