Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What electric fuel pump you suggest for a mild 327 SBC with 3 x 2's Stromberg 97's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by da34guy, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Just like the title says Which 1 ??

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

The Carter P4070 is a 4 P.S.I. pump. You will still need to plumb a fuel regulator and pressure gauge into the system and regulate it down to 2.5 P.S.I. to the Strombergs.

Nailhead Jason and jimmy six like this.
  3. I can agree with P4070 also. I only use it to prime the carb or if I get a vapor lock. Most of the time I run on the GM Performance Parts mechanical pump.
    Phil

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  4. wicarnut

wicarnut

I've been running the in line external small clicker type mounted near gas tank rated 6#/7# with a pressure regulator set at 4#, Edelbrock carb. Adjust regulator down as needed for the strombergs. No problems 4/5 years, but I carry a spare (clicker pump, they are inexpensive) In years past I've used the external electric Blue Holly fuel pump and was not impressed with their life.

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm using a Carter fuel pump that I bought at a swap meet. Inside the box was the original 40 year old sales receipt - the pump had never been used. I read the horror stories about ethanol so I hope it works out.

6. I like a Holley Blue pump for a street pump. I suppose that a red pump would work as well.

7. RmK57

RmK57

Carter P4070 are quiet and dependable. Nothing noisier than a Holley blue or other hammering away all the time. You'll get tired of it pretty quick.
    Why not a performance mechanical pump?

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If I'm forced to go electric because of space restrictions, I've used the Mallory electric fuel pumps with good success. The 22256 isn't cheap at $265, but never had one fail me.
    But if I can use a mechanical on my builds I sure do whenever possible! On my last build the 1990 SBC roller motor was machined for a mechanical fuel pump mounting, so I bought the pieces to make it mechanical and love it!

9. 4tford

4tford

I run the carter 4psi pump on my 392 hemi with 2 4bbls it's been fine for 18 years so far. The eldebrock carbs like less then 6psi that I'm running.

10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey guys remember the OP is running strombergs ,not Edelbrocks or 2 4bbl .It doesn’t matter that its a SBC just the strombergs matter. The facet type pump is a noisy critter but at least when you turn the key on you know you have fuel. They seem to be very reliable , well I have never had one fail. Do not use the rotary type pressure regulator if you choose to fit one as they tend to self adjust .I got my carter from rock auto.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-F...165835?hash=item3b3f4e4a0b:g:y7EAAOSwUOJeFCPk
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...436671&hash=item2d198a40fe:g:vqYAAOSwfztbUy7g

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  11. When I was Drag racing I ran 2 Carter Electric fuel pump's
    mounted in the Fuel tank, & they Never let me down.
    so I used them on my Merc, 327/300hp, They are Rotor type Pumps

Just my 3./5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

12. I got tired of pumps crapping out with ethanol gas......now use a Carter P4389......good for gasoline, alcohol, diesel, just about anything you can burn. Very quiet and reliable on my cars.

13. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Mild 327!! , 365 hp or more ? If so Install a Fourth carb , you would be surprised
    The difference, Black Holley pump Aeromotive pumps ,( just two company's) use a good regulator that will hold 3psi or less , & does not restrict volume/ flow Or run return line set up .

Just Gary likes this.