Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So what do you call it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Oct 8, 2020.

1. I been rolling this around in my head. I suppose it is hypothetical or opinion more than anything else. So let me throw my disclaimer out there first. Please do not make this a drama fest, a little respect goes a long ways.

Still reading?

In the '70s I think it was that I read in an article in a car magazine that made the claim than anything that did not have a split windshield was not a hot rod. I have thought back on how narrow that article was considering that split windshields did not come about until boat fender cars. I actually think that the premise was that anything newer that the split windshield era was not a hot rod.

So we are always ready to pigeon hole everything. My question comes about because I have an attraction to cars built between '54 and '64 +/- and I am not necessarily a custom guy. What do you call a car from that era that goes faster and handles better than the original?

Just so you can beat on me of you like I have always figured a souped up late model to be a hot rod.

Your turn. Remember be nice and don't fight.

2. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve always thought that anything made to go faster than original was a hotrod. Not talking about tuner cars, but even many OT vehicles of the HAMB.

3. Callmaker

Callmaker

HOTROD plain and simple..

ratrodrodder, loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. and the drama begins. Thanks man.

5. Budget36

Budget36

D
    Naw. It just wants attention.

Good post/topic. Hope it stays

6. 34Larry

34Larry

Tell us how you really feel.:eek:

7. fuzzface

fuzzface

yep, I was taught doesn't matter what it is if it goes faster than a stock one, it is a hotrod. if it has just different body mods then it was a customized car and then you can have a customized hotrod if it has both engine upgrades and body mods and then if you have just a plain jane factory car then we call those boring cars.

8. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

I agree with fuzzface.

0NE BAD 51 MERC and loudbang like this.
  9. Go fast is a HOT ROD to me, and IMHO if it's got red primer it's a HOT ROD, regardless of what it is if you wanna call it a HOT ROD who am I to tell you that your wrong!

And Beeno, your right, there seems to be a over abundance of chest pounding bravado as of late. :rolleyes: HRP

10. I have 'hot rodded" several cars later than the split window models. But I always thought of a true hot rod as 1948 and older even though I call later models hot rods for lack of a better term.

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am going to paint everything in red primer now . :)

porknbeaner, Blues4U, dan31 and 3 others like this.
  12. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Street Machine

clem likes this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Parse and parsnips Beaner.
    As a Noun "a Hot Rod is what this site is dedicated to and easily identified by all who are found worthy.
    As a Verb "I hot rodded my Prius with flames and dubs"
    As an Adjective "That hot rod miata makes me throw up a little in the back of my mouth"
    As an Adverb "He hot-roddedly customized his Schwinn by adding playing cards in the spokes.

14. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Seems a totally unrelated criteria.
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to it

loudbang likes this.
  15. The earliest hot rods were the "tuners" of their day...

16. I must agree with Beaner or mine does not fit.
    ' Course, I'd agree with him anyway.:D:D

Ben

winduptoy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

Sure they were, but that was not my reference to the men/women tuning them. I’m sure you know what I am speaking of, unless you feel a fart pipe and neon lights under your import is a hotrod?

Sorry Beano, I know you said no drama, but when folks gotta find one word out of a response and try to twist it, just makes me go WTF?

I mean I could have pointed out that a hot rod can’t tune, but a hotrodder can, but I let that slide

Sigh

18. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

A '52 Chevy with dual pipes & 2 coils whacked off ...

scrubby2009 likes this.
  19. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

For some reason things that happened in the '70s are out of focus, ill-defined or foggy.:rolleyes:

ramblin dan, Truck64 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. unfinished

unfinished

But what about the poor color blind hotrodders?

chryslerfan55 and BamaMav like this.
  21. Growing up in the 80’s and 90’s anything built to go fast and handle better was a “ hot rod” or hot rodded “

customs are just that built to look cool “ low n slo n jus for sho “

I dunno I’ve owned a lot of o/t hot rods I guess.

Cause then you get into categories:

pre war

Gow jobs

hot iron

traditional

street freak

street rod

pro street

muscle car

gasser

then the whole sud section of 2 door 4 door coupes buckets sedans roadsters etc etc.

all cool and all “ hot rod “ inspired!!!

heck, even rodent ridiculous rods have a really really small spot in hot rodding.

the tuner generation owes itself to what all you older guys and they guys before you all looking for speed and looks it’s just transformed into computers and sensors and stuff from mechanical goodness is all.

All hot rods in my book.

22. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

@porknbeaner we are all built different, some like girls that are "thick" some like thin, some like red hair and some like blue eyes. Some want a hopped up banger while others have to have a big block blower setup.
    My only issue with your statement is "cars" I got to have me some trucks.

Whatever you do porky, just keep posting .... When porky post I listen ;)

23. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I prefer not to pigeon hole the term. However as a generic term I am guessing most people think of a roadster or a pre-1950's modified vehicle. A good trivia exercise would be to ask the man or woman on the street how they define it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

o_O

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  25. greybeard360

greybeard360

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All depends on how you split it I guess..... :)

BTW.... these are before the boat fenders.

Blues4U, 41 GMC K-18, clem and 4 others like this.
  26. goldmountain

goldmountain

That split windshield idea works for me, but what is a boat fender?

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

remember that in the 70's the cut off year for the NSRA was 1948 - here the cut off is 1965 - guess it all depends on what you like, and build it the way like - most stuff here is usually is referred to as a car or truck - maybe paint the name that you call your ride on it - then people would know what to call it

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  28. Budget36

Budget36

I think some may miss the question, so if I take a 1980 XXX that had 145 hp V8 engine in it, and pulled it and now make 330HP, that car could/should be a hotrod (of that era).

I don't think - I could be wrong - is there a real definition of a Hotrod? I mean is it in Websters? Since original post did mention 65+ for years, I don't think we should be trying to define a Traditional Hotrod. Just a Hotrod.

Beano, what say ya? You started this, now get up off the LazyBoy and respond.

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  29. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I am so confused. o_O:)

clem and VANDENPLAS like this.
  30. 392

I think the article was off for sure. Narrow does explain and doesn’t speak truth.

chryslerfan55 and ramblin dan like this.