Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1961 Dodge Dart

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 61dart, Oct 8, 2020.

1. 61dart

61dart

Hello all, this is my first post! Anyway last week I was lucky enough to pick up a 1961 Dart, I traded it for an old ford 9n I had laying around. It is the Pioneer trim, 4 door. Only way wife would let me do a trade was for a 4 door, have two toddlers and a 3rd on the way. Anyway this is my first Mopar, have had falcons and mustangs in the past. Has some rust issues, interior is near perfect. Runs and drives (kinda) was able to driven up on the trailer and I can take it around the block. The gas tank is bad, rust holes everywhere and filled with rust and gunk. It currently runs on a small 2 gallon tank. So I can't find any tanks for it. Are there any similar cars that a tank would work, I love the rear fill behind the license plate. I have two other options in mind. Tank out of a 60's mustang and drop it into the floor, or a fuel cell tucked away into the rear quarter panel and drill a fuel fill hole into the fender and build a fire wall around it. Has a HUGE trunk space. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

scotty t, 61Cruiser, 63savoy and 7 others like this.
  2. I love it! They are nice driving cars. I can’t help with the fuel tank issue, not sure what interchanges with it, don’t give up the hunt though they are out there.

If we knew where you are, someone may be able to help

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

61Cruiser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Welcome and Congrats on your newest baby. Four doors aren’t bad they come in real handy with car seats. That is a huge back seat and should fit all three seats. You can weld some “C’s” under the back seat to accept the car seat like modern cars. Enjoy!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. I have mounts for the modern car seat anchors in back seat of my convertible, [​IMG]

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

Kinda pricey but there is a NOS tank on ebay right now. With three kids in the car I would prefer to spend a little more and not have to stick one in the trunk or something.

6. Me too however I’m also a believer in make it work how you can! As long as it’s safe of course, this old car stuff doesn’t have to cost a fortune but it should be fun!

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

I have to believe one could make a tank that would fit under the car and would work for less than the one on ebay but I just thought I'd note what I had found.

9. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Look at a 66 Monaco, Fury etc. There were a lot of Chryslers that had the fill in the rear.

kevinrevin likes this.
  10. 61dart

61dart

I would love to be able to do that, unfortunately the budget isn't unlimited. Looking for something on a budget that I can cruise the family in for now. The plan is to save up some money and be able to get the body work professionally done and resprayed. I honestly don't care what the car looks like as long as it drives. Thank you for the link though!

11. Maybe let us know where you are? I know where there is lots of early sixties Chrysler stuff, but odds are you are no where near me, but we don’t know.

12. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

If you zoom in on that one on Ebay it looks more like Nasty Old Shit more than it does New Old Stock. A friend of mine bought one for his Studebaker like that. It works and he need it , but it was not what was describe. Just a word of caution when dealing with folks on line. Larry

13. Joe Argiro

Joe Argiro

I have just purchased a 63' 300J and will be looking for parts. Can you assist?

14. greybeard360

greybeard360

Squablow likes this.
  15. Given the total lack of information in your post, no.

16. For a tank, check with Big M auto wrecking in California, he has a ton of parts for mopars

17. 61dart

61dart

I am located in central Ohio, right in the middle of the Rust Belt! haha. I have found some tanks that I maybe able to retro fit under my car! Thinking about it I really do not want to hack up such a complete car unless absolutely needed.

18. George

George

Good place to check. You should check out www.forwardlook.net

safetythird and HEMI32 like this.
  19. There are no doubt any number of early '60s full size cars that the tank will work just fine. Lots of them were center fill and they were pretty much all similar.

If I decided to go with a fuel cell I wouldn't make a hole in the body I would just raise the trunk lid and fill it. Keep it simple.

Neat old car. :cool: I like an early '60s MOPAR. What's it got in it? its a 318 car or ????

20. 61dart

61dart

I'm not sure on the engine I would assume its the 318 or the 361. Not sure how to tell the difference so I anyone would has a way to tell the difference that would be fantastic. I did read the 383 only came in the police cruisers. I did find a Facebook marketplace ad for a 63 Chevy fuel tank that has a rear fill only wants 40 bucks for it. Might just pick up and give it a try. Will probably be posting a lot on here, like I said new to Mopars, never thought I would be able to afford a drivable one any time soon, I'm a third year teacher haha.

21. goldmountain

goldmountain

If the distributor is in the back,318, in the front, 361, on the side, slant six.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Might consider measuring up your existing gas tank, and then look around at 1st or 2nd Gen Camaro gas tanks. Plenty of cars around you could get measurements off to see if they're compatible in the space you've got. And they're also rear fill under the license plate. Only issue will be the sending units are 90 ohm, and not sure what your Dart is. So might need a auxiliary fuel gauge if your Dart gauge is different.

chryslerfan55 and b-body-bob like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

Call tanks inc Get a new tank.

49ratfink likes this.
  24. scotts52

scotts52

25. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Is that the one with the flashlight tail lights?

26. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

chryslerfan55 and Elcohaulic like this.
  27. Slopok

Slopok

No, you're thinking about Plymouths.

28. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and stillrunners like this.
  29. 61dart

61dart

Well yesterday I picked a tank, the guy was mistaken it was actually a 1970 mustang tank but looks to be the same size as mine. Came with the sender and was only 40 bucks. This weekend I am going to get to see if I can get it to fit under using my straps, looks to be about the same size. The only problem is if I am remembering right mine has a return line as well.

30. George

George

Probably just a vent line.