Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T5 WC to 8ba Flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by John Deuel, Oct 7, 2020.

1. John Deuel

John Deuel

I have a T5 world class 1997S 10 transmission with Center shift. The speedway adapter for the 8 ba flat head only fits prior to 95. Does anyone know who makes a bell housing adapter for the set up. Thanks

2. I think Cornhusker Rod and Custom may have the only adapter for the later T5.

Look them up. Owner is @krylon32 on the H.A.M.B.

Walt
    Outsiders CC

dmdeaton likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. swifty

swifty

MEC make the bellhousing/adapter which can be drilled for either Chev or Ford patterns. This is what Cornhuskers sells with his kit.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Second vote for Model Engineering (MEC) Last number I had for them is 330-644-3450 Takes a bit to get to talk to someone but worth it IMO. They have or had a web site but it was iffy at best. Again IMO. BUT their stuff is top notch.

6. tinkirk

tinkirk

Check with Dave at vintage metalworks he is in Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I have redrilled a Lakewood scatter shield to mate to an 8ba, then you just bolt the T5 on.

48fordnut and irishsteve like this.
  8. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

You can modify a NWC Chevrolet S10 T5 to take WC gear sets

9. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

How? Without a full machine shop? The front counter shaft bearing is different and the rear counter shaft bearing area on a WC has four drilled and tapped holes for a retaining plate that the NWC does not. Its not just a matter of swapping parts out, done tried that.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Nailhead Jason likes this.
  10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

t5-mike.jpg The Cornhusker adapter is for the early 59a block, you would need a truck bell adapter to use the Cornhusker kit on a 8ba. Gary's kit is leaps and bounds better than the speedway stuff... do you have a pic of your '97 T5?
    If your trans is a 1997 it should have the bell housing cast into the gear box... if you have just a gear box and need a bell housing adapter you may not have a 1997 trans. This is a pic of the 97-03 unit. s-l500.jpg

And a pic of the stamped steel bell 8ba adapter needed to mate to the aftermarket Cornhusker adapter...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  11. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it a T5 or maybe another year. By 1997, GM was only using the NV1500 in the S10. If it is a T5, there should be a brass tag under one of the tail shaft bolts. This number is absolutely necessary to determine all the characteristics of the transmission. Once you have the number, refer to this chart.
    http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg-Warner-T5-ID-Tags.htm
    Warren

big duece likes this.
  12. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

The countershaft bearing holes need to be opened up 0.125" front and rear. I do it on a Mill but you can do it with a good drill press. Once you locate the center of the hole, the rest is easy.

After 1986 all the cases had the bosses for the countershaft retainer bolts, I made jig out of an old bearing retainer to locate the holes, and drill and tap them on my drill press.

13. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Here are some pictures of one I just did. The holes are opened up to 2.328" by my measuring tools. check your measuring tools with a bearing race. Your results may vary. You can see the bosses for the bearing retainer bolts on the back of the case. The front of the case is machined thinner from the inside on NWC cases. I find that a .028" to .030" shim on the inside puts the front race in the right place. The shim comes out of my differential stock, no idea what it was originally for, probably a small Dana. DSCN3396.JPG

14. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I have just come up with a concentric hydraulic clutch release bearing for the T5. The bearing itself is a 2003 S10 application. The front bearing retainer is a T5 DSCN3398.JPG V6 Mustang part. Final installation is not done yet so no testing was done, but on paper it works. More info when it hits the street. This one is a short input shaft WC 2.95 gear set, no adapter needed to the older Chevy applications.