Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Transporting a Coupe body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barbarian, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Most likely picking up a 31 coupe body this weekend to start my first build. It’s about 2hrs away. I have a Ram 1500 with a 6ft bed. I read a body is around 300lbs without the doors - they currently aren’t hung, either is trunk lid. Is it feasible to think 2 guys can slide the body in and out? Or am I better off renting a small utility trailer? If I don’t have to tow a trailer through tolls and what not I’d prefer not to - I’ll be traveling into a major city to get this so they’ll add up. Thanks in advance

dlw1932 likes this.
  2. I can load one by myself. But I eat my Wheaties.

Texas Webb, RICH B, 56don and 6 others like this.
  3. 5window and loudbang like this.
  4. My question...how old are you? Myself im pretty tough for a 65 year old,but I have had too many hernia"s to do teenage stuff like 2 man body lifts.If your still young go for it.If time has caught you get a low boy trailer.

loudbang and dirty old man like this.

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It’ll fit right between the wheel wells of a 6’ bed of a full size pu. I’ve move mine by myself but it’d be better with two people.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bill's Auto Works and loudbang like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like you have about 51 inches between the fender wells. What I can find indicates 45/46 or so inches in width at the doors for an A coupe.

At 73 I'm not even half as strong as I was at 43 but I used to tilt Chevy AD truck cabs on their back and back the truck up to them and load them by hand by myself. That saved a total lift from the ground or a saw horse properly placed would prop the body up to where you could back part way under it to be able to pick the back up and slide it in rather than lift it up and move it to the back of the truck. Anything that you can block it up with to get the tail gate under the front end of it.

56don and loudbang like this.
  7. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Two guys can do it. Done it plenty of times.

8. Lift one end up and set it on the tailgate then lift the other end and slide it in. Could put something under end you lift last to help it slide the short distance it would to slide to get first end up on tailgate.

9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Grab a buddy for the road trip and git er done. No trailer required

10. I have done this many times. Load it in so the trunk area is forward, then put the doors in, and then the trunk lid. Make sure they are secure, especially the trunk lid. Ask me how I know.

Bill's Auto Works and AVater like this.
  11. Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  12. papajohn

papajohn

You will be driving with your tailgate open I believe. So bring straps.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If you and your strongest friend are fit, it'll be no problem. How tall is your pickup? 2WD? 4WD? Lifted?
    As Carcruse mentioned, get one end on the gate, then lift and slide the body in. I'd bring 4 milk crates and work on getting the body up off the deck. That'll make your lifts at either end easier.

You could do it by yourself with a Harbor Freight cherry picker. I once loaded a 51 Merc body by myself. The loaded body (w/o frame) was sitting on a concrete slab in a storage unit (told it was lifted off a flatbed and placed there by 6-8 guys!). The driveway between the row of garages was too narrow to jackknife a trailer in line. Floor jacked the body onto 4 auto skates, then rolled it out into the drive. Used the cherry picker to lift the cowl end high enough to back the trailer under the cowl. Then moved the cherry picker to the rear, lifted it up above level, then used a 2 ton come along the drag the body onto the trailer. It was a rental trailer with no winch! Disassemble the cherry picker, toss it in the truck and go. Took forever but got it home!

14. Exactly!

The fact that the OP even asked means he is contemplating it, which tells me he doesn't have back issues, so with another healthy friend 300lbs is no problem. I lift blocks, read ends, etc off the floor up into the bed of my truck around the shop all the time, but I take care of myself & don't look like I am 8 months pregnant either!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

15. Err, how do you know?

King ford likes this.
  16. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Easy with two guys a few boards and a bunch of good straps. as a perspective . look up the hippo find lol.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  17. A Boner

A Boner

The buyer and a friend plus the seller and a friend.

18. This was a HAMBer. I forgot who.:rolleyes:
    20160716_184814~2.jpg

Bandit Billy likes this.
  19. Rckt98

Rckt98

20. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

I’m 32. Heading there tomorrow with my truck, a buddy, a few planks of wood and a bunch of straps. I just learned it’s currently on scaffolding the height of my tailgate so should be easy. Thanks all

has me thinking, maybe I’ll buy a harbor freight scaffold for my house now...

Just Gary and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  21. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

Just Gary and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  22. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Well this turned out to be one the easiest things I’ve ever done. Two guys walked it right in. Cruised home like nothing was back there

Attached Files:

23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

24. 5window likes this.