Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Old car titles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by highpockets, Oct 7, 2020.

1. highpockets

highpockets

I have a couple 63s that I bought without titles. I actually bought them for a company in Sweden. Our state is almost impossible to work with to get a title. I have bill of sales for both and both are cheap, major project cars. I have looked at some of the "title companies", but the reviews on them show most are expensive scams. Other suggestions I have received take months of paperwork and waiting and then you still don't know if you will get a title or not. Does anyone know of a reputable company that can help with this? Thanks in advance.

2. RMONTY

RMONTY

What does your states DMV suggest? THAT is the advice i would follow!

abe lugo, H380, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  3. Slippery slope when it comes to buying titles, I have passed on several desirable cars because the lack of titles, in South Carolina it's a nightmare to get a title with the dmv. HRP

olscrounger and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Google VT. tag / plate Also you Tube
    Or bonded title company’s

5. highpockets

highpockets

They have previously told me that if it does not come with a title, there is nothing that I can do to get one. It is up to the previous owner (seller) to get the title and if they decline, then I am out of luck. It can only be parted and crushed. One of these came from an auction with over 100 old project cars and that owner did not want to go through all of the headache to try to get titles. I have just spoken to someone at the DMV and got a little different answer that might possibly help. They charge a fee, but can do a VIN search and try to locate the last titled owner. Hopefully, that might help. Thanks.

VANDENPLAS and gimpyshotrods like this.
  6. RMONTY

RMONTY

That seems to be the way it goes with a lot of states from what I have read. It depends on who you speak with at the DMV, how much knowledge they have, if they are customer service oriented, etc. Good luck!

Boneyard51 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

Your state doesn’t do bonded titles? Look it up on the state DMV website.

Joel W and gimpyshotrods like this.
  8. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

In our province British Columbia, you can apply for what’s called a BC assigned VIN if you have a bill of sale but no title. Think it’s a 14 digit number if I remember correctly. You have to have all the signed paperwork for the sale and transfer forms but then it’s easy. I’m sure there are a lot of old cars that get bought this way all over NA, you’d think this stuff would be all set up. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. rusty valley

rusty valley

dont know if this is still true, but years ago SD kept paper records at the county. so if the car has a license plate they can look it up and tell you the last registered owner. i have done a couple that way, but...20 years ago

10. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Pulled off of your states website....

Bonded Titles
    The State of South Dakota allows customers with a vehicle 30 years old or older with no record on file to obtain a bonded title.

Request a Bonded Title
    To start the process, a Bonded Title Request Form, along with a $2 fee for the record search, must be submitted to the Motor Vehicle Division office in Pierre, along with all necessary documentation indicated on the form or requested by the Motor Vehicle Division.

If no record is found, the Motor Vehicle Division will determine the vehicle’s value from the information submitted. If more information is needed, the vehicle may require an inspection by a Motor Vehicle Division Agent. Once the vehicle’s value is determined, the Motor Vehicle Division will complete and send back a Vehicle Valuation for Surety Bond form along with any other submitted paperwork.

A bond must be purchased from a South Dakota surety bond company. Once purchased, the customer will submit all previously submitted documents, a completed Application for Motor Vehicle and Boat Title & Registration, and any applicable fees to their local county treasurer's office. If the title application process is not completed within 24 months, from the date the request form is submitted, the request will be considered abandoned and a new bonded title request form will required.

When issued, there will be a disclaimer on the title, indicating it is a bonded title.

Chavezk21, Hnstray, ClarkH and 3 others like this.
  11. earlymopar

earlymopar

A "builder's title" used to be another option so you could just record that you built the car from parts.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is your friendly reminder that buying a title that went to one car, and using it for another car, is a felony, in all 50-states.

Please don't do it, and for everyone else, please don't advocate for it, especially on a public forum.

13. RMONTY

RMONTY

I went through the Bonded Title drill for my project car. It wasn't too expensive, and the guy I worked with wore sunglasses, but they weren't too shady from what I could tell! :eek: He handled all the necessary documents and he "walked the application through", from what he told me.

I kept all the paperwork and within 6 to 8 weeks I got a title in the mail that was clearly marked as a Bonded Title. I believe in Texas after 3 years, you can apply for a regular title.

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. I doubt any state cares about getting more old vehicles on the road. Actually, their agenda is just the opposite, so they will never make it easy or convenient for us to do so. Just assume it is going to be a P.I.T.A.

15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I didnt read all of the responses but I will tell you with certainty dont just listen to what the yokels at the DMV tell you. Look it up in advance on their website and be certain. Ive had the employees give incorrect info more than once and last go round had to request a supervisor to confirm to the counter person I was in the right. 99% of what they deal with is the same ol same, throw something different in the mix and they start acting funny. At least thats been my experience in Dallas county.

16. adam401

adam401

My experience is that you need to know at least a rough outline of the process to register or title a vehicle without paperwork before you go into the dmv. You cannot look for the average clerk to guide you through the process. Its just not commonly dealt with and the rules are diffferent the few states Ive lived for newer vehicles vs. old

1933_willys_77 likes this.
  17. highpockets

highpockets

I know that is highly illegal and won't go that route. Ironically, the auction that I was at where I bought one of these cars, I overheard a guy telling someone else that he keeps VIN tags and titles from cars that he scraps and has sold plenty of them. I kinda butted in and told him not to let that get around or he will be in jail. I don't think he took me seriously. I really pi**ed a guy off also years ago. I had an old junker with a clear title and had it advertised for $100, had a guy call and offer me the $100 for the tag and title. I wouldn't do it and told him to come pick the car up with the title and do what he wanted once he left my property. He was only like a hundred miles away and could have scrapped the body and got his $100 back. But, he wasn't very happy and told me I was the stupid one..lol.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not even slightly true.

It is fairly easy in your state. All the DMV cares about is revenue.

As for agenda talk, that's political. Kindly take that elsewhere.

19. 6sally6

6sally6

DMV clerks do the same old stuff the same old way every day all day (as stated above)
    I had a slight problem just getting antique plates for my "M-word" Ford because........it was a little different thang. I was referred to a more knowledgeable clerk and I zipped through with only TWO trips back to the DMV!
    (In SC.....that's considered a success!!) :cool::cool:
    6sally6

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. That's a bit of a stretch......relax.

56don likes this.
  21. saltracer219

saltracer219

100% true, I have stated this before and gotten a bunch of blowback! If you can't get a title that matches the vehicle vin than go with the bonded title! As Gimpy said, this is classified as vehicle theft/salvage swap and is a felony in all 50 states!

22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been there done that--no title-no thanks

23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

You didn’t get them out of Hudson SD did you?

24. highpockets

highpockets

No,,,,both from around Watertown, but different sellers. I did find a registration in one of them and am in the process of tracking that guy down if he is still around. It has 1981 plates from my home county, so am hoping I can find that person and get him to apply for a duplicate. The second one has Illinois plates, but supposedly came from Arkansas or somewhere down south, so that one might be a challenge. I really don't want to go through the bonded thing and wait months/years. I don't dare work on either or spend any money until the title thing gets straightened out. Our state used to be super simple and then people were taking advantage of it and doing some shady stuff, so now the state has gone wild the opposite way and they really don't want to deal with it.

VANDENPLAS and olscrounger like this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://dor.sd.gov/individuals/motor-vehicle/all-vehicles-title-fees-registration/#bonded

You should be able to get a SD bonded title without any hassles and the fee for the bond will be less than any bogus title company's fees.

The only hassle will be the state's concept of the value of the "antique" car vs your actual value of the "Old" car.
    On their form you get to say what you believe the value is or what the documented value is. That is a lot better starting point than most get https://sddor.seamlessdocs.com/f/1203

Note your signature on that form has to be notarized.

You still should have the auction paperwork on the one sayin that you bought it legally and stating what you paid for it. That may let you get a bond for the state's minimum value.

I found this link in SD that may be all you need. Maybe not the least expensive but one stop shopping. http://www.southdakotaautotitle.com/

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  26. You need to talk to the right folks. South Dakota is more than helpful getting old cars back on the street. You take your bill of sale, sign an affidavit. Pay your fees based on car weight and a few weeks later you get a title and tags. We did have a beotch in charge in Pierrre a few years back that made up her own rules. But all the Treasurers are happy she is gone. My Aunt happens to be a Treasurer near you.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've found in both Texas and Washington states the higher up the food chain in the dmv or licensing system you go the simpler things tend to get. Just going into "Joe's get your car tabs here" office and asking doesn't usually get good answers.

ClarkH and gimpyshotrods like this.
  28. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy, we have it easy in Kansas. As long as they're 35 years old or older you can buy it with a bill of sale, take it to the Kansas Highway Patrol office to get the VIN checked, pay them $20 for the piece of paper they give you, then go to the DMV and register the car/motorcycle. 2-3 weeks later you get a title in the mail. Right now I have two cars and three motorcycles that went through that process.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Said it before, sell them to a no title state like AL or GA.

Zax likes this.
  30. highpockets

highpockets

I did locate a registration in one of the cars from 1981 and the car has 1981 license plates on it. That owner shows in a 2006 phone book as still in my home town, but the phone is disconnected of course. I have located a couple relatives of his on Fa****ok but have not heard back. I also got some messages from a guy in SD that has gone through this before and he send me a link to the actual state law and it totally shows that if there is no record of the car, they have to issue a title with a small amount of paperwork. So, I am hopeful on at least one of them.

VANDENPLAS likes this.