Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Chopped Chevy Sedan Delivery

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RMONTY, Jan 15, 2016.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

^^^^ You are too kind @VANDENPLAS. Thanks for the props!

I'll be driving this Franken-bitch before the end of Spring. It may not be painted and pretty but it will be able to take me to get some groceries!

And as far as the chopped monstrosity, its gonna happen!

Bowtie Coupe, brEad, drdave and 2 others like this.
  2. 8AB9328B-46A4-43F5-A50A-19F6119E17E1.gif Consider me subscribed and along for the ride!

chryslerfan55 and 49ratfink like this.
  3. Sure looking good out in the fresh air and the front end on it. Driving by spring......the Stray Kat is the first weekend in May, just sayin'. :)

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  4. RMONTY

RMONTY

Thanks DAVE! :mad:
    No pressure there huh? Do they have a "not quite finished/under construction" class? Hahaha! ;)

5. RMONTY

RMONTY

Just messing around....had to see it all dressed out with all the sheet metal. I want to pancake the hood, that nose sticking up in the air needs smashed down....and I think I want to make a front roll pan that rolls under and use some sort of smaller, less heavy looking bumpers....

20200927_083043.jpg 20200927_083057.jpg 20200927_083147.jpg 20200927_083534.jpg

6. RMONTY

RMONTY

I posted this pic earlier in the thread, but I keep going back to it,,,,I really like the treatment....

[​IMG]

7. junkman8888

junkman8888

I've followed your project with great interest and congratulate you on your hard work and effort, but you may have a problem you might not be aware of; in post 785, second picture, if you look at the belt line just below the window opening and follow it from the cowl to the rear of the car, it looks like the two haves of the car are "bent"downward at the "b" pillar. It may just be an optical illusion, but I'm relatively certain it isn't.

loudbang likes this.
  8. There really aren’t any classes. We were thinking of taking my kids truck this year and it was just the cab on the chassis so he could show off the work he had done so far. Seems like a reasonable goal if you think it might be driving by spring. I know several would like to see your progress including me. :cool:

chryslerfan55, drdave, RMONTY and 3 others like this.
  9. RMONTY

RMONTY

Thanks for the observation junkman. I took a good look at what you pointed out, but overall, the beltline makes a "swoop" if you will from the back to the front of the car. The window opening is taller at the back of the window than it is at the front of window. The beltline "swoops" upwards along the longer door. As far as it being a problem, as long as the line flows along the beltline, with no gross differences in the way it flows, and the beltline is lined up from the body to the door, which it is, I am good with it. Thanks for your interest!

10. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I'm 76 years old, never owned a "finished" car (boring daily drivers excepted - They are too "plain-vanilla" to bother with modifying...).

Russ

11. RMONTY

RMONTY

Oh I could have it driveable in a matter of a 2-3 months I think. The chassis is done, the seat is done, the engine is done, its really a matter of bodywork, a bit of floor repair, and glass, which I can probably do myself since it will be stock glass. I need to have a driveshaft built but I already got a guy that can handle that. Squirt some epoxy sealer on it and throw some basic wiring in it....HA! Sounds easy, right??? The car is titled already, all I have to do is get it tagged and insured and that will taken care of.

I may have to hit @trevorsworth up to come over a few times when I need some help. I helped him get an engine stand built and get his flathead Ford engine fired up. Realistically I have everything I need as far as tools, engine hoist, lifts, blah blah blah to get it all done myself. It just helps sometimes when you are thrashing to have someone to work with I think!

12. RMONTY

RMONTY

Might end up being the Lead Aint Dead show....maybe not... didn't i read somewhere its always the first weekend after Labor Day? ;)

guthriesmith, drdave and loudbang like this.
  13. Saw these pics on Instagram tonight of a custom panel with Corvette sections. Really kinda works to me. The hood above the grille needs some stylizing...maybe a pie cut through the hood. I thought the front end had some of the look you were thinking about with the rolled pan and thin bumpers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outback, tb33anda3rd, brEad and 12 others like this.
  14. 67charger

67charger
    from Wisconsin

Just a cool thought for you, may, june,and July of 1956 car craft magazines have step by step process (but with leading and torching...much easier with a mig I bet!) On how to french the lights with 55 olds rings, smooth the hood or peak it, and installing a 55 chevy grille.

I just received my magazines from Ebay, all under $10!! But the 55 grille will only fit a 49 to 52. I could be wrong but the pics look like a 53 front clip.

Theres also a nice frenching kit from chevs of the 40s that still allows front access

Anyways well done!! And il be watching! If you need any pics of 49 or 50 original equipment let me know I can snap some pics and take some measurements

15. RMONTY

RMONTY

Dave, I'd sure like to see that car with the tarp off of it!
    Like you mentioned, I think it has some of the touches I'd like to consider.

16. RMONTY

RMONTY

It sounds like you have a Sedan Delivery? Post up some pictures of it if so!

If you can post any of those photos from the magazines, that would be great too. Thanks for your interest!

17. Right? There's some real potential there...would be cool to see the whole thing

loudbang likes this.
  18. RMONTY

RMONTY

19. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Thanks to Rot'n Kustom, now if it was chopped 3"-4" that would really look great!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  20. I seldom say this but, Not everything needs to be Chopped. Maybe just a different color would do the job. Hard to beat Black.

67charger, drdave, RMONTY and 3 others like this.
  21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I think this looks great with a mild chop! Thanks to Rot'n Kustom
    [​IMG]

22. RMONTY

RMONTY

I had the guys on the photoshop thread squirt some paint on my car so I could get an idea of what it might look like. I asked for a "matte black" paint and a FEW thin pointy turquoise scallops. I don't necessarily like the layout, shape and design of the scallops, and the "black" looks more of a charcoal grey color to me.....but it gives me a reference. They also dropped it into the weeds a few inches. Those guys over there are a great resource and much appreciated!

Starting to see what direction to go once the metalwork is done!

[​IMG]

Outback, brEad, guthriesmith and 5 others like this.
  23. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

And the Moose's version, I love the shiny paint!
    [​IMG]

24. RMONTY

RMONTY

I can see the original chopped Sedan Delivery becoming this. Some day!

25. 67charger

67charger
    from Wisconsin

These are the magazines

Attached Files:

drdave, RMONTY and loudbang like this.
  26. 67charger

67charger
    from Wisconsin

This is a 49 to 52 with a 55 chevy grill

Attached Files:

27. 67charger

67charger
    from Wisconsin

A really popular custom mod to these cars in the 50s was to add 48-56 Cadillac tail fins

I'm in the process of buying 2 50 caddy quarter panels to use as a mold so I can fiberglass a set for mine. If there is any interest on here I could probably crank a few sets out

drdave and loudbang like this.
  28. 67charger

67charger
    from Wisconsin

This image from custom chronicles shows a chevy hardtop with caddy fins

Attached Files:

29. RMONTY

RMONTY

I would like to see them once you get them made. I'm not sold on the look, but I'm not "not" sold either. The taillights on the car Dave posted has my attention however. As do the bumpers.

drdave and loudbang like this.
  30. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

The taillights on the car Dave posted has my attention however. As do the bumpers.
    Amen!

loudbang likes this.