Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Pickup Earning Its Keep

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38Chevy454, Oct 6, 2020.

1. My neighbor had a dead ash tree come down and he cut it up. Offered me some of the wood. So drove across the street and loaded up the 52 GMC. The old truck working earning its keep.
    The actual suspension drop was about 3 inches. Jaguar IRS in the back. See comparison of loaded vs unloaded.
    I haul other stuff with the truck, but thought this was a good example of using as a truck to share. 20201006_143932.jpeg 20201006_143944.jpeg 20201006_153434.jpeg

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

brEad, swade41, TFoch and 15 others like this.
  2. 5window

5window

Nice work for a fine truck.

MO54Frank likes this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Nice. That’s the plan on my 1948 F1 as well.

4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Been there done that, used my 30 pickup as a daily driver and helped a friend haul a bunch of firewood home, his 29 is in the background. Pickups are made to be used !
    wood2.jpg

brEad, Hitchhiker, TFoch and 7 others like this.

5. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He even split it. Now that's a nice neighbor!

6. Actually he and I both split it, but it was still nice to only need to do half the basic splitting work! He had already cut it to length. About an 18-20 inch diam tree. The ash burns nice. Anyone here in midwest is familiar with all the lost ash trees due to the ash borer. There is almost no ash trees left in my area, only new young ones that have sprouted up in past few years. Sadly all of the big old ones are gone.

mcsfabrication likes this.
  7. Love those old trucks...wish they fit in my garage better...

Seeing one still earning its keep makes me smile...

MikeC

8. Not surprised, I remember your 60 ElCamino being loaded down with a car body at the roundup one year.

9. That IRS must be from one of those Jag pick-ups...handles the load fine. Good to see a hotrod earning it's keep!

10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way better To put it to use than these guys that Show a “workhorse“ with a darn fluffy Xmas tree in the back.

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Nice! I like ash for my wood furnace in my garage...tends to burn nice and hot for a long time. I split mine with an axe when it starts to cool off outside (like now!).

12. We also split it by hand, being drier wood it was pretty easy splitting. The old joke, splitting wood gets you warm twice. It was low 70's yesterday, so nice day to be outside for a while.

13. Haha, that was the Austin from Austin. The Austin body was upside down in the bed.Wish I had a pic of that, it was pretty comical looking. Ended up offloading the Austin at Metalshape's place in Tucson because the wind resistance was killing my gas mileage, and the weight was tearing up my bumpstops. That 60 El Camino was already very low, the extra weight out it on the bumpstops. That body was not even for me, I was just helping my friend SamIyam to pick it up for him.

14. mine is always hauling something. DSCF5368.JPG DSCF5369.JPG DSCF5370.JPG fresh cut red oak.

brEad, flatheadpete, akoutlaw and 4 others like this.