Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Murray - The Last Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by scootermcrad, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Looks great! Congratulations Scott!

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man! They SUCKED to sand and prep! HAHA

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I get that....I helped wet sand over 200 louvers in a roof insert on a car. No fingerprints for weeks!

Stogy, kidcampbell71, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paint people! So talking with a couple people, it seems the general consensus on the scratch repairs, since it didn't go deeper than primer, is that I can build this area back up with a small brush and then treat it like a run when I start the cut and polish process. This seems logical, and also a huge relief. Anything I'm missing?

brEad, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks fantastic!

Im not a paint guy but yeah I think your brush fix would work fine

Stogy, Thor1 and scootermcrad like this.
  6. I've done this with single stage urethane on my car – works well. Just try to fill the scratches, and get as little paint as possible on top of the good paint – it'll be much easier to sand flush. For reference, see post 1265 on page 43 of my build thread.

Stogy, Thor1, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  7. Great progress, Scott!

Met a couple of your buddies at Brad's last swap meet- y'all need to come down to the three day swap this weekend!!!

Stogy, Thor1 and scootermcrad like this.
  8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome! Thanks buddy! I'll have to go in and look at post 126,523 on page 437 of your build thead. :D:D:D

Yeah! You ran into Delton and I think maybe Skeeter was with him. Ya' know... I never realized after all this time that you were from GA. HAHA

I'll mention the swap to them if they don't read it here first. I gotta finish painting this thing, so no swaps for me, but sounds fun!

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BAM!!!! That's exactly what I needed! Thanks Dave! Great save!! I feel a MILLION times better after seeing how your fix turned out.

D-Russ, Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  10. Looks great Scott!

scootermcrad, Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  11. Looks awesome!

Thor1, scootermcrad and Stogy like this.
  12. -Brent-

-Brent-

Hell YES!!!!

scootermcrad and Thor1 like this.
  13. Scooter- yup, it was Delton and Skeeter- good guys!

Oh,and I'm not originally from GA (moved in 2004 and love it down here)- I was born a Philly boy, yo wassup :D

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Outstanding! Congratulations on hanging in there.

Thor1, scootermcrad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. 73RR

73RR

It has come a long way since I first saw the pile-o-bits and pieces.

Job well done!

Thor1 and scootermcrad like this.
  16. Looks fantastic in color! Congrats on all the recent progress!

scootermcrad, Thor1 and Blue One like this.
  17. llonning

llonning

I love it, too bad about the issues, but they are minor.

Len

18. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang Scooter!!! I hope to see the car next month!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quick update...

Doors have color on them, cowl top has been repainted, and some of the garnish molding is ready to go.

I had some serious issues with the cowl top. Fisheyes and craters bonanza!! So either I didn't get it clean enough, or I had some contamination in my gun. I went through and cleaned everything, serviced my air lines, and replaced all my filters. That seemed to take care of it, but the damage was done. My friend Cassie has been helping me with some sanding to help keep me on-track and said she would like to try and fix it. It wasn't fixable so she prepped it so I could repaint it. That was a HUUUUGE help! So I'm forever in-debt to her.

Anyway, things turned out OKAY. I was off on my settings or maybe I just have terrible technique, and botched the first pass on the doors. Too much material on the first pass and now it has more runs than an Olympic Trand & Field event!! But... it's all fixable. I just made extra work for myself, unfortunately.

IMG_4448.jpg 62524197925__777724E1-1C90-4CAF-9120-82431AE19A06.JPG IMG_4452.jpg IMG_4456.jpg

Anyway. That's all the progress I have. What you don't see is how much work it took to get these doors ready to squirt. They had so many little stupid things wrong with them. It seriously took me days.

Next up... fixing runs and a lot of orange peel on the doors, cowl top, and the body itself. I'm in the home stretch to start putting this car together and it feels GREAT! Excited to see this paint fixed and polished. Also very excited just to hang the doors on it and mount the cowl top so I can roll it out and just stare at it for awhile.

That's it for now. More as I progress. Hopefully I'll have some of those cool mirror reflection type pictures that everyone posts when they're painting. HAHA

CHEERS!

S

HEMI32, Hansa1100, Blue One and 11 others like this.
  20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Looks great!

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fantastic

22. -Brent-

-Brent-

Scott, what did you do to service your airlines?

Thor1 likes this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Brent all due respect, but I think that’s kinda between a fella and his airlines ;)

Lol. Sorry had too

slv63, Thor1, brEad and 2 others like this.
  24. -Brent-

-Brent-

Hahaha, thankfully I didn't ask your freaky ass!:D

Thor1 and Tim like this.
  25. Looks great! Can't wait for those mirror reflection pics!!

26. When it’s driving, I might have to fly out there for a ride......looks good and I’m sure it will turn out great!

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My setup isn't as awesome as yours, but I hard lined everything with drain drops right out of the gate so I could keep things dry. So I drained and dried everything, and wiped down my main drag line so I'm not stirring a bunch of junk up, and then changed out my stationary filters for oil and water, my extra portable canister filter for the drag line (Big Blue) and then the final at-gun cheap-o filter. I also took extra steps to ensure my ghetto paint booth was as clean as I could get it as well as making sure the ground (driveway) was good and damp when painting and free of garbage that could get kicked up. Of course taking extra precautions when wiping things down with oil and wax cleaner, as well. BUT! I still managed to screw something up when I painted. I left one sheet of plastic masking on that I thought was clean enough from when I shot primer. It wasn't. I got a few flakes of primer scattered in that will have to get addressed when color sanding. No big deal, but just annoying and stupid I overlooked it. Live and learn, I guess.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Air line jokes. That could have gotten so much worse, though...

Yes please!! :D And thanks buddy!

Thor1, -Brent- and Tim like this.
  28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well... I caught this little guy warming himself a couple days after these had set. Kind of qualify as reflection posts. HAHA! You can see some of the color sanding work I have to do.

E5753C09-B080-49FA-A445-8AA3C760244C.jpg CAFB2E8D-61CB-4BD7-ABB0-C8FCAAD3C2D0.jpg

brEad, Blue One, dlw1932 and 9 others like this.
  29. AHotRod

AHotRod

Well ? .... (I gotta say it) ... it's about time bubba .... I'm now 64 years old man. Congratulations buddy.... Hot Rods Rule !
    Glenn

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just waiting for you to be closer to retirement. :)

kidcampbell71, brEad and Thor1 like this.