Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Getting glass clean

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Oct 6, 2020.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

So; short back story. Got a 1960 Fairlane 4d with a 292 y block and fordomatic today. Wasn't really interested in keeping the actual car but it seems to be growing on me (the fact that my first real hamb car was a 60 Starliner helps). But I am absolutely stymied by the condition of the front and rear glass. Even cleaned, it looks like a heavy fog is rolling in.. more back story; I've tried 0000 steel wool, comet powder cleanser, sacrificed a lamb? Etc.. point me in the right direction. Granted, if the glass kills the car, so be it, but if it is salvageable I'd rather try. I can find another y block.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. I use jeweler's rouge with a spray bottle of water and my buffer, might be able to use some plain ol rubbing compound

62rebel likes this.
  3. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Could be the old style, safety plate laminated glass that had plastic in the middle of the two pieces?
    Not sure if that stuff was still being used in 1960, but I do know it is used on my 1954 car.

If it is something on the outside only, I took a car like that to a body shop and they polished it out with a commercial buffer and a super fine grit paste.

4. 62rebel

62rebel

It's definitely 2 piece safety glass. I bought the car solely for the engine but it is better than I thought it would be. Not that it's a cream puff by any means. It's a five mile stretch of gravel road.

5. squirrel

squirrel

if the plastic between the glass is fogged, you need to replace the glass, or live with it being fogged. There's no way to clean it.

juan motime likes this.
  6. 62rebel

62rebel

Doesn't seem to be the inside except along the edges. Familiar with delam fogging. This is all on the surface.

7. Try a razor blade.

sunbeam likes this.
  8. indyjps

indyjps

Ive buffed glass with the same compounds as final cut for paint. I prefer 3M perfect it line, but use what you like. Polishing, not buffing compound.

9. squirrel

squirrel

has it been sandblasted?

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Vinegar and newsprint.

firstinsteele likes this.
  11. I use muriatic acid on my work truck, i’ve bought it as concrete cleaner/etcher. .01% (i think) then used it on a wet (water) sponge. We get a lot of lime on our vehicles, it leaves the glass looking milky white. nothing else seems to touch it. I use it on the paint too, it leaves it shiny surprisingly.

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Sounds like it has been exposed to hard water. Our fleet of skid pad cars that we had when I worked for the Govt had that on them from the sprinkler systems used to keep the skid pad wet.
    We tried every product known to man on those windows. Finally let a contract with a company to replace the glass. It impregnated into the glass and could not be polished out.

13. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

Try glass top stove cleaner. We recently cleaned 40 year old dirt from windows with it when nothing else would touch it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. Oilguy

Oilguy

I too use the glass top stove cleaner. No streaks. Also use it on the glass door on my woodstove. I buy the Weiman brand at the local Kroger outlet. Goes on like liquid wax and dries very quickly.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I had a 64 Impala many years ago that a farmer had owned, all the windows were badly stained by hard water, the only thing that would touch it was 4/0 steel wool and solvent.

Oilguy likes this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a guy wet sand and polish the glass t tops on a T/A for me a few years back. They went from scratched and foggy to perfection! I have used pumice in a light rubbing compound to remove water spots, might give that a try as well. Got the pumice at a glass shop, they use it for cutting soap and water marks on shower doors.

Oilguy and indyjps like this.
  17. Muttley

Muttley

I use fine steel wool and liquid metal polish.....never failed to do the job.

18. 62rebel

62rebel

Tried a few ideas so far but nothing really effective. Upside is that not much I can do to make it worse!

19. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I use this thumbnail.jpg and a white scotch brite pad. Works for me.
    I read somewhere, it's made from powdered oyster shells.

20. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Scotch Brite pads come in different colors for a reason. Use only white colored pads on glass, the other colors will scratch the glass.

21. gatz

gatz

I did this on a very crusty & dirty 56 Lincoln windshield ; worked great.
    Nothing else seemed to cut the crud.
    You can buy industrial razor blades in a dispenser for not too much money

22. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

i have a dynamite glass polishing guy here in fla but your far from me ,,, he gets around 150 to do a windshield look around where you are may be a similar guy with a lil lookin ,, my guy does commercial stuff as in buildings and store counters but does car stuff when hes not busy ,
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

23. It's a composite of everything and then baked by the sun. Ceramic cooking pots are basically the same as glass but after cooking with them a few years, it shows. Acidic bird poop, tree sap, rail dust, blow-by oil, smog, acid rain, hard water, and whatever else you can think of gets baked on daily for decades into a bulletproof crust. Elbow grease just gets the loose pimples on the surface. It going to take machine power with a polishing compound to get results. even the inside is no squirt-n-wipe. You can't use a buffer inside but you still have to be on the aggressive side.