Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical To be filled or not to be filled that is the question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by email Ed, Oct 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. email Ed

email Ed

When most people paint a rod do they fill the spot welds or leave them? I am working on my 1948 Chevy truck and I hated the front fender spot welds so I filled them now I have the bed in white epoxy and some of the spot welds don't look so good so I'm wondering if most people fill the ones that you see without looking under the fender or between the bed and cab or do they leave them?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

Its your baby, do what you like.

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yep...YOUR car...right..?
    Do as YOU like.

Mike

4. squirrel

squirrel

Most people fill the ones that you can see, and ignore the rest. It's the laziest way to do it, is why.

5. email Ed

email Ed

Thanks once again for the help! I didn't know if the factory left the spot welds or not and if you put filler all over the truck filling spot welds people might say its a Bondo buggy because if you cant see the spot welds you know its covered in Bondo. I don't mind spot welds on the bed of the truck or in door jambs but I also don't want people to say I did a half-A** job on it if I don't fill them and that is what is the right thing to do.

6. oldsman41

oldsman41

I wouldnt say it is a right thing or wrong thing to do almost all show cars and deep pocket cars are smoothed over never seen a daily driver done up but hell its yours to do as you see fit

7. As always Jim is right on with his answer. HRP

8. squirrel

squirrel

Do you want it to look really nice? or do you want it to look accurately restored?

If you can answer that question, then you already know what you should do.

olscrounger likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right there is the best answer you can get. If it is a custom or hot rod truck that you want to have look slick and smooth a few more hours of getting things perfect pay off later when those spot welds aren't staring you in the face out during show and tell time. If it is supposed to look a lot closer to "Original" they are original.
    I've got a lot of hours of slicking them out left to do on my truck.

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So let them be welded, so let them be filled.

11. email Ed

email Ed

Ok so looks like I'm going to Bondo all my new parts.

12. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I like the look of nice spot welds on a restoration,especially when it is nice and shiny and new looking,makes it look finished,On a custom car,not so much,if you do one you have to do them all.:cool:

13. email Ed

email Ed

Anyone ever buy a new hood and find that they painted over rust on it bad enough when you have to fill dents but you don't expect you will have to deal with rust that's why I bought new parts so I didn't have to deal with rust. 20201007_113235.jpg 20201007_113901.jpg