Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical quadrajet - fuel coming out of holes at top of secondaries

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fstarocka, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Fstarocka

Fstarocka

I got a qjet on a 350 stock, its running a little wierd and bogging.. starts and idles fine but it idles randomly up and down everytime i let off the gas despite the return system positively working (im a stickler for that).. im pretty good at dialing in these carbs - but havent seen them with 2 holes at the top of the secondaries? like transfer holes.. at idle fuel is spraying out there, and if i just touch the air doors the motors changes rpms.. surely the secondaries should be totally shut at idle?

The secondary linkage could possibly be a little jammed/not returning 100% shut, drawing air thru accidentally as well..

2. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

Some of the q-jets had notches in the secondary air door.
    Make sure secondaries aren’t hanging up on the base gasket too. Another would be one of the secondary butterflies coming loose or not indexed in the throat of the carb

3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Needs a new float and needle and seat . As the flow as directed by the carb number .

Deuces and AHotRod like this.

4. Fstarocka

Fstarocka

thanks will check it out - i have seen the secs hanging up causing metering issues.. are they transfer ports? i also noticed 2 small holes in the float bowl going to 2 side chambers, never saw that either.. very odd indeed.

Wondering if i shouldnt try put this on my camaro and stick a std one on the boat

5. What you're describing is all part of the secondary accelerator pump circuit , which there to add a little fuel as the secondary flapper starts to crack open. With the flapper closed and the butterfly all the way closed, you shouldn't be pulling any fuel there .Also , you shouldn't be able to open the flapper at an idle if the choke pull off /vacuum brake is adjusted correctly. I would guess the float is too high or NFG or there's trash in the needle and seat.

6. Fstarocka

Fstarocka

Hi - I cleaned out the carb just before running it.. the pull off works buut there might be a tiny bit of play in the top, i mean tiny - i was basically pushing the doors against the pull off that hadnt opened cos it was at idle.. and it was surging - my guess is the secondaries might be hung up on the bottom gasket -

Is the secondary pump system high performance? If so i will DEF be putting this on my camaro! Im busy prepping for a 383 build - its already fast and gets fantastic mileage - but of course I want more torque!

7. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

Fstarocka, I sent you a PM

8. I didn't mention the gasket deal.. That's a rather basic.thing to look at. It wouldn't idle very well like that.
    The secondary deal is all just part of the sophistication of the Q-Jet.