Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How to temporarily wire a engineless car to run off battery only

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fisher400, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

I have the engine for my 63 falcon sprint out and being rebuilt. In preparation for reinstalling the engine, I would like to temporarily wire it for battery to make sure all the dash components work etc. Any suggestions for temporarily wiring to test the electrical system?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

First pic is the positive battery lead and the generator wires. Missing is the negative lead that goes to the generator. Second picture is positive lead going off the starter sol. To the starter. Third is the coil wire, temp sensor and oil sensor wire.

3. squirrel

squirrel

tape up the end of every wire that's not connected, so it wont touch anything. then connect the negative battery cable to the body. Leave the clamp of that cable, on the battery, loose so you can pull it off quickly if needed.

olscrounger likes this.
  4. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

That easy? Maybe I was over thinking this one! Good idea on the tape. Going to have my fire extinguisher handy too

5. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, that easy. And you should always have a couple fire extinguishers handy, no matter what is going on in your shop.

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

That easy. Squirrel is right. Cover the ends, keep that positive so you can yank it out fast and go about your business. Its not rocket appliances.

Fisher400 likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

If you're working on a Chevy or other car that has the main power connection at the starter, you also need to connect that power wire to the positive battery cable, and tape it up carefully to make damn sure it does not accidentally touch ground.

But Fords are easy... no need to deal with any of that, because of the way the starter relay is wired.

8. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Thanks guys. Have two in the shop and plan to carry one in the car. We can never be too prepared when it comes to fire safety in the garage and around the home!

olscrounger likes this.
  9. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Budget36 and squirrel like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the main power feed to the inside is hooked up all you should need is to do as Jim suggested and make sure any loose wires and those should only be the wires that go to the engine and the charging system are taped or safely away from any any ground.
    Just make sure that you have a good clean bare metal spot to connect your ground to the body, All that fancy paint serves as a great insulator against the flow of electricity.

11. RMONTY

RMONTY

I had just rebuilt the engine in my OT 1973 Monte Carlo back in 1979, and it looked pristine under the hood. I spent DAYS cleaning up the engine compartment before putting the engine in. I fired it up after installing the engine and hooking everything up. Drove to my buddy's house, about 3 blocks away, jumped out with it still running to go get him to go for a test drive. About the time he walked out the door....BOOM!!!!! Smoke poured out from under the hood. I ran out and popped the hood open, and the top of the battery was laying across the a/c compressor. I hadn't put the tube that kept the ground cable off the exhaust manifold back on because it was a pain in the ass. 20 boxes of Arm and Hammer Baking Soda and who knows how many quarters at the car wash after I bought a new battery, it didnt eat too much of the paint and such off......

12. Handiest tool you can have for checking electrical systems is a power probe. Tells you power readings, ground, has an internal fuse, and allows you to power up any component with the push of a button.

Sent from my SM-G975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Your story will be playing in my head as I do my triple checks before the maiden voyage! Thanks for sharing. Nothing like screwing up hours upon hours of hard work over one little mistake!

RMONTY likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

wire routing is a serious business...you have to imagine what all could possibly go wrong, and assume it will, and make the wiring so it will survive those things.