Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical One learns by their mistakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Oct 4, 2020.

1. My good friend Gene. Sounds like you need to back up and regroup. LOL

We make mistakes and hopefully we know better the next time. I told someone a while back that thought that I was really smart that I am not smart I just screwed more stuff up than anyone else.

If it is any consolation I am currently screwing an old bike together (I know OT) that I used trick heads on. They were supposed to be stock replacement heads, well almost. They are trick as hell that is a fact, but they are almost 1/4" taller than the originals, so I am jockeying the stock tanks to make them fit. of course they are already covered in 14 coats of black lacquer. LOL

2. I have learned so much from all my mistakes, I'm thinking of making more. HRP

partsdawg and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  3. oldsman41

oldsman41

If one learns by their mistakes I must be a genius by now.

4. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Big heavy engine, heavy transmission... Moving all that back 4" should give you better weight distribution, so I wouldn't say it was wasted.

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When I got my first real hot rod as I purchased a Flathead powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, I thought I knew a lot about hot rod building and modifying. Our experience with the bare bones build of our drag racing 1940 Willys the previous year & a half, taught us just about everything there was to getting an old car up and running. It allowed us to get all of the necessary safety equipment and things to make it run well. It did until too much power, too many runs on the 9 months at the drag strip races. The custom heavy duty clutch let go on our last powerful run in the C/Gas class finals.
    upload_2020-10-7_4-59-59.png

But, the sedan delivery had its own problems that I overlooked, because it was my first real car and I was driving the daylights out of it. The main place was coastal Long Beach, Seal Beach and all down the coast for our excellent surf adventures. So what if it used a little oil, it did not smoke or leak anything on my mom’s pristine concrete driveway. It just had its own quirks and I had to learn to accept them or try to fix it. Our recovery time from the Willys build and accident gave both of us a moment (year and a half) to rest/recollect memories and ideas that were in the forefront back then.
    upload_2020-10-7_5-1-8.png

We thought it was our mistakes, but we spent wisely as we could, did not skimp on anything, but yet, the explosion surprised us. We were a year off of having a full 360 degree scattershield as produced by Joe Schubeck Lakewood Chassis Company. But, we can’t look back. Ours was the standard protection that was certified and passed by all tech inspectors at every dragstrip in the USA.

Jnaki

What I learned will never be replaced. It was two brothers doing what they thought was the right thing to do in the build of our 1940 Willys Coupe. For that, I thank my brother. For all that we both learned from other more seasoned racers/builders, thank you, too. Mistakes always show up for everyone, but it is how you get over the feeling to not have the same thing happen again. It has given me ways to cope with mistakes that happen along the long timeline of life, too.

Over the years, these stories of hot rods, motorcycles and drag racing were the center front of our “brotherly, late night conversations" at our house in the OC or his, up in Santa Barbara. The conversation lasted for hours, each time. I am sure that is why everything is so clear, constant reminders of what we did as teenagers in hot rods, drag racing and cruising. (Until he was gone by age 52.)

671 willys SBC coupe