Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical rear transverse spring help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TrueBlue23, Oct 5, 2020.

1. TrueBlue23

TrueBlue23

Hey folks, so I'm in the middle of the mockup stage of my 23 roadster. I originally started out with the speedway medium arch spring, and I ended up having to add about an inch of spacers to allow it to travel without hitting the sides of the frame rails. I'm going to rip it off and install a traditional high arch spring, but I'm looking for some different options that may be IMG_6600.JPG available. Ideally I'd like to use a spring pack that's kinda in between the medium arch speedway model, and a posies shortened reverse eye model so as to keep from raising the rear up too much. Are there any other companies out there besides the most popular ones that sell a nice model A style spring that isn't too awful tall??

rbrewer likes this.
  2. TrueBlue23

TrueBlue23

this would work if the eyes were reversed. Any shops around the midwest that do that type of work? 91043102_L_c7ba162f-7807-4c4f-8e26-4ed52b495a2a.jpg

3. Are the ends of that rear cross member boxed in? If so, that is your problem.

Tman likes this.
  4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

In what part of the 'midwest' are you? I reversed an A spring with a simple press and a bottle jack....
    BTW...How about a side profile pic? Looks like it sits pretty nice to me.

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

X38 has got it, rear crossmember should look like this. P1010008.JPG

HemiDeuce, X38 and gas pumper like this.
  6. RACE ROD

RACE ROD

This is what I Did Hope this Helps ! SAM_1900.JPG

sdluck and TrueBlue23 like this.
  7. lake_harley

lake_harley

Didn't we discuss this about a month ago? Either we did or it was an almost identical situation. If it's the same car I'm thinking the ends of the crossmember are "capped off" by the rectangular tubing frame rails.

Following a very brief search here it is.... https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/buggy-spring-help.1204897/ appears to be the same chassis, problem and question.

Lynn

8. Ah-so. You got that right.
    While I think of it, I would for sure be gusseting those spring hanger brackets.

9. TrueBlue23

TrueBlue23

yea I was asking about the spacers before, and it did work fine to get the clearance issues resolved. I was hoping there was a another spring on the market that would sit just a bit higher. going a touch higher in the rear would help eliminate the need to tunneling the floor for the driveshaft.

10. TrueBlue23

TrueBlue23

its all just mocked up at this point. those will be added later of course

11. TrueBlue23

TrueBlue23

I'm in Kentucky btw

12. lake_harley

lake_harley

OK. I'm confused though. In post #1 you posted "Are there any other companies out there besides the most popular ones that sell a nice model A style spring that isn't too awful tall?". But then in post #9 you say "I was hoping there was a another spring on the market that would sit just a bit higher. going a touch higher in the rear would help eliminate the need to tunneling the floor for the driveshaft."

You wanting to go higher or lower? I'm lost as to what you're asking.

Lynn

13. Somewhere in all all this you have to realise there are going to be clearance issues.
    You also need to have the car sitting how you want it.
    You need a ride that's decent for what it is.

Now...there comes a time when you have to deal with clearance issues. If you have the car sitting how you want it fully loaded and there are clearance issues, you have to act.

We know the ends of the cross member are capped. That's a clearance issue.
    If the floor will need a tunnel at the ride height you want, do it.

No point having a car that looks like shit but, hey everything clears and I didn't have to cut anything!

TrueBlue23 likes this.
  14. TrueBlue23

TrueBlue23

I meant a bit higher than the medium arch speedway spring I now have mocked up. I'm no longer having clearance issues with the frame and spring. Essentially I'd like to get about a 3" lift over the current stance. A typical Model A style spring will be too tall. I was looking for a mid range height spring if that makes more sense.

15. goldmountain

goldmountain

Look at the Kookie car. Big spacer between the spring and the A crossmember.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TrueBlue23 likes this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

Make a flatter cross member

lake_harley likes this.
  17. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

I agree. Keep the spring you have and change the crossmember. The least expensive way would be as goldmountain suggests, a spacer between spring & crossmember.

18. goldmountain

goldmountain

On my car, I managed to raise it a bit with a spacer made from cut down spring leaves and a longer center bolt.