Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cardone point style distributor, any good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sporty45, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Sporty45

Sporty45

I'm looking at the Cardone 84-1835 point distributor for my big block Chevy and would like to hear any comments on quality. I currently have an HEI, but would like to be able to move the engine as far back as possible. Thanks for any input. :cool:

2. A1 Cardone use to be a good rebuilder.They have cut corners a bit in the last few years on some products. If you get a OEM distributor from them,and the shaft bushings feel tight you should have no problem. OEM cores are getting harder to locate so the rebuilders often sell new made Chinese copies as rebuilt.

lothiandon1940 and Sporty45 like this.
  3. Sporty45

Sporty45

I'm pretty sure they are new manufacture, not rebuilds

4. They are so cheap...

Sporty45 likes this.

5. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I would look for a iron distributor on e-Bay.. You could also get one with a tach drive and have a mechanical tech...

If you want a powerful ignition run a CD box with the points distributor. That will be stronger then the HEI..

Sporty45 likes this.
  6. Sporty45

Sporty45

Yup. That's why I asked about it, wanted to know if it was junk or not

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Point distributors are different than later units in that any slop from distributor shaft wear or the bushings will really bugger the dwell. Excessive slop or clearances don't do electronic ignition any favors either but it will be very noticeable when running points. Check dimensions very carefully.

I can guarantee they don't do everything they are supposed to on a "rebuild", because if they did they would cost a fortune. If they aren't all clapped out they will be OK. If not, not.

8. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

The condensers are junk.
    The condenser in my rebuild distributor lasted until I was 10 miles from home and needed to be towed. Folks here warned me but I didn’t listen and came hone on the roll back.
    Replace the points and condenser with better units (nos from the swap meet) and your rebuilt distributor will be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shameless plug but what about a Mallory Unilite? About as small as you can get and I just happen to have one listed in the classifieds. dis2.jpg

porknbeaner and Elcohaulic like this.
  10. manyolcars

manyolcars

I was told that the cheap chinese distributors do not have replacement parts, (points, condensers) and the genuine parts dont fit. That means when the points wear out, its time for another cheap chinese distributor

11. I ran a GM dual point Tack drive Dist. in my Race Car BBC for 6 year's
    with NO Problem.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

Elcohaulic likes this.
  12. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

I bought a rebuilt Cardone points distributer from summit a couple years back. It worked pretty good for a few months. Eventually the diaphragm in the vacuum advance developed a leak and the advance quit working.

13. Sporty45

Sporty45

I thought I've read here that Mallory were questionable distributors. Don't know first hand, just what I've seen here. And I looked for your ad, but couldn't find it. Got a link to it?

14. squirrel

squirrel

I wouldn't get a Unilite. A mallory dual point would be ok, but you probably won't get vacuum advance that way. If you can find an old NORS cardone distributor, that would be a good way to go. Or see if you can find an old used original Chevy distributor, and clean it up, and use it (the old points and condenser that are in it are probably higher quality than you can buy today).

Truck64 and Sporty45 like this.
  15. I forgot to say that I have that Dist. in my Merc. at this time for
    at least 45 year's and its still going Strong & I would rather have a GM
    Dist than anything else.!
    Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny thing about the posting. When I tried to search for it to bump it nothing came up so I had to scroll through a bunch of pages to find it. Now at least it shows under my posts. Maybe it had to do with the sever reset of just computers, who knows. Anyway, here is the link. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...8201-chevy-distributor.1207389/#post-13768461

17. larry k

larry k

NO ! The points ain't the same as factory gm. And won't fit if replaced.

squirrel likes this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

That's good to know.

19. Sporty45

Sporty45

Something like this, Jim?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pr...569105?hash=item3b4b6dfa11:g:tfEAAOSwIitfIHx2

20. squirrel

squirrel

That's a definite possibility.

Be sure to check the vacuum advance, and perhaps see if you can find an NORS replacement for it...they do go bad when they get that grungy looking. I have a Standard Ignition catalog that lets me look up the part numbers, to search for on ebay.

Elcohaulic and Sporty45 like this.
  21. I used to work at Advance Auto parts a few years back and Cardone was considered to be not the most desirable product line. Their "rebuilt" stuff was mostly just cleaned up used parts with only the bare minimum of worn out pieces replaced. You get what you pay for and you can do better.

22. squirrel

squirrel

On the other hand, back then when I needed to get a car running right, a Cardone rebuilt distributor was a very cost effective way to do so. I didn't have any trouble with them, but I also don't think I kept any for a long time.

23. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I've bought the complete new ones and had no problems and actually put pertronix in half before I put em in a car

24. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Cardone makes a real nice 9" aluminum drum for the brakes on the 10 and 12 bolt GM rear ends.. I was waiting to hear all kinds of issues with them but everybody that bought them likes them..

25. squirrel

squirrel

Is that the drum that was OEM on some of the late 70s A bodies?

26. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

My unilite is in its 4th engine , going strong since 1987 .. My 73 chev pickup is on its 3rd engine with the original GM points distributor ..

Elcohaulic and Sporty45 like this.
  27. The old Echlin/Accel points distributers were good too. I personally am a Mallory man (and as Jim knows am partial to the unilite LOL), but I have used Echlin and Accel distributors (my father in law was the NW regional regional rep) and had good luck with them.

On the my do not like list for anyone deciding that electronic is the way to go, the electronic Accel units that I have seen since the '90s are junk.

Sporty45 likes this.
  28. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I think so..

29. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

When running any electronic ignition you should use a capacitor. I like the one MSD sells..