Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration anyone ever seen these clear red hubcaps??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Oct 5, 2020.

1. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Time to offer your buddy a hundred bucks for them Mark! :D

kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  2. lake_harley

lake_harley

Are you thinking of Jerry Mathers...da Beaver? :rolleyes:

Lynn

kidcampbell71, Deuces and 41rodderz like this.
  3. Just the thing so you can see your greasy old hubcap, or your missing wheel nut.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man those are different. Bet they’d look cool on some chrome steelies with street lights lighting them up.

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Well it DOES say "minor shelf wear", that's why the low price.

Hnstray and scrap metal 48 like this.
  6. aircap

aircap

On the right car - those could be cool.

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  7. Sure.

302GMC and Deuces like this.
  8. always easier to start high and come down, than to start low and come up.

49ratfink, Automotive Stud and Deuces like this.
  9. fuzzface

fuzzface

I feel so stupid now. Got talked into going to a farm auction with the neighbor guy must be at least 15 years ago. The owner died and the farm was being subdivided and I knew of them and used to run around with the one son many years ago. actually he was the one that taught me to drive stick.

There was multiple stacks of these on the one hay wagon. A group of us were trying to figure what they were used for but we were concentrating on farm use. Only thing that we could come up with it must have been something that wore out or broke easily because he had so many. We also came to the conclusion that hole was for draining water, clean out hole or to access a grease gun thru. But nothing made total sense to us.

Auctioneer just called them colored lenses and didn't know either. Even the owner son I knew had no clue and never saw them before until they were cleaning out the property and they were in the old milk house. So that got us thinking in that direction but to no avail.

Kim ( the owner son) told me his dad was good at bringing things home from the local dump (Remember those?) years ago and thinks that might be where he got them from. Some dealership maybe brought a bunch of these thinking they were going to make a killing and couldn't get rid of them and just trashed them when they were cleaning up or maybe they were just a give away item that never went over until now how many decades later?

They were all stack of red ones except 2 of them I thought were blue but they might have been green. They were really caked with dirt and heavy dust so they have been there for a while in the milk house.

Now if they were on the other side of the property where they had the antiques, old car, car parts, old big wheel bike etc. maybe we would have been thinking more on this line but it was on the hay wagon with all the smaller farm type stuff.

, Took all these years and never thought about them until I saw them listed here and knew immediately. Boy, I feel really stupid for not buying them, they went dirt cheap. The whole corner of the wagon full of them for less than $10 bucks. :( I tried buying the big wheel bike but dropped out at a $1,000 but I didn't come home empty handed, I brought the 1930 Studebaker that was hanging out in the old corn crib since 1965. :)

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Holy smokes. If @Moriarity didn't know of them....they're beyond super rare!

11. alchemy

alchemy

I still think they are traffic light lenses. Maybe some marketing genius saw them at the plastic manufacturer and wondered if there was a new use for them. He's the guy who added the rubber snap ring.

Has anyone ever seen them actually snapped onto a wheel? That rubber ring has got to be ugly on a nice chrome wheel.

Hnstray and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. There is nothing new under the sun.

Like I always say. Rare is code word for 'Not popular in their day'.

Lepus, ironrodder, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.
  13. That applies for most things, not just car parts. What many collectors covet are often unpopular or poor designs from once upon a time. In other words, flops.

kidcampbell71 and Moriarity like this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

haha, great minds think alike. My saying is " another definition of rare is nobody wanted em when they were new."

15. cs39ford

cs39ford

8B33BB60-F46D-43C6-8E8C-AA937B900138.jpeg 7D2F5BED-C25D-49A8-B92D-7B12E85F5791.jpeg Was unable to buy these a few years ago. But kept the photos.

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Those ^^^look exactly like the ones I sold maybe 8-10 years ago....

17. Mark could probably come up with a chrome reverse wheel to model them on.
    There's a couple of traffic lights around here. Lens diameter is maybe 8 inches. Not anywhere close to 14'', plus they're glass. Hmm, go cart hub caps..

18. I must admit that even as an old guy, I have never seen these before. At first glance, my thoughts were they were kinda "gimmicky", but after thinking more about them, I think they would be pretty cool on an appropriate colored custom. In the absence of chrome reverse wheels, one could paint regular "steelies" with a bright Gold color and add these for a nice "pop".

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the bubble top rods.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice Beauty Bubbles, baby...

21. cs39ford

cs39ford

Could be

Blue One and scrap metal 48 like this.
  22. Garth Houston

Garth Houston

I am still looking for the valve stem hole...Is the 8:00 AM OR PM ?

23. Throw some fuzzy dice inside before putting on the hubcap And you could have your own mobile game of trouble. Anyone remember that game?

Attached Files:

61Cruiser, Tman, Lepus and 11 others like this.
  24. ...........Must be a Canadian thing.:D;)

25. Never seen them! I wonder if they were in any old JC Whitney catalogs. :confused: I see the marketing that was done selling them in a pair. With the pair on the box.:rolleyes:

26. I have now. :D

Those are cool, perfect for a candy red coupe with chromies. :cool:

They are no doubt a '60s custom trick. As I recall 14" wheels were the real deal in the '60s.

Moriarity likes this.
  27. Cool, as said they would be neat with chrome wheels or even painted silver

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. Judging by the artwork on the box, look to be late 60's or 70's?

29. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Sometimes yes but many awesome things have been done by people for themselves that never intended to market for other's. There are many creative guys out there that like most of us want to have something different and cool that is not available . Not everyone is in it for the money . These kind of things are what I go to car shows to see. I can find popular parts in advertisements.

30. These are posted on egay now for the paltry sum of 2 grand. :eek: HRP

s-l1600 (1).jpg

mgtstumpy, loudbang, Deuces and 3 others like this.