Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dumb SBC intake and carb question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Worth messing with for a 283 or 327 build?
    Mild cruiser.
    I have a couple power pack engines missing the intakes. Getting tired of the normal Edelbrock stuff.
    F4110DB4-A046-4154-829A-F8A6F25C35B9.jpeg

Blues4U likes this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

They were good enough for the factory .

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I used think every sbc had to have an aftermarket intake , valve covers ,cam, carb and headers.... now I think stock intake , reliable carb, Chevy script valve covers and Corvette 2 1/2” outlet ram horn exhaust manifolds , engine painted orange with brackets and air cleaner painted black .... oooh la la .:oops:

Tman, Oilguy, 61Cruiser and 7 others like this.
  4. Same here.
    I have a nice set of script covers, power pack heads and rams horns.
    The plan was removing the aftermarket lettering from an aluminum intake and painting it orange.
    I can probably pick these up for around $75.

OLSKOOL57 and Deuces like this.

5. Not a bad idea.

OLSKOOL57 and Deuces like this.
  6. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see why not, they're plenty reliable. Could use a 327/300 intake and an AFB too.

Algoma56 likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

Getting a small base carb to work right these days, can be challenging. But the intakes are fine, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference in performance compared to an aftermarket intake, by feel

OLSKOOL57, Hot Rod Nut and flatford39 like this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

GM once sold cast iron Z/28 intake manifolds over the counter... They were copies of aluminum version Chevy installed on the Camaros and LT-1 350 powered Corvettes.... They had the Holley carb standard bolt pattern.... I'm sure you could find those floating around on eBay....

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  9. I have a 4jet on a current ride.
    Pulled it off a 394 Olds.
    Seems ok but I plan to replace with a Qjet.
    the engine seems to want to breath more.
    Shouldn’t have that issue with a 283.

Deuces likes this.
  10. 6sally6

6sally6

Should work fine..........if you enjoy SBF's passing you!
    Jus say'in
    6sally6

Bandit Billy likes this.
  11. Could care less who passes me.
    I’m happy being the last guy that shows up

Tman, 302GMC, 57 Fargo and 1 other person like this.
  12. Fordors

Fordors

That was offered to skirt the rule that some circle track associations had, intake manifolds had to be OEM and cast iron, no aluminum manifolds allowed. It could be beneficial for marine use too.
    The carb pad accepted both Holley and Quadrajet carburetors.

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve been running Carter WCFB & Rochester 4 GC’s for years with fuel available with out a problem. The accelerator pump material is compatible and there are no power valves to blow. The key is to clean the exhaust passages and the one under the carb base in the cast iron. The typical 327 in 1964-5 in an Impala got over 20 mpg on the road.

14. The MPG is one reason. seems all carbs have issues. Like asking the dreaded Holley vs Edelbrock question.
    I’m a big Qjet fan but also understand many aren’t
    The 4jet I used had a carb base leak issue that was easily fixed. The accelerator pump linkage length was also slightly off.
    Other than that, it was a straight forward build.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    Tman likes this.
  15. I think those manifolds and the smaller carb can work fine. Biggest drawback is the weight vs alum, as you are not going for ultimate top hp numbers. Think how many thousand 2873 and 327 ran around witih that same setup for years of good reliable service.

anthony myrick likes this.
  16. The question was dumb I guess. Kinda like when young folks asks if old cars can be driven daily.
    My SBC endeavors (personal rides) is new.
    Installed my first one (personal ride) almost 4 years ago. I guess I’m a little late to the game.
    The abundance of cheap parts due to LS engines is one reason.

17. Stock looking engines are for restorations. Hot rodders have been adding high performance alloy parts to their engines since the beginning. The "bling" just followed...

18. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I'm running one of those manifolds adapted to a 570 Holley Street Avenger carb on a 305. Seemed to have more low end grunt than the aluminum manifold it replaced. I haven't checked mileage with it.

Gary

19. X-cpe

X-cpe

Any 60's teen would have bolted one of those on, in place of his 2 barrel, in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Deuces and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  20. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I bought a 300 horse intake for my 283 powered 55 back in 1963. AFB carb, Duntov 097 cam, and of course Corvette valve covers. Great setup.