Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Please tell me about ford's inline 300 six?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flynn's_57, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

I'm in need of a power-plant for my '58 (FoMoCo... [coff-coff] edsel) custom...
    Initially, I was thinking big-block FE... Then I was thinking "302" ('cause they are everywhere)....

But I don't plan on racing it or anything and horsepower isn't as important as reliability.
    And I hear they are good engines.
    (I love engines that don't use aluminum, and no timing chain! Heavy and dependable! "The weight is a sign of reliability," Right?)

Tips, tricks, advice, warnings-
    Anything you can tell me about these motors, I'd like to hear.
    Thanks guys!

Spooky and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. swervyjoe

swervyjoe

I put a 223 in the Edsel I had. I'm pretty sure a 300 is too long to fit without some modifications.

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  3. Those engines have good torque, and are reliable. I know a guy that put one in a 1947 Chevy. Lots of transmission options as the bolt pattern is the same as the SBF. Ford was experimenting with a cross flow head at one point, but it never panned out.

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  4. gas pumper

gas pumper

I had a 300 inline in a Bronco. Put a 2 barrel carb on an Offy Manifold, headers, Big cap Dura spark ignition. Ran great, Plenty of power an torque qnd got great gas mileage. Be different, get in line!!!

5. Greatest light duty truck engine ever built. Period. I would love to see one in a car. Your car can’t weigh anymore than a 90’s F-150. My nephew’s F-150 runs very well and it has shitty 2.73 gears. Remember, the 300 and it’s little forgotten brother the 240, came out in 1965 and the 240 was the standard six in full size cars. Externally they are the same size. Please keep us informed on this project.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

69thumper, j-jock and Flynn's_57 like this.
  6. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a reliable platform. I have not owned one, but remember reading a lot of high performance mod articles in the late 60s, early 70s. The one that sticks in my mind the most was a hop up that included a belt driven gas fuel injection pump setup off a Mercedes. Not sure what's available for parts today, but even if you are not in any shop up stuff it's still a solid platform. And I would not call myself a Ford guy, but a few times they got it right.

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  7. goldmountain

goldmountain

Those engines are very long. Make sure to measure the engine compartment before you commit to buying one.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  8. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Love mine in my 56!

Flynn's_57 and Spooky like this.
  9. Ford Australia put a cross flow head on their 300 to overcome emissions.

j-jock and Flynn's_57 like this.
  10. wsdad

wsdad

11. That was the car engine. The 300 truck engine is a different series.

Flynn's_57, 53 effie and seb fontana like this.
  12. 6 in a row makes it go !!!!!

I got a thing for inline 6 engines.

the ford 300 is a great engine. But long, make sure it fits where ya wanna stick it .

they make great power and run forever !!

13. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I had one once, I understood that it was the most polluting engine that Ford made and that is why it was discontinued but it did run good and was very reliable.

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  14. jockeyshift41

jockeyshift41
    from Florida

I’ve had three mid 80’s F150’s over the years all with 300’s. All ran great, pulled a lot of weight, easy to work on, parts readily available. The bodies rotted out before the engines quit other wise I would still have one of them. Offy made a four barrel intake for them too.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

You thinkin' about maybe keepin' it for a while?

16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a couple. One in a '95 F150 and one in a Winnebago. I hopped up the one in the Winnebago with later exhaust manifolds (they look more like headers), a Holley 390 on an Offy 4 BBL manifold, and an Erson cam. It ran real strong; too bad the brakes on the Winnie weren't near as good as that engine.:eek:

I only have good things to say about them!:)

j-jock likes this.
  17. How so?

weps and Beanscoot like this.
  18. 1952henry

1952henry

I think the exhaust manifolds from the efi engines are a good choice unless going for aftermarket items.

ottoman likes this.
  19. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

As is the SBF. Really the six is not that much longer. When you shorten the fan spacer and use V belts it may be the same length or even shorter than a 5.0 with serpentines.

Flynn's_57 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  20. My neighbor’s first grain truck was a 1967 Ford F-600 with a 300, four speed and two speed axle. I think it had a 16 foot grain bed on it. It wasn’t fast, but pulled the load just fine. I’ve had two 300’s, Dad has had two, and my nephew is on his first. I’m sure he will have more! I can’t think of a better engine for a 16 year old!

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  21. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Really tough engine, still using some in the oilfield, will run forever with good maintenance. 79 f150 350000 was not running great so we tore it down, cam had eaten thru the bearing and into the block at the front , cylinders were barrel shaped. Got it honed, new bearings, oversized pistons and rings, still running around the farm

weps and Flynn's_57 like this.
  22. tjm73

tjm73

I'd skip the 300 and run a Y-block. Looks better. Sounds better. Probably get better economy. Fit just fine. Make more power.

23. belair

belair

300 Spartans, 300 cubic inches. Coincidence? I think not. I hope you can make it work. Inlines are great engines.

24. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

I run a ‘81 F100 with the three hundred. Runs awesome, cruises great with 3.08 rears and a three speed. 20 MPG in a short bed p-u. I don’t run it much in the winter, sits out in yard for a month in the cold-cold-cold.....starts right up....good motors......Mark

Spooky likes this.
  25. colin455

colin455
    from Alberta

They made a Fenton dual carb intake for the 6. You can get headers, lots of hop-up parts, surprisingly.
    There’s a guy on YouTube pushing over 300 HP out of his. Neat buzzy sound.

Lil'Alb likes this.
  26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I had an OT '81 Bronco that I sold at 324,000 miles, and it still ran great. Guy who bought it was very happy with it. I just looked on internet and found dimensions and a couple of pictures of one in a '56 F-100.
    300 DIMENSIONS (1971 year):

FRT-FACE-OF-BLOCK to REAR-FACE-OF-BLOCK: 725 mm / 28.56"

OAL (FAN-to-CRANK-FLANGE): 931 mm / 36.65"

HEIGHT CL CRANK-to-TOP-OF-BREATHER-CAP: 486 mm / 19.12"

HT OIL-PAN-to-TOP-OF BREATHER-CAP: 690 mm / 27.17"
    300-1.jpg 300-2.jpg

Lil'Alb, Spooky, winduptoy and 3 others like this.
  27. Mimilan

Mimilan

Throw in a junkyard Roller cam 5.0 engine with an AOD behind it.
    We've pulled down junkyard engines with over 200k on the clock and they were still showing the crosshatch marks in the bore.

Convert it to 2 barrel carb , non serpentine waterpump, and Cast Iron exhaust manifolds.
    Paint it black with Gold Air Cleaner and Gold Rocker Covers. [I would even consider using an FE radiator header tank to give it that old timer look]

With the roller cam, they have short duration which gives them good low rpm street manners. And the AOD allows you to cruise the interstate without beating your eardrums to death.

The 5.0 V8 had an honest 210 horsepower vs 150 for the 300 I6

Edit: And drive the wheels off it

Spooky and King ford like this.
  28. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

I freaking love the HAMB!!!!
    (You guys ROCK! Thank you!)

Spooky likes this.
  29. My college thesis was on this engine and how to put it in a Falcon chassis.
    Clifford 6=8 has soooooo much info, get their catalog.
    Spread two carbs to even the mixture flow to the chambers. get the
    compression up, use a cam that will work in your driving habits.
    HEADERS and dual exhaust. A few mods and this will eat 289's and 302's..
    Shes rear fine my 300

sammyb likes this.
  30. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I just sold an Offy 4bbl intake to a fellow HAMBer in Alberta for his 300. My brother had a F150 and he was very happy with it. Now I sill have a second Offy intake I may sell but I'm intrigued with the 300... does anyone know if they would fit the Falcon derivative (keeping it HAMB friendly!) Maverick/Comet platform. Neighbour has a Comet he said I couldn't have. So...!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    King ford likes this.