Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hot Rods and War

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TigerFan, Oct 4, 2020.

1. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

I’ve always enjoyed reading about the link between WWII veterans and hot rods. To me, some of the most iconic and inspiring stories of that era focus on guys coming home and building (or finishing) the hot rod of their dreams.

While the historical record of this connection might have started with WWII, I’m confident it’s been experienced in every conflict since then. I think there’s a multi-generational link between wartime service and the feelings people have for their cars, and I have wondered for some time if other guys on the HAMB have their own stories of how their hot rods were on their minds while overseas.

I served in Afghanistan twice between 2002 and 2003, and have strong memories of planning my dream roadster while over there, and waiting for a new issue of Rod & Custom or Street Rodder to arrive. I can remember specific ads and articles that formed the foundation of what I think of as my perfect hot rod, and those ideas are getting incorporated now into my ‘31 roadster.

Does anyone else have similar stories about their hot rod dreams while overseas, that you don’t mind sharing?

2. Aeroman

Aeroman

Thank you for your service.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

4. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

Thanks, Aeroman.

I meant to add that I’d love to also hear any similar stories anyone might want to share about their dad or granddad...

Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.

5. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

A friend of mine's 96 year old father told me a great story a couple years back when I gave him a ride in my 39 Chevy. In the early 40's, He owned a 37 Ford coupe that was a little rough, and I guess him and his buddies tried to do a chop that was a mess. He was shipped as a Marine to the South Pacific in late 1944, and before he left, he dropped it off at a shop in LA to see what they could do, hoping he had some money saved when he came back. Well, luckily he did come back, and when he went to check on the car, it had been beautifully completed, with a nicely chopped windshield, Carson Top and paint touch up to match the rest of the car. The owner of the shop refused to charge him a dime, and told him he earned every penny of the work with what he had done for our Country. He said it was a shop on Vermont, but couldn't remember who it was. I can only assume that it was Vermont Auto Works where the Carson Top started. AND - thank you for Your service, @TigerFan !

charleyw, Deuces, williebill and 10 others like this.
  6. When my dad came home from the war he immediately bought a used Harley but when my mom got pregnant with me she laid down the law....we would have a family car! The ol man bought a 33 Willys coupe! He left it stock.
    When I came home from the Army in [Germany] '69 I had a car all ready for me. It was a 57 Pontiac I'd bought and left in my parent's back yard on blocks. My little brother had kept it washed and polished. Came home, bought a new battery for it and I was set.. 57Ponchoonstreet.jpg

7. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Back in 1964/65 after wheeling and dealing, I finally got my hands on a unfinished 32' five window and began to finish it. Next thing I knew, I was drafted and before long on my way to Viet Nam. Before I shipped out I took some photos of it. So along with those, I had a photo of my girlfriend at the time. Before basic was over, I got the dear john letter that she dumped me. Well I got my wallet out and threw her photo away, but kept the one's of the 32'. Somehow they managed to stay dry enough that I would frequently look at them and dream of getting out of the hell hole I was in and finish the car. I am truly blessed to say I came home and finished it. To this day I still think about the so many other guys who were not as lucky as me.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  8. knucklenutz

knucklenutz

Welcome Home Brother !

9. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

While serving in the Far East AAFES (Army Air Force Exchange Service) had a program set up for the troops to be able to buy a new car while overseas. I can remember two soldiers arguing over which car to buy a Corvette with a big block or a small block (this was a a firebase camp way up North). I think this program is still going on because in Iraq they had a HD motorcycle dealer. Most bases and forts state side had their own Auto Hobby Shop where you could work on your car for about .25 cents per hour.

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

I heard a great story from a car-guy neighbor about when he was in Vietnam.

His high-school car was a 56 Chevy and it wasn't anything special but he loved the car and had plans for it.

His number came up and his dad told him he'd take care of the car.

His mother would write these long, beautiful letters but never included any info about the car. So, in a letter back, he asks how the car is.

Next letter comes, again from mom and dad adds a sentence or two at the bottom... about the car. He's been driving it. It needed new tires so he swaps them.

Next letter, same thing, another item changed or updated.

Later on, his dad writes his own letter. Something broke with the engine and he and the uncle drop a replacement in. Car is doing well.

Well, life was hard and letters were sparse but over the course of his stay over seas the car was completely overhauled. However, my neighbor really didn't have a clue. It sounded like dad was driving the wheels off it and taking care of it.

When he came home the car had beautiful torque thrusts, an 8-track, and a big block among a bunch of little odds and ends.

Best part of the story is when dad and mom pick him up at the bus station, they did it in the 56. He's was floored by the look but had no clue about the big block until he pulled out of the lot and it was evident there was no longer a 283 under the hood.

Later, his dad and uncle would let slip all the stories and hijinks of them hot rodding the car while he was away at work.

11. Blown35

Blown35

IMG_0828.JPG My 35 3 Window exists because of my association with P51 Mustangs (that's me at 18 in a surplus Mustang) , having the privilege of meeting many WWII pilots and crew chiefs, hearing their story of the war and returning home, turning their energies and lust for an adrenaline rush to cheap early Ford Coupes to race at Bonneville! The 1950 picture helped inspire me. P9250465.JPG PETER_MARTIN_001.jpg

My 35 Coupe was built to emulate their stories, follow best period correct speed parts and techniques they shared 35threeBonneville.jpg ... and honor them.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  12. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

These are great stories, and I appreciate everyone who has contributed.

Michael - Thanks for sharing. We can’t miss the fact that not everyone comes home, can we? Thank you for pointing that out. I’d love to see a picture of the ‘32, if you have one that you could share.

Rocky and Blown35 - Those are beautiful cars. Many years ago I worked at a shop that regularly serviced and modified a tri-five Pontiac (can you even say that, or is it just Chevrolets?) for a customer. I always liked them, and yours makes me think of it. And can you get much better than a ‘35 Ford? That is just awesome.

39ChevyBob and Brent - While it wasn’t a surprise, while I was overseas I had a buddy back home who would take my Mustang to get it worked on so when I got home it was ready. He and his wife took great care of it, and drove it for me too. I wish I’d had my ‘31 then so it could have been getting worked on all that time instead...

Thank you all so much sharing these stories. I’d love to hear more.

13. About 15 years ago I wanted to assemble a pickup my dad would have built when he came home from WWII in '45. I tried to keep it all pre 45 but cheated with a 12 volt generator, 49 ford dash and a T-5 trans with a cut down 33 shifter.
    My dad passed before I could show it to him and I sold it to T-man. Cab was a 33, engine was a 40 ford and rear axle was 42 ford pickup. Pickup box was 27 T. 33atbtt50s04.jpg 33atspeed.jpg

Tim, williebill, woodsnwater and 5 others like this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This 33 coupe was chopped in an Idaho, High School metal shop. The instructor started the job, about the time the Korean War broke out, and he went to war. When his hitch was up, he returned to teach at the same school, and the 33 was still there waiting for him. So he finished the job. IMG_5266.JPG

15. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

I have posted this before, but it sure is dated (the go-go girl's dresses). This was from the 1968 Baltimore car show. As I said, not a day goes by that I don't count my blessing and bless the one who didn't come home and curse anyone who belittles those who have served. fullsizeoutput_548.jpeg

williebill, Deuces, j hansen and 4 others like this.
  16. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I am sure we all heard the story about the service member who did not make it home and his hot rod, custom, or muscle car is still at his parents garage where he left it before leaving.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  17. Deuces

Deuces

Looks like a mother and daughter team.....

loudbang likes this.
  18. I will not say if I was over seas or not, my generation was not good enough for this country then and in my mind it is too damned late.

I think it sounds pretty romantic to dream about your car, or your bike or your sweetheart. The later probably kept more men alive than anything. But the truth is that most men slogging around in a rice paddy or sleeping in a makeshift hooch are mostly thinking about staying alive.

If you are offended by my opinion I am sorry for you. There is nothing romantic about war.

19. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

Michael - Your ‘32 was amazing. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Porknbeaner - I’m glad you wrote. You won’t find me romanticizing war, and I’m thankful you said something so I can add that. Maybe I could have framed my thoughts better to avoid that impression. Let’s be clear: war is an ugly, confusing, unfair, and heartbreaking thing. I have few illusions about that.

I do unapologetically romanticize hot rods however, and the effect they’ve had on me. Hot rods have provided a sense of escape for me for a long time—to include while I was in Afghanistan and I had the time to think about them. I bet a bunch of HAMBers also valued hot rods the same way, but I could also just be alone in that.

I thought about my sweetheart a lot too; she’s my wife now and we’re about to celebrate our 17th anniversary in a few days. We got engaged while I was home on leave. I hope she knows how much I thought about her. I should tell her, because she might think only I dreamt about old Fords. As well as she knows me, she could be forgiven for drawing that conclusion. But if I had to choose between the two (my wife or hot rods) there would be no contest—she’d win every time.

Again, you made important points, and helped me to better explain mine. You certainly didn’t offend me.

Thanks.

bowie, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  20. Boatmark

Boatmark

My first thought on the subject was a story I read somewhere about Vic Edelbrock Sr. and WWII. Before the war there was a large number of Japanese American’s in the Hot Rod scene in SoCal. After these guys were rounded up on short notice and shipped to the interment camps, Edelbrock went around to their houses / shops and loaded up their tools to store in his building. His thought being that they were losing all their possessions, but if they came home to their tools they would have what they needed to work, and start over.

I’m going from memory so anyone who knows the straight story feel free to correct anything I have wrong. I guess the story stuck with me because it seemed a very stand up thing to do for a fellow man.

21. Iehooligan11b

Iehooligan11b

Yeah they still have that program. They had a Harley dealer in Afghanistan and my buddy bought a new Silverado while we were on KAF lol

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.