Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***October 2020 Banger Meet Thread - Spooky Month & Year***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

The37Kid, mctim64, Mikko_ and 13 others like this.
  2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

like the stance . motor is cool also

3. 51 mercules

51 mercules

4. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Jet96 likes this.
  5. Checking in! It's been a minute since I've built a banger but I'm back at it!
    Picking up this 5 bearing block later today, and should be getting a Simmons Super Power head soon.

Does anyone know the advantages of a 5 bearing block opposed to a 3?

Attached Files:

marshs, Jet96 and Shutter Speed like this.
  6. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Checkin in late. High times in Brrmont! Ain’t ready to hibernate yet. 8573F7DC-C3CC-4DEF-82E4-09F17D735A6A.jpeg

mctim64, barrnone50, Lil'Alb and 4 others like this.
  7. Assuming a 5 cam bearing block?You can run a more radical cam. Well - slightly more radical...

8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be cam bearing. Early block. Looks like maybe an early oil pan too. Still has three main bearings

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

burl likes this.
  9. railcarmover

railcarmover

Smooth sided pan...beaver tail crank?

10. railcarmover

railcarmover

Good thing you don't live in the peoples republic of california,multiple unsecured passengers is a capital offense,punishable by death from lethal injection.. :)

11. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Retson,
    If thats a ‘28 A blk, you are talking 5 CAM bearings...unless maybe a girdle with 5 MAIN bearings. OR, new Burtz blk with 5x5. Or D block 5x5.
    The 5 cam bearings in the ‘28 A blk, provide more cam support to lessen cam flex Under STRONGER valve springs, and/or at high revs.
    which CAN mean better running engine at higher speeds. You can also use 3 or 5 bearing cam, if wanted or out of necessity.
    A 5 bearing cam new can be pricy.

Jet96 likes this.
  12. Retson,
    That would be a '28 block, 5 cam bearings. no girdle, 3 mains.
    There is quite a bit of documentation showing the progression of the blocks, the '28 has some strength issues at the rear main.
    Don't fret, it can still make a good running motor, and check the cam, it may be a good 5 bearing one.

J

13. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Here I yam, ...got another good tank for my ccpu, had to replace the valve cuz it had a big groove worn in it, otherwise a nice tank.. Welder buddy attached some stubs to a flange so I can get going on a little less modern-looking header for the roadster, been awesome topdown weather!

barrnone50, winduptoy and Binger like this.
  14. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"Does anyone know the advantages of a 5-bearing block opposed to a 3?"

Two.

15. Thanks everyone for great advice and knowledge.

Currently debating pulling the cam and having it reground or putting something like a b cam in it.

Got it sitting in my shed!
    [​IMG]

winduptoy likes this.
  16. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not on a dead end dirt road in Brrmont. Precisely why I’m as far away from your republic as possible. :)

winduptoy and Jet96 like this.
  17. railcarmover

railcarmover

I live in the central valley labor camp,a slave for the coastal elites..The fine weather and natural beauty makes for a high fence around the republic..your freedom comes with an unpleasant white substance I only see in picture books..you call it 'snow'?

18. railcarmover

railcarmover

pull the pan,post picture of the crankshaft..the lightest stock rotating group starts with the beaver tail crankshaft,which it should have if its a five bearing block.your camber is perfect for figure eight stock car racing btw..

winduptoy and Retson the Racer like this.
  19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

that is a fact !!!!!!!!!!!

20. Will do! Believe or not, I did the dukes of hazard jump that’s why the wheels are all cambered out!

barrnone50, winduptoy and Jet96 like this.
  21. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

got the winter project moved into position need to get this one moving on its own by next spring gota stay motivated mopar.jpg

GuyW, Outback, Jet96 and 7 others like this.
  22. One thing that has crossed my mind is sending oil to the mains. I've read that some guys tap into the block and run a copper line to a fitting attached to the center main. Some guys run a pressure relief valve around 25psi. Is it possible to send a little bit of oil to all mains?

[​IMG]

23. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

you can but unless your planing on racing not sure what the gain would be.If the clearances are right it should get enough oil to the mains.When i put the motor back together for my 28 i plumbed oil to the center because i could and it was pretty easy.I also modified the stock pump to reduce clearance and pump better.I thought i would need a regulator,had one but never installed .It seems to pump around 30 at cold start and then taper off to 10 consistant when running.Theres alot of info on the interweb to sift through but tough to find actual experiance to back it up.

24. I plan on racing it, but not super hard like with an OHV or anything. What’s the best way to contact you? Would love to pick your brain regarding modifying the pump and plumbing the center main oil line. I’ve only found a few articles on here and on Ford barn

25. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I call that white stuff "freezed dried mud"

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Send me a dm we can connect

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Retson : You might want to get : "4-Bangers! And me!" by Jim Brierley! He's forgotten more about modifing/racing Ford 4-Bangers than Henry ever dreamed of! He's here in CA. He also grinds cams & casts heads, among other talents. You might want to get in touch with "FAST" (Ford A Speed Technology) for other info....

Jet96 likes this.
  28. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

FAST (the periodic booflet) IS NO MORE !
    The last issue was about Jan 2020. This will be and is missed, as it was the GLUE that held a lot of banger guys together !
    Besides the great articles on members, hill climb and other events and cars and speed stuff for sale...it brought ‘like minded ‘ banger guys from all over the world together !
    I miss it.

GuyW and Outback like this.
  29. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

^^Dang, Hardtimes Sorry to hear that^^^

winduptoy likes this.
  30. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At long last , since Xmas , all washed up and ready for some final assembly begins on our Miller OHV diamond B . E81FD530-042F-4B8A-B29F-63CE7739CA66.jpeg B1BA8566-12D1-4CB2-B279-0D107751995E.jpeg F6C6F708-6498-42BB-9B8B-5F1A8117D21B.jpeg 2415C868-FA09-4242-AA43-CE7BEAB32874.jpeg
    2892A5F2-3251-4327-8F34-F65F97B414D4.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    mctim64, Old Dawg, Jet96 and 5 others like this.