Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Overdrive lock out cable alternatives

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Oct 4, 2020.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The cable is froze up on my Mercury and was pricing new ones and everyone is very proud of them so anyone know of a cheaper alternative,I would think a choke cable would be a little too wimpy for the job.

2. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

3. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

TSC Pull to stop.jpg
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tisco-stop-cable-cc66?cm_vc=-10005

72 inches long. only $12.99. I have a couple of these on my OT Cummins swap (Engine shut off and air horn).

If 72 inches is not long enough, take this picture into a real parts store (not "Blister-Pack-City") and ask for something longer.

P.S. That throttle control center wire looks a little light duty.

EDIT: See post below

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Cosmo49 likes this.
  4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have several "overdrive" cables I've bought from that auction site we all know and love. They are all fairly inexpensive. You pay the shipping, and I'll send you one; the last Muncie 319 OD trans I have is going to a new owner, so I no longer have use for these cables. Just do the PM thing. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. Look at heavy equipment, Forklift’s , floor scrubbers etc.

lots of this type of “actuating cables” used on them and all pretty cheap.

I would look for a throttle cable or parking brake cable that you can adapt an end on for strength and you can incorporate the adjustability factor as well.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  6. SS Pete

SS Pete

Hi Jeff, a man i know has a 56 ford with O/D, he used a PTO CABLE from a tow truck. its made for a trans, should work good. you are in a big city, must have a truck body place . good luck, Pete.

7. KenC

KenC

Push/Pull control cables are common on heavy duty commercial mowers. But, they are expensive new. Might check with a local repair shop to see if they have any used ones. Those are usually better quality than a factor OD cable too.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Macs wanted 55 and only found one on that auction site less then 30,most on there were about the same as Macs. I was figuring around 25 would have been a good price but I was way off.

9. Does the cable have to lock in position? I think that's also part of the reason pricing can get high. Has to be stiff enough to push/pull, but also, lock.

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I do not think it has to lock but this is my first overdrive trans and its froze up.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@junkyardjeff

I think that oem O/D cables did not have any sort of lock. The friction between the center wire and spiral wrap is sufficient for the cable to remain in the chosen position. In addition, there is no internal force in the O/D trying to move the O/D lever. Any of the heavier duty cables mentioned should be adequate for your need.

VANDENPLAS and pprather like this.
  12. Sounds like the deal you need.
    Thanks to Butch.

13. Ok. I had a 56 Chevrolet with overdrive system, and that cable you had to pull out, and twist handle, so that a groove cut in the bottom of handle would lock it in place. Don't know about the Ford ones. Thanks, the more info the better.

14. jaracer

jaracer

When I first got my 57 Bird, the vent cables were frozen. I removed them, clamped the housing lightly in a vise with the knob end down, made a funnel from heavy paper and taped it around the working end of the cable. I then filled the "funnel" with ATF and let it set for a day. That let gravity pull the fluid inside the housing. One of them took a couple of days and taking it out of the vise and flexing the cable housing and then back with the "funnel" and ATF. Eventually fluid came out the knob end and the cable was free. They have been working fine in the car for the last 24 years.

VANDENPLAS and Hnstray like this.
  15. Get one from Butch and then soak your old one. I had a few o/d and vent cables the were frozen over the years, but was always able to get them working again......of course there's no serious rust here :).

I think the price is for the long, thick cable with the nice chrome "T" handle. I just looked at a new one, $49.95....seems to me they used to be like $75 or $90 years ago ?!?!

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My Grandfather gave me some advice when
    I was a young man.....he said “soak it in cider”.......o_O

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is there a large boat yard close around you? Or a marine salvage? Throttle and steering cables on my old Chris Craft were pretty stout along with being stainless and well protected

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I got the cable out and its not as thick as I was expecting,its the same as a factory choke cable and my dumb ass lost the bolt that attached the cable to the arm.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call Control Cable In Santa Fe Springs, Ca. They made one (had it on the shelf) for my fuel shut off. It could push/pull and twist lock.

20. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The groove prevents the handle from turning. You only thought it was locking ....
    And Jeff - unless your cable has a plastic handle, you can coil it into a tight loop & soak it in a container of ATF, brake fluid, diesel fuel, PB blast, vinegar, or whatever for a couple days. Unless it's a total coil of rust, it'll work again. After it's freed up, straighten the trans end with pliers, pull the wire out, blow out any remaining crud & grease the housing up, then replace the wire.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  21. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

WAY in cider!!!.......Mark

22. @302GMC , always thought it was a lock or position holder. Faded memories on my part. Thanks.

23. The boat, industrial cables are Morse cables.....same ones Control sells. Also Morse has a bunch of different ends to choose from.

24. These type might work (cable stops)
    Dorman 03339
    [​IMG]

25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

His shifter AND new cable are on the way. There you go. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

pprather and Automotive Stud like this.
  26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will have to look in to one of those if that bolt can not be found.

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Found the bolt,it rolled under the seat and did get the cable freed up but went to straighten it out where it went through the bolt and it broke off.