Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical One learns by their mistakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Oct 4, 2020.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

Recessed a firewall 4 inches in a recent car build and it made a nightmare for the steering, brake and gas pedals and wiring locations. Was time and money wasted. It turned out I would not have had to do it from the beginning. I anticipated wrong Poor planning & measuring!! Be careful what you do.. Gene

Elcohaulic, Jet96, vtx1800 and 6 others like this.
  2. I’ve went to plan B more than once, and beyond that a few times. Don’t beat yourself up. It happens to all of us.

3. No big deal, keep the recess for another project (can use pieces or the whole thing).

rbrewer and fauj like this.
  4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Plan B???? Hell I consistently hover around plan E.

weps, williebill, ckdesigns and 7 others like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you don't make a mistake once in a while you have never actually done anything.

Try working on a little off topic truck and checking the firing order on line and wiring it and then figuring out that you got your big bang out the exhaust because you had used the wiring diagram for a same brand car with the same size but completely different engine after more research .

X-cpe, Sandgroper and rbrewer like this.
  6. Plan ? It's a 26 step program.

7. blazedogs

blazedogs

Mock up a similar engine block in the location where you want it to sit in the frame. Then measure & study before you start cutting things up daaa

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hopefully we learn - measure/measure; mock up; temporarily install components, measure more, remove, etc - research/ask questions, etc - keep at it - even the big name builders make major mistakes

olscrounger and rbrewer like this.
  9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I usually do everything at least twice before I'm happy with it. I've mocked a car completely up, blew it apart to rebuild everything and paint it and then something won't fit. If you're not doing it twice it's probably wrong !

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have a Zip's water pump riser on my other car and it works great so I used it to make a jig to build one myself. After finishing it, discovered that a regular water pump centered the fan on the radiator just fine. A lot of work for nothing so I gave it away to a co-worker with a Model A.

rbrewer, fauj and olscrounger like this.
  11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Too err is human, the problem is no one forgets when you do. The lessons we learn by actually doing something are permanent, especially those we have to redo. Just think how much you have learned.

rbrewer likes this.
  12. LAROKE

LAROKE

The difference between an expert and a novice is that the novice has not made any mistakes yet.

13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

It’s not so much the extra time that lets you down. I kick myself when I have to throw the extra money at it.

Algoma56 likes this.
  14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On my 27T build, I'm pretty sure I'm somewhere around plan X + 1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

williebill and Sandgroper like this.
  15. wicarnut

wicarnut

In my Trades, ( Tool & Die Maker, Pattern Maker ) there are no mistakes, engineering improvements as required. The difference between an apprentice and a journeyman, the journeyman knows how to correct his mistakes with engineering improvements. Everybody learns from their experiences, exception is the fool that keeps making the same mistakes over and over, we all know some of these guys.

16. KenC

KenC

That title is just not true. And I can prove it. If it was so, I'd be the smartest guy in the world. That's how many mistakes I've made. But, still not smart.

alanp561 likes this.
  17. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Been there, done that, and bought the T-shirt. My grandfather used to say look twice and shoot once. I'm still working on that one.

williebill and olscrounger like this.
  18. Measure twice, cut once and learn to weld.

19. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I moved this thread as it's original placement required minor adjustment

williebill likes this.
  20. X-cpe

X-cpe

Many is the time I've come up with a complicated solution, only to have the simple, elegant solution become apparent between half way to all the way to completion of the original.

Its when you repeat mistakes that you need to assess whether that's the type of activity you should be doing.

Just Gary, Wanderlust and olscrounger like this.
  21. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats where all my extra parts and components come from...

22. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

The stand I take is, this is a hobby ( maybe ). When working, you work for yourself, you be da boss. If there is a mistake made, be a NICE boss, have a session where notes and rules are considered and made. Then post your shenanigans on H. A. M. B.:D

alanp561 and LAROKE like this.
  23. Man plans............God laughs.

24. belair

belair

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

25. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Perhaps you applied your paint too heavily? LOL

ramblin dan likes this.
  26. wicarnut

wicarnut

Life Is kinda Funny IMO, In my case, When young I thought I knew everything, then I was sure I knew everything, now old can't remember anything. Still having fun, walking/talking/typing and most times making sense at least to me. I think my signature covers it for me.

LAROKE likes this.
  27. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I bought a part for an O/T project years ago. The instructions said 'Easy as 1-2-3'. I got to part K and damn near set it on fire...on purpose.

williebill likes this.
  28. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Over engineered, not mistakes

29. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

I too recently put a recessed firewall in a Model A closed cab with, in hindsight, some regret. It only challenges us to find a solution in re: seats , pedals etc. One member on here posted "If you fail to plan, you should plan to fail." The objective is fewer trips back to the drawing board.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  30. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Everything I do looks good in my head.
    Sadly, my head to hand coordination sucks.