Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rebel Wire Harness diagrams and wiring info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by REBEL43, Aug 30, 2018.

1. @REBEL 43. Label needed above.

Phil

frank_a likes this.
  2. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, You got a sticker for your fuse box!...
    I got this, even hard to figure out when you staring at it...upside down.
    upload_2020-4-30_7-6-28.png
    I used "hot rod wires" ... no sticker, no wiring diagram...
    I'll try Rebel Next time!

REBEL43, frank_a and The37Kid like this.
  3. frank_a

frank_a
    from New York

Thanks to Jeremy at Rebel Wire in the last few weeks, I rescued an old cannibalized 9+3 fuse box I bought at the Syracuse Nats years ago. By the time I had a lot of wire run, I was too much into it to just get a new box. Nevertheless Jeremy helped me get my hot rod wired. Great fellow. Only a few things left, and he already helped me with those.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    Hombre likes this.
  4. 4woody

4woody

I used their motor too (and agree that the motor is a good one at a good price), with the Ron Francis switchhttps://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WS%2D5 , but couldn't figure out how to get it to Park. Did you get yours to park?

5. frank_a

frank_a
    from New York

What sort of a relay do I need for my electric fan? And wire it into one of the 2 wires of the +3 that is not the constant hot right?

6. @REBEL43, fan relay help needed above. Thanks.

Phil

7. topher5150

topher5150

I know I need this lil guy on the left, but what about the one on the right that hooks to the ignition?
    80s Bronco steering column IMG_20200615_132936565.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

9. topher5150

topher5150

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

If I was working on this, first I would score a Ford ignition switch plug off a junk harness. Find the fattest wire going in and assume that that is the hot lead from the battery. With a multimeter hook one lead to this wire and probe the other ones with the switch in the IGN position and see which ones light up and label them. Then with the switch in the ACC position, see which ones light up. The ones that don't come on in the ACC position should go to the ignition circuit - the coil and gauges and whatever you deem not worthy of power when you are at the submarine races. The one that lights up in the START position obviously goes to the starter. Wire accordingly.

BigChief and firstinsteele like this.
  11. I did my own wiring for the first time....

12. topher5150

topher5150

Found it IMG_20200616_170413988.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hombre likes this.
  13. goldmountain

goldmountain

In this case, I would guess that the yellow leads are the hot battery source since they are fat and there are two of them. I could be wrong but keep testing until you figure it out. Set the meter on the ohm setting since you are testing for continuity. It really isn't that hard to do. Have fun.

topher5150 likes this.
  14. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

The typical Ford colors around that year are: both yellows need to be hot (power into the switch), the black/green comes out as a keyed hot (acc) to feed a row of fuses, and the gray/yellow is a keyed hot (ign) to feed fuses. Red/blue is normally the start wire (just hot in start), the red/green is normally the coil wire (hot in run and start). Definitely bench test it to be sure, but maybe that will help out.
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

vtx1800, JeffB2, RICH B and 2 others like this.
  15. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

I got him! Frank knows he can call me whenever he needs something

pprather likes this.
  16. goldmountain

goldmountain

17. I am using a Rebel kit and am having an issue. I didn't want to call on a Friday night so thought I would ask here to see if anyone had any ideas before I try and call Jeremy next week.

I am having an issue with blowing fuses on my signal light circuit. I am using a generic 7 wire switch. When I turn on the signal lights the left turn signal works fine but as soon as I switch to the right turn signal it flashes once and blows a fuse. I have unplugged both the front and rear lights and it still blows the fuse as soon as I turn to the switch to the right signal light. I thought it might be the switch as it was an old one so I bought a new switch and am still having the same problem. Any ideas what might be wrong or what I should check next? Everything else seems to be working fine.

18. Power runs to the switch. When the right side switch is turned on, fuse blows. Sounds like a short between switch and right side bulb.
    I would start at the right turn light connections and work back toward the switch.

Phil

19. goldmountain

goldmountain

Without turning on the turn signal, try stepping on the brakes. Does it blow a fuse? If it does, the problem is in the right rear wire. If not, it is in the right front wire.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

40grit, RICH B and pprather like this.
  20. Thanks guys. I pulled the dash, looked at all the wires, took all the connectors apart and checked all my grounds. I didn't see anything that was an obvious sign of a short or a bad ground. Once I got it all back together it is now working. I hope it was just a loose connector and I didn't just jostle a bad wire or connection somewhere that is going to cause me to have to go through all this again.

pprather likes this.
  21. papajohn

papajohn

Love this thread. I am going to be rewiring my 60 Olds wagon soon and lots of great tips in here. I already bought a harness, but the fuse block is too big to mount in the stock location. Giving serious consideration to the Rebel 9+3 instead. Will that horn relay be heavy duty enough for those factory hi-low horns, or do I need to wire in the big old stock relay?

REBEL43 likes this.
  22. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It handles the big old horns in my '51 Ford just fine.

REBEL43 likes this.
  23. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

24. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call and ask for Jeremy.

Hombre and REBEL43 like this.
  25. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Called Jeremy and he answered immediately. Discussed the need for my project and made a purchase. Thanks to all.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hombre, slim38, REBEL43 and 1 other person like this.
  26. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

It's a 30/40 amp relay, should be good. 30 amp continuous/40 intermittent

27. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Good talking to you earlier. I get behind on the forums sometimes (all times, haha) I'm always building kits and doing tech. Answering questions on facebook right now. If you guys need something and I don't answer here, just call me at 423-263-5399 or email at [email protected]
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

Hombre and slim38 like this.
  28. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Thanks man, I appreciate you guys that answer some of this stuff from your experience. I'll take all the help I can get, haha

slim38 likes this.
  29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

OUTSTANDING Thread......

brokedownbiker and TagMan like this.
  30. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

I wired my 34 with a Rebel kit , was my first time wiring a car from scratch and I found it quite straight forward. Only problem I have is with my ignition light, the charging system is working ok but my light doesn’t go out. I was using a led and was told that I should use a normal bulb so I changed it and now it won,t light ??? I,m using one of those small Denso alternators.