Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SCAM Victor22

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fonspa, Oct 2, 2020.

1. fonspa

fonspa

I get one or two of these a year in response to my want ad. This thief didn't make much of an attempt to get it right. When I replied to the email they offered me Jeep wheels. I guess they couldn't find stock search engine photos of 39-42 Willys Sedan wheels OR this one is just plain stupid.

fonspa, Victor22 started a new personal conversation with you at The H.A.M.B..

STOCK 39-42, COUPE, SEDAN, AMERICAR, 16X3.5 OR 16X4, 5 LUG WILLYS WHEELS / RIMS
    If you can contact [email protected] he has STOCK 39-42, COUPE, SEDAN, AMERICAR, 16X3.5 OR 16X4, 5 for sale

2. Interesting that he has exactly what you need, word for word

lurker mick likes this.
  3. clearly if you were on here enough.. you would have seen the discussion regarding scams.. Just report them to a Mod first and boom they are banned from the sight.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  4. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beware of Groun33 also, uses the same gmail address, [email protected]! Had the same thing happen to me yesterday morning, just so happens that he has all the parts that I'm looking for! Checked Groun33's profile, joined 10-2-2020, Zero posts, Zero likes, Zero everything. What a Shitbag!

stillrunners and Moriarity like this.

5. Yeah, there are everywhere. I posted a Guitar on CL yesterday, with an almost immediate reply that "I will buy it" but reply to my private e-mail because I don't look at CL replies. No harm in doing that, so I did. Shortly after received another e-mail from "wife" saying that a "certified check" would be coming via FedEx and they would pick-up the guitar. Blah, Blah, Blah reasons. What pieces of crap...

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Got to agree with this. In fact, not saying you're a crook understand, but after viewing your profile and how few posts you have, if you were selling something, I would have to do further checking if it were a spendy item.
    I have a hot rodder friend I've known for about 55 years who does a lot of buying and selling who complains that he doesn't get much response to his ads when he places them on HAMB. I tell him that his tiny post record for other than classifieds ads is the reason.

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

This ^^^^^ I do refrain from buying from low post count sellers even if I really want the part. I finally put the old ignore tab on a guy from California. Wanted a couple of parts. Lowballs you and only wants to pay his way. No , no and no .

VANDENPLAS and dirty old man like this.
  8. again , did you report this person ? they will just try the same thing with others.. have them banned..
    It's just me , but the guys that just come to buy and sell and don't contribute anything useful . They aren't worth my time. They get the instant ignore ..

warbird1 likes this.
  9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@rob-redm has been a member for 15 years and has 5667 posts. That's more than what I would consider "just a few".

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  10. +
    Thanks, I think @dirtyoldman was speaking of fonspa ...

clem and dirty old man like this.
  11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Got one from Victor22 the other day... "reply to this email, he has what you want for sale"

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Hunt them down.

alanp561 and B Bay Barn like this.
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah...Makes me just want to keep all my junk.

But sometimes am surprised...

stillrunners and 41rodderz like this.
  14. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes I did report them, for exactly the reason you stated. Just wanted to put the name out there incase he got through to anyone else. When I got contacted by the Slimeball, we were in the middle of a server upgrade and things were kind of sketchy around here, with the website cutting in and out and all. Just trying to give a heads up, incase my report didn't go through in time.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  15. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty

Yep, same thing to me yesterday. I’m looking for a white grant style steering wheel with no dish.....he had one similar. Wanted too much money so I declined....glad I did

16. E4E4B11F-70D6-4A36-8C8D-DF5CD33DDDB5.jpeg I got burnt a few years ago on this site by a one time poster, greed and stupidity won and I lost ....... cause I was greedy and stupid!

ive been much more careful since then.

just sold my merc to a great guy in England that found me on facefuck marketplace.
    I thought it was a scam, turned out it wasn’t and it ended up being an easy transaction.
    Now I did speak to the man on the phone and the questions he asked and how he spoke , it definitely sounded like he was a car guy and asking the right questions.

I dunno in this age of inter webs you gotta do your own vetting and figure out what and who is right.its not the good old days where things where dine face to face and with a hand shake, although you still had dirt bags back then too !

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Truckdoctor Andy and bubba55 like this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I believe if you feel a twinge in your gut , trust your instincts .

stillrunners likes this.
  18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My comments were directed at fonspa, the OP of this thread,

alanp561 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. Tried to scam me yesterday, now as joh33, with the same e-mail. Profile showed joined 10-7-2020, zero everything. Immediately reported! Obviously this clown is determined. Beware....

427 sleeper and Nicholas Coe like this.
  20. Yep....not only this site.....answered a post of a reasonable priced trailer on FB Marketplace.....it's the same you just gots to be a little smarter to read between the lines - especially if it looks like a good deal !