Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HubbaHubbaSide3.jpg

:rolleyes:...Inspiration...;)

I think I have less downward curve from the center roof to the back...gotta get some shuteye...;)

Credit to All That Inspired This

2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

@Stogy thanks as always. The bobbed rear frame horns are awesome!!! I don’t know how I’d pull that off back there with the spreader/push bar. I really don’t want a smaller tank but it could be cut side to side to shorten it up. Not an original idea but a louvered rear belly pan may be in order. I sure would like to see the car and frame except the tank and rear horns in the green color.
    You did great on the quarter window. I think the back roof portion will end up looking less squared off then your pic.
    [​IMG]
    Yes my garage is a hell hole.
    As for Mr. Terry, thanks so much for everything including being here the whole time. I hope you and so many others may have a chance to take her for a spin someday. I wonder how shoddy she might run on a road course?
    I don’t see it as that altered from Henry’s original design much more than any other chopped car or custom. The bulk of what’s changing its appearance is in the chop. As for the main hulk of the body I don’t see it through 33-34 eyes. I keep focused on the crazy notion of it being a 32 1/2 Tudor. Maybe a Sport Sedan or Concept pre production car? Remember my first initiative for doing this is the belt line and door shape. If you recall I stated how I knew it was so similar to the 32 3w. I would have never done this project without that key ingredient. Again for everyone I’m trying to make a Tudor version of a 32 3w Coupe. I wanted a Sedan for the family and quite frankly could never afford a 3w. I even considered using 32 3w header and cowl. This was ruled out from expense and labor. I actually think the 34 header looks nicer anyways and it’s sleeker design lends to my Lakes progression.
    Although my front end should come down a little I think we’re looking as fast as Jerry’s 394 car only less mean. Especially once I get the roof right. I can’t compete with @chop nor would I.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now cutting off the Tudor section. Are they that much different to the bulk of the non-knowing? Imagine if they were in the same paint color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    chryslerfan55, brEad, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Sorry, also I worked long and hard on the radiator and hood before. The hood is only setting on there and has no lacing on the firewall or grill shell. That is not my Henry shell either and it doesn’t go on nearly as well as the OG. I’ve had the grill/hood/cowl line up quite well at times. I actually don’t want it perfect for that real race 40s vibe.
    I do really need someone’s left over peaked shell cutout to fix my grill shell and finish its repair. The Henry piece is so much more believable.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    chryslerfan55, brEad and Stogy like this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Just thinking about that body line today.

Not sure what I would do with the back end of the window but that’s your job I guess F6E3A367-80C6-43CA-AF2D-34F2A56FF87C.jpeg C4EB7FBB-6141-4584-821A-C1C323D1D7B3.jpeg

5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah @Tim, the roof still gets slid forward. I’m not ready for that yet. I’m not even working on the body.
    I will remove metal from the bottom of the top panel. Leaving a section where that window body line stuff curves down to fit where needed. The tops of the quarter panels above The beltline in back curve slightly forward not vertical.
    But you got it right there. The fat body line in the corner above the belt line gets cut and slid forward. Then a patch is put in the space left behind. I’m torn on what size to let the rear window be. I planned to move it down into the lower panels to limit the amount of chop and retain some visibility. Now a I worry it will just be a useless slot. I just got to put my “Buy War Bonds” waterslide decal on the glass.
    Either way it’s all gonna look so good.
    I bought 46 style window cranks with maroon knobs and ascutcheons to match my 40 shift handle knob. The 34 ones would just look too old I think with using the 46-48 garnish moldings. The chrome handles will look better with my column and stuff. Although I’m a nickel junkie. Still looking at matching inner door handles. The 35s I bought before just aren’t doing it.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Tim like this.
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Started making another pair of bearing cover plates for the back of the blower. Turns out the aftermarket mag piece has a wider bolt spacing.
    [​IMG]
    It’s alright I guess. I got the new ones much more round and way closer to matching the mag plate.
    The seat Canvas showed up today and I’m very happy with the color and it’s just what I needed. Unfortunately they only sent me 1 yard of the 2 I purchased.
    Got two 46 original inner door handles coming.
    Also curious about this NOS oil filler breather I have. I dig it but worry it would not look era correct.
    [​IMG]
    I’ve been looking for a chrome tube to use in the new shiny pump stand. If I use this breather I could paint the tube a matching silver hammertone no?

chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your Fabrication and Finish are very admirable. I like 'Broken In' myself aka Used but Loved and the odd battlescar ( I have a near boulder/Marble sized ding in my Proudly owned Walker Rad...they are only showroom till you drive them and 1946 was many moons from 1932.5...

You'd have to visit the Original manuals and Hotrod Mags or some of these fellas saw it...I can only dream and research its your paint and details are very well thought out regardless of minor plausible discrepancies...any paint available could have covered a Hotrod Engine

I'm working on an Update...I think This Hotrod has real Good Karma for You. It Will be your Torch for Your Son or Whoever you Choose...Many moons after you've had a Lifetime of Fun With it...;)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Four fresh little reinforcement brackets out of scrap. They’ll get tacked in after I get the holes centered. It dawned on me that the latches get the most of ones body weight. If they were to bend inward they could put the release rod in a bind or maybe even cause themselves to unlatch. I wanted to also strengthen the hole in the thin side material that more so gets all the weight first on two 1/2” bolts. I had room for a washer and thought why not combine the two dilemmas with one solution. Is they’re a online degree for backyard engineering?

9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Could you use some sort of a rubber bumper under another part of the seat to help bear some of the weight and keep the latches from rattling?

10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yes, just like a door, give it a little preload? The strikers fit very well and I suspect it would only be an empty seat that would rattle. Weather anyone could hear it over the straight empty 36 driveshaft tubes and blown Flatty with no substantial interior? Dunno.
    I know it’s been a long process and most probably don’t care about building some weird two-off seats. I can’t wait to show you all the finished pieces. I etch-primed one today on the inside surface and it’s really starting to look the part maybe more than I envisioned. I got the pins for the front mounts and clear red plastic covered braided steel cable for the pull clips. I’m painting the pins red and making egg shaped washers for the pins to go through the main fat part and the cable through a hole in the small end with a little bend in it away from the seat bracket. I’ll tack these washers on the insides of the front seat brackets. When you pull the clips and pins you won’t loose everything. Does that make sense?
    They’re sending me another 2 yards of fabric. I may have enough to make map pouches for each door if it doesn’t cross the “too much” line. Although this car passed the subdued simple stupid line a long time ago. It’s become quite obnoxious. If it’s any consolation I do think long and hard on this stuff, I listen to everyone’s input, change my mind some, and I even admit I’m wrong a little. It’s funny the car has changed so much on what I think are it’s neat parts. I’m more into the seats, making the louvered copper roof insert, carb base plate, and intake manifold than the dash, Winterfront grill, frame, or the whole body for that matter.

11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Well I think it's cool. And seat design is more fun than sanding.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  12. You have come a long way grasshopper!

Stogy, Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

@Tim can you believe how long it’s been since you did this awesome image?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks man I appreciate and respect your artistry.

ct1932ford, Tim, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    I think the 40s handles will blend in nicely with a little attention to any brand new pieces. I have another chrome door handle on the way to swap out the nickel one.
    I still need two more escutcheons for the quarter windows and may replace a couple knobs to get a better balance of the oxblood stuff. I was super excited to get the ones for the door handles. I think those are 37ish? They don’t look so red here in natural light. I love how the window crank knobs have passingly the same shape and color that the 40 shift knob has. It may seem strange to some that I would bother on doors with out interior panels.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Tim, Stogy, simplestone and 4 others like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HubbaHubbaSideFall2020.JPG

Inspiration...Fall Flora & Hotrod...

Hope this finds everyone Dodging Bugs and Enjoying the Fall Splendor...;)

Credit to All That Inspired This

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks Steve! You’re really getting it now. Although it might look better with a more believable background. Like ripping down the red tinted asphalt of the 401 past London and Woodstock on my way to Kitchener or Brampton. Maybe pulling off the QEW to swing into Timmy’s

All nods inspired my time hauling steel coils into Ontario and remembering such beautiful fall season landscapes.

chryslerfan55, ct1932ford and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your welcome Shine...;)...It is interesting the splicing and dicing in Photoshop is very much in essence the same as one achieving the same in metal...no smoke or fire of course but certainly a challenge...your vision is one of a kind and worth every mod to get there...Go Runnin Go!!!

It is a splendid Fall this year...and to think I could have had a coffee with you a while back while you delivered the goods to Kitchener or Brampton...small world sometimes eh...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man it has been a while, time goes quick

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Runnin shine, that modded Cowl does make for a long attractive Fwd Cowl, Hood and Grille...well suited to pierce the salty flat atmosphere targeting 120mph...

I think the absence of metal missing in strategic locations is failing to highlight what we see when filled in...thoughts?

This is dropped about 1.5 or so down up front...toned down upper lick...I like it and I dressed a vintage helmet...it's on your Spirit in the Hubba Inspiration just above...;)

You have a cool Hotrod evolving

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Nicholas Coe and loudbang like this.
  21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I’ve noticed this in all the side views you’ve done off that driveway pic. I thought someone would mention it. It’s just some allusion from where I most have been standing. The cowl is exactly 32 length on top and at the belt line. Down by the door corner it is less. The 34 door front edge has more angle than a 32 3w. So even if I didn’t lean the A-pillars back it would still look faster than a stock 32. Now it looks almost fast.
    I haven’t touched the car in over a week. All four of the fam is sick. I had been working the kids through the online schoolin. It honestly is a nightmare. Now we’re behind a week.
    I also got screwed on the blower crank hub so now I have to sort that out.
    Thanks for all your work it is an inspiration. I hope to have her at the HillClimb and maybe even the salt in 2022 for sure or 22,23,24?
    This last time I got rolling again made a promise that I wouldn’t get sidetracked anymore until it is done this time. No more motorcycles, drums, new guitar builds or cool 40’s-60’s amp builds either.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It may seem extreme but I haven’t picked up a guitar or plugged in an amp since I put focus back on the Hubb.
    I have a very hard time with time management. Mostly I can’t stop my mind from thinking up creations. I clearly struggle with the hard dragging out labor. I’m “working” on it though.

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’m aiming for a return to the hill for 2022 as well! Maybe it’ll be a convoy :)

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

With the A, the 46, or both?

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Maybe the 46. It’s a long drive with the whole family in the car even in a new car lol.

the A has a ways to go, my goal is to drive it before it’s 100 years old.

brEad, Stogy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I certainly understand the distractions. I am as scatterbrained as anyone. I am currently driving myself nuts with a bathroom Reno, truck floor pans, filling and sanding and scrounging parts for a pre war style banger T and maybe a 60's style C cab.....
    I am my own worst enemy.
    Hang in there you will get it!

brEad, Stogy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh and yeah of course, my list of shit to get done and thus distract me between the cars, House, yard, kids, work is enough to write at least a country song or two lol

you're no where near alone

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Getting sick at a time like this could be a more worrisome situation...my thoughts are with you and the family that it's just a common nuisance illness...

May you all get through with minimal issues...

chryslerfan55, brEad and Tim like this.
  28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

We all just tested negative but will be on a heightened level of safety until we think our immune systems have reset.

I wanted to say how the lower front does make it look better. I worry it makes it look homogenized like today’s exaggerated rubber rake. It’s a matter of upmost importance we have as little cracks in the 46-48 skin as possible. I also think I prefer it without the licks on the roof. It may be playing it safe but it is at risk of looking to busy. I love the one along the rocker and frame the most. With some tiny tweaking to the one below the door handle and maybe just one or two on each hood top could be enough. Mostly it looks rather wicked in my summation of a critique.
    [​IMG]
    It doesn’t look like it’s shaved much in these renderings. Maybe the you made my head too small
    I could chop it some more if anyone thinks it’s not in competition for baddest Tudor? Lol

One day Hubba Hubba you’re gonna be famous!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Might add a third side sclame(Tm) between those two that is about the same as the higher one?

that little bit of rake looks good and not exaggerated at all to me.

what’s the 46-8 skin your talking about? I think I missed that

Stogy likes this.