Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Grille Rust Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barbarian, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Today I just scored this 32 commercial grille for a deal I couldn’t pass up. Very solid, only a few small pin holes toward the bottom, missing the splash guard. Grille was hanging in a cement factory in PA for the past 40yrs. I don’t want to paint it, debating leaving it exactly as is or just trying to mildly knock off some of the surface rust to smooth it out. Read about using CLR, white vinegar and a light brush, paper towels soaked in lemon juice, light scotch bright sanding, etc etc. What are the best options? If I don’t have any without risking messing this piece up, I’ll leave it as is.

Attached Files:

2. Well done, I'd leave it alone myself at least until I decided where and how I was going to use it.

3. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Plan is to run it on my 31 roadster project

4. clem

clem

All of the things you suggest will tidy up some of the rust or kill it. Also search molasses on here.
    Clr is probably going to achieve best what you want, from what you say.
    Search some of those on here and compare before and after pics to see what is closest to your desired finished product.

If you don’t want to stuff it up, - (your words) - sand it down or carefully sand blast it, treat the rust and paint it !
    (and yes I did read that you don’t wish to paint it).

5. 5window

5window

Nice find. I had a '32 commercial grill on my '31 and found it to be a bit too "bulky" for the look I wanted. You, of course, might have a different situation, but you might want to test fit it and stand back before you get too involved. If you do use it, keep us posted on what works, or doesn't. Best.

6. Fordors

Fordors

B85E2F8D-B09C-4019-B430-A63D16BC59F6.jpeg 5D2BF528-8A7A-473E-9CD3-D6F55A50A962.jpeg

Robert Stack had one on his ‘31 highboy Roadster, I think it looked good.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Reverse electrolysis can be a very good friend!

8. inthweedz

inthweedz

Ok, these pics are of a rusty ''cast iron'' (not panel steel) Japanese lantern thingy, before and after soaking in white vinegar for a few days, then a quick scrub with a brush.. I have used it on rusty totally seized steel tools that I've found, and they came out just as good.. DSC_5139.JPG DSC_5294 (2).JPG

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  9. j hansen

j hansen

Or citric acid. IMG_8606.jpeg IMG_8608.jpeg

10. clem

clem

11. vickckik

vickckik

I just completed a rust removal project. White vinegar worked well on surface rust and on pitted areas. A couple of nylon scrub brushes cleaned up the items with no damage. I think vinegar is the least likely to cause you to 'overdo' the process. I rinsed off my project and put it back in the same vinegar one time and it worked just fine for the second dip.

12. Be sure to plan for the radiator neck to be further forward than the Model A. You might consider a dummy cap and the radiator filler under the hood.

Charlie Stephens