Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What's your least favorite hamb friendly car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Feb 18, 2017.

1. jimmy959

jimmy959

This'll make me popular here............model A roadsters.

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  2. sololobo

sololobo

I love all of them, I can find some good in the ones considered the ugliest. Just how I roll. Sicko, I am sure. sololobo

Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Without being on the bad list for those that have a 1932 Ford, it is one model that I once wanted, tried saving enough money to buy one called a Vicky sedan with its unusual rear section. It was costly, compared to other hot rods and no one around in our teens had that kind of money to drive one, let alone put in a SBC, LaSalle stick and Chevy rear for the cool hot rod. They were unreachable for us. So, that left a bad taste in our lives.

Over the years of enjoying driving our hot rod sedans and coupes, the 32 never came into the picture. Several 40 Ford sedans, a 34 Ford coupe, a kid driving a sedan delivery and lots of Chevy sedans for daily drivers. The only 32 Ford anything was those that we saw at car shows in the Municipal Auditorium in Long Beach. (besides the 32 Phaeton from Pomona “WHICH DEUCE IS YOUR FAVORITE?”)

So for some reason, the 32 was put on a pedestal and just about everyone was ga-ga over owning one. The top 1932 hot rods had the best of the best on the suspension and motor driveline. So that made others want similar set ups in their 32 somethings. But for us, it was still way down the list of any car we would like to own.

Jump up into the 20 something years and now the 32 had taken a ground hold on the hot rod community. Those that had 32’s were spiffy and looked like show cars. The LA Roadsters had all of the marbles in the pot, is what it seemed like in So Cal. There was no way a teen or twenty something was going to be able to build one like those in the roadster club.

Jnaki

Then as the other makes and models started their climb in the rebuilds and hot rod looks, they began to take the ideas and apply them to Model A coupes and sedans, trucks and sedan deliveries. That made a huge dent in “the special 32 club.” Throw in some model Ts and other brands of hot rods and now the community was diversifying away from the 32 Fords.

The designs of other year Fords also had a bigger following due to the fact that factory streamlining played an important part of the custom look. The cars no longer looked like an upright block being pushed down the street, but the grilles sweeping back, the fenders streamlining and overall look was not just for the boxy 32 cars and trucks. But, still there is the group that are hard core 32 people and it will probably never change.

For all of us, time moved on and the 32 is no longer the epitome of hot rod building. Someone might say look at old hot rod photos and the 32 played a huge part of the early beginnings. But, so did the Model A roadsters and coupes. So did the later Ford and Chevy line of cars that became the near center of hot rods for daily driving to work and school, as well as moving into the custom car look.

4. I like 'em all, but you see what I drive. ;)

5. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

T-buckets are tragically comical and ugly, I do realize that I may be the only one who thinks this way.

X38, dan31, Tomincanada and 6 others like this.
  6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I pretty much like all cars..

Cosmo49 likes this.
  7. jerry7702

jerry7702
    from fla

v butt glass and fake spotlights

8. Pretty much every car that isn't a pre-war Willys is on my ho-hum list.

9. I like more obscure stuff, I have always said if I wasn’t a Mopar guy I would be an AMC guy....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Ned Ludd, dan31 and alanp561 like this.
  10. I was doing hot rods in the '50's. A hot rod was a pre war coupe or roadster with a hopped up engine. A Hamb friendly '58 Rambler wagon was not and is not a hot rod even with a blown hemi. My least favorite Hamb friendly car is anything that's not a hot rod.

X38 and Cosmo49 like this.
  11. Terrible80

Terrible80

There isn't any body style I don't like, that someone hasn't made into a neat ride.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am partial to anything 1935 and newer hamb friendly . I have had older but they never grabbed me by the b_____

13. I'm a pre war Willys guy so technically all other cars look good, except early 50's stuff. :cool: JW

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  14. I'm not usually a fan of T-buckets (especially with steamroller rear tires) nor tubs.

Cosmo49, SlamIam and chopped like this.
  15. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Early 60's mopar styling always seemed like they used up their budget in engineering, had nothing left for styling. Especially the Dart/Valiant. That said I have seen many done that I would be proud to have in my garage, especially those done as race cars. Never was a fan of the first gen mustangs though.

SlamIam and 59Apachegail like this.
  16. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

The 60s darts:
    D682B6A0-2046-4DAF-9509-D4C6552B8E00.jpeg
    There are some others too.

*However I really liked the later 60s version

MO54Frank likes this.
  17. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I'm not too picky. I drove a 61 Dodge Seneca daily for a while. Pretty much everyone considers those 'ugly'. I loved it. I even like the late '40s early '50s Mopars that everyone badmouths. I'm building a '63 Dodge 880 four door sedan right now.....I just have a thing for the ugly oddball Mopar stuff. lol

Ned Ludd, dan31 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  18. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

What is HAMB friendly? To me, it's not just '64 and older. It's '64 and older that were actually rodded and customized back in the day. That leaves out most 4 doors and ugly cars automatically. If they were too ugly or unpopular to do then, they're not really HAMB material, in my twisted mind.

Gary

X38, bchctybob, 40FORDPU and 2 others like this.
  19. 5window

5window

Well, part of the problem now is supply and demand and 4 doors and cars you might consider ugly are likely to be what is affordable. Ugly, like beauty, may be in the eye of the beholder. Keep in mind that what was rodded in the time we want to emulate was often chosen because it was cheap and in good supply-and that meant Fords and Chevies.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  20. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Yeh, no comment on this post. Looks like a good way to stir it up for no good reason. A thread on favorite cars would be much better than picking on someone’s ride and possible lifelong passion. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Cosmo49 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. Anything NON- Ford, Lincoln Mercury! I’m Prejudiced & Narrow Minded! 3rd Genersation Bigot & 5th Generation TEXAN, Since 1833. 10th Generation American Since 1734. Son of a FoMoCo Employee @ The Dallas, Tx. Assembly’s Plant From 1948 till 1971 Ford Models. 15 Ford Projects & Counting! My Friends Say, I never Married, Cause it’s Illegal to get Married to Twins! BigDTexasKid

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. v8flat44

v8flat44

Well, i'll probably get hate mail, but i do not care for.....57 Chevys. The 55/56 cars are much better looking to me. As a Ford guy though, i lkie em all....just not the 57.....i like 58 Chevys & i know folks who hate them......my 2+2 cents or nonsense

dan31 likes this.
  23. 5window

5window

I think the '55 was the best of the Trifives for looks. Not crazy about the '58s but I loved the fins on the '60.

24. Yup, gotta agree - this thread is in poor taste.

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  25. 6sally6

6sally6

You gotta admit those 63 Dodges (especially the butt-ugly grill) was pure-Dee ugly!! Wheeew!
    Hot damn they were fast though!!
    Maybe because they were soooo ugly they HAD to out run the other cars or.......they had to be fast to get away from those "brilliant" Chrysler design guys before they throwed even more ugly stuff on 'em!! Who knows?!
    6sally6

26. At least five "dislikes" for T buckets, but whose owners love them, and have as much fun with them as any other hot rodder! Seriously guys, seems like there are "haters" for pretty much every car ever built. (I call my car a "roadster", by the way, and it's been the most fun of any car I've ever had...)

Ned Ludd and Country Joe like this.
  27. Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  28. My personal least favorites are COE trucks and ton or larger commercial vehicles......just not hot rod or custom material in my learned and opinionated mind.:rolleyes:

bchctybob likes this.
  29. Crocodile

Crocodile

Rat rods, in the current sense. I think that the term was originally coined by Baskerville, referring to a hot rod built without finishing out the body. THAT, I liked.
    Nowadays, it means an unsafe shitpile on the road.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  30. 1957 Chevrolets, any of them. I had one that hated me.