Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods ROLLINGS BONES does it again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glrbird, Oct 1, 2020.

1. adam401

adam401

Hot rods that dont follow the usual formula can certainly be polarizing. Makes me think of cars like the Super Bell coupe. You either like it or you don't.

cactus1 and R A Wrench like this.
  2. A Boner

A Boner

Super cool...the 34 Hot Rod coupe, Dennis Varni, the Rolling Bones...all top tier!

3. Well since this has turned into an opinion thread I will espouse my own.
    Its fine if that is the style you like. There are many styles of hot rods. They can't all please everyone. As long as the owner likes it, its perfect. Personally, its not my style. Nice car, but not one I would want.

5window likes this.
  4. saltracer219

saltracer219

Dennis is a great guy and a real hard core Hot Rodder. I first met him at Bonneville, I believe we both got into the Bonneville "spin out" club at the same meet.

HEMI32, Ranchero59 and pprather like this.
  5. AHotRod

AHotRod

It's a Hot Rod, and I Love Hot Rods!

6. fortynut

fortynut

I wonder if there is going to be a run on Packard grills like there always seems to be after something used in a different context, in this case these grills historically used on'customs', shows up solving a problem

7. fortynut

fortynut

I wonder if there is going to be a run on Packard grills like there always seems to be after something is used in a different context, (in this case these grills being historically used on 'customs'), shows up solving another problem? This already has been the case with 'Deuce' grills, '37 Pickup Grills, ad nauseam. Shop built stuff is in some respects counter intuitive to this site that has more individuals working toward resurrecting au correct owner built hot rods than it is a forum for the artiste and his patron, though in many respects some of those on here who have breathed the odor of rat piss should take notice of the fit and finish of what their fellow HAMBers are falling all over themselves admiring. Looks do count. A lot of attention to detail goes into a car like this one, with a nice price tag I bet. It appears we are going through a cycle where shop built products get most of the attention in the auto media. And, certainly on first blush they are the benchmark of the cars I grew up thinking were full tits and front and center. However, most of those back then were built in one car garages and planned to the nines like the Great Train Robbery. One given, is that when nothing is left to chance, you arrive at a destination with all those looking on dazzled. I give this effort five stars, even though it is shop built. Keep in mind that I have voiced my opinion elsewhere about some of the engineering choices Rolling Bones makes and are being copied by others. But, when something looks this well done, I like to give credit where credit is due. A new look that will certainly influence all of us.

WalkerMD and thintin like this.
  8. 5window

5window

Okay, I have removed all of my previous posts on this thread. It was not my intent to denigrate Mr. Varni or the obvious talent and craftsmanship of Rolling Bones. I am sorry if that was inferred.

However, when you put a creation out before the public, you open yourself up for criticism as well as accolades. In that case, I don't like skulls on cars, I think that an overabundance of holes and louvers detract rather than enhance a look and I prefer cars that are not totally constructed by a professional shop. That seems to me to be the antithesis of a traditionally built hot rod

These are merely my own opinions and matter not in the end since this is not my car. Yours, I hope, will differ and rightfully so.

woodsnwater likes this.
  9. the cowl steering thing is interesting, if I remember correctly there was a rather long give and take thread concerning cowl steering with the initial discussion essentially damning the concept to the depths of hell. This ,of course was followed by conjecture from proponents of and (I assume) users of cowl steering. This is what generates good thread discussion and is valuable for what it is. That thread was invoked as gospel over the following months every fucking time some home builder/enthusiast shared photos of their creation as; eeenh!!! see Eastwood's thread about cowl steering"......Yer fucking doomed with yer cowl steering!!!!....that thread seez so!!!blah, blah..... pro built car appears to be a different story.....nary a peep from the worship police. Always amusing here, always amusing.

boutlaw, 5window and woodsnwater like this.