Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where do you hide your emergency entry cables? Shaved handles and trunks

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Roothawg, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yeah, no key fobs for me, just buttons and relays

54delray likes this.
  2. I like the look of old chrome door handles myself :D

2bubbas likes this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My hood release is under the dash---factory location. If you couldn't open the doors due to a dead battery, you couldn't get under the hood without some glass breakage. I'll stick with my stock pushbuttons on the doors, most folks don't know how to open the doors anyway, and mine don't lock, either. Don't have a key, and the lock mechanism was taken off the drivers side latch, probably for that reason.

Trunk latch is same way, lock mechanism is gone. I do plan on an inside electric popper for it when I change the latch, with a safety cable inside the gas door in the fender.

4. spanners

spanners

I'm with you regarding exterior handles. I've always felt that a car with shaved handles looks like someone forgot to put them back on after painting. Just my opinion.

seb fontana and 2bubbas like this.
  5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

seb fontana likes this.
  6. I have welded nuts on the trunk striker with the bolts accessible under the car.

Haven't addressed a door release yet; but this brings up another question.

How are you guys operating your door solenoids?

Hidden buttons, prox switches, pin (thru a small hole) switches, radio remote (what brands)?

54delray likes this.
  7. indyjps

indyjps

If you use bicycle cable, you could use the end of a bicycle brake lever, it has the correct cable end attachment already. Would need other modifications etc, but its a start.
    Order the cable online by the foot, local shops upcharge it by about 500%.

seb fontana likes this.
  8. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

I can't recall if they were in Hot Rod magazine, or in Pat Ganahl's return of Rod & Custom in the late '80's, but there would be few pages of 'hacks' or tips or ideas from readers, all individually hand illustrated, to show how-to ... One I recall was hiding a trunk release handle in the door jamb on the body of the car.

Using the same principle as frenching an antenna vertically into a fender top with a piece of pipe, the trunk release cable would be accessed by opening the car door. In this case, the pipe is frenched horizontally, low on the body, inside the door jamb so as not to interfere with rear window mechanism. The T handle or D ring is pulled to activate the trunk latch, the cable running up over the wheelwell inside the quarter panel.

Wish I could find the illustration ... a pic is worth a thousand words

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020