Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can we talk flathead drag racing engine builds please?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adam401, Oct 1, 2020.

1. adam401

adam401

Hi guys. I'm thinking about my next engine and id like to spitball some ideas here. Id like to talk flathead performance. Not street driveability but more weekend track use but on a budget. An engine to be used at vintage drag events by a blue collar guy. Here are my specific but novice questions
    1. Starting Point. A late engine is more stock horsepower but does the 59ab platform offer more in the way of speed equipment and machine work potential? Does that really matter?
    2. Blown, stroker, punch out the cylinders to the max? What's the right course for a guy that wants to improve over time with a budget but still willing to spend?
    I know there are guys that have taken the flathead to its potential. Thats the information Im after. Im not even sure I'm asking the right questions. This is a humble request for guidance. My situation:
    1934 5 window
    8ba set back 2.5"
    3spd ford
    40 Ford rear
    I want to competitively vintage drag race this vehicle. Thanks in advance guys. I'm ready to soak the knowledge haha.

2. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Start by picking a class. Get a rule book , to see some restrictions and rules. Maybe someone running an flathead will help

adam401 and flatford39 like this.
  3. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Better stock up on transmissions and axles. Also, I don't think the words flathead racing engine and budget go together anymore. Maybe 55 years ago when you could buy flatheads and the speed equipment cheap.

31hotrodguy and adam401 like this.
  4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Like Roger said, What is your Goal???

Flathead race motors can be anything you want, as long as you have the cash. Cheap per amount of power produced is one thing they are not.

Things I would be looking into for a bracket motor:

Crank Girdle: You only have 3 main bearings. More support becomes a requirement on higher horsepower / rpm applications.
    Forced Induction: Not much chance of getting over 300 hp without it. Watch the exhaust side flow restrictions.
    Fuel Type: Gasoline is easy, Alcohol makes more power, and Nitro gets really expensive.... Fuel type will determine many other factors of the build.

This is the current God Father of all flathead drag motors, and is the quickest. Rick Snell's Slider. When I took this photo in 2010, He was running deep into the 7's on a 50/50 Nitro load. Notice the black bracket on the forward corner of the cylinder head. The block had split (despite being filled with aluminum) and that was what was holding it together. It would shit the head gasket out that corner every other run. Definitely not a budget friendly machine to campaign. Rick replaced that motor shortly there after with another running a 60% Nitro load that was approaching 4 digit horsepower levels.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    31hotrodguy and adam401 like this.

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

If you are going to run it blown, don't bore it any more than you have to. You will need all of the cylinder wall you can get.

adam401 likes this.
  6. adam401

adam401

Thankyou for all the replies. Alot to think about.

7. oldsman41

oldsman41

Building a flatty isn’t cheap a lot of money for a little horsepower.

adam401 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  8. adam401

adam401

True enough but I love playing with them and I love that flathead sound.

9. oldsman41

oldsman41

Oh yeah the sound is great I own a 51 merc still running a flatty

10. 34Phil

34Phil

11. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

If you’re bracket racing it’s all about consistency, not speed.

Find a class you like and focus on your driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. with running it in a full size car, unless it is seriously gutted, you will get the disease of wanting to go faster,
    You send gobs of money making it a few seconds faster, but you are still no getting the speed thrill.
    Put it in a dragster chassis and you will gt your speed thrills. Tow it with your 34. Start with 3-4 carbs until you get it sorted out. Then switch fuels, then try a little nitro, after that add a blower and retune. 2X^ your are only working with 200-300 HP.......

adam401 likes this.