Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Putting the Beast back together

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ford52PU, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

I made a terrible mistake back in 2014. I took my 52 Ford F1 apart to do some "simple" repairs and a quick paintjob. It had been painted with Rustoleum and a brush. Window screen seemed to standard issue to hold bondo in place. I'm no bodyman but I know the less filler the better. Three of more spools of mig wire later and most if not all of the previous bad repairs are now replaced with newer bad repairs.
    117.JPG
    The bed was a mess, it had a full sheet of plywood cut in half with a spacer in the middle to fill the cavity. It was rotted beyond saving and both sides of the bed was rusted away. Thought about buying a new bed kit but the price scared me away. I was able to get most of what I needed and made what I couldnt find. I made a cart for the bed and bolted it down and did what I could to improve things.
    042.JPG

I sprayed it with primer back in the fall of 2105 which is the condition it stayed until August of this year.
    I went over the entire truck with 400 grit paper and wiped it all down with prep. Found that both rear fenders needed more repair but finally in September I decided to paint it and put it back together and at least be able to drive it again. Took a week off of work, got some paint from Eastwood, Urethane Pin-Up Red. Got my HF HPLV sprayer out and the paint gods be damned.
    IMG_4909.jpg
    IMG_4918.jpg
    IMG_4914.jpg
    So I have to still put the rear fenders back on, fix the PS running board, mount the front grille and both bumpers but its closer now than its been in years. The paint has more Orange peel than the state of Florida. IMG_4937.jpg But I'm happy with it. Just wanted to share with you all.

Attached Files:

scotty t, Sky Six, wraymen and 8 others like this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

Pin-Up Red, great color. You can always wet sand and buff when you're not driving it!

VANDENPLAS and Ford52PU like this.
  3. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Yes I figure I'll be doing a lot of wet sanding and buffing. My old flabby arms can use some toning up anyway.

scotty t, wraymen and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. Slopok

Slopok

I'm sure you've heard the phrase " That'll buff out"!

Ford52PU and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. Hey get in it and drive!
    Progress is progress
    Keep going and have fun !!

Ford52PU likes this.
  6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good! Now get er driving so you can enjoy it!

Ford52PU likes this.
  7. wulf powis

wulf powis

I like it, I used 2x6 fir for the bed, a lot stronger for utility, and sealed it with varathane. also a lot cheaper and stronger than the pre order kits out of 1/2 inch oak !! That's how you learn new skills, if you don't like the results do it better next time. the more time you put work into it the more you love it. Go for it. this what mine started as, only got better s-l1600IZ1YIO70.jpg

VANDENPLAS and Ford52PU like this.
  8. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

It's sealed for now. Finish the reassembly and put some miles on it again. Find the things you like, and things you don't like. Address the ones you don't like. Work on it in small chunks. Much more fun than being down for paint for 6 years.

Devin

Ford52PU likes this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

Can relate only too well. Perfection is so overrated.

10. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

I've been slowly putting things back together. Ive gotten the running boards, rear fenders, tailgate and rear bumper back on. Need to get the front grille and front bumper back on. Sure would like to drive it a bit before the weather get's worse
    . IMG_5055.jpg IMG_5012.jpg

waxhead likes this.
  11. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

IMG_5139.jpg IMG_5140.jpg IMG_5141.jpg IMG_5144.jpg Still at it. Never enough garage time. Got the front end back together. Hopefully over the weekend I can take it out for a road test.

Nikkerton, waxhead and scotty t like this.