Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on Rocky's 34 coupe..last update 9/30/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ouch! Dang man that’s no fun

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ooops, the upside is, it didn´t lock up on you, that could have been nasty!

3. alchemy

alchemy

Probably not waranteed since you drag raced it at Mokan. You musta left all the bolts finger tight. Try using tighter fingers.

31hotrodguy, Stogy, Dan Hay and 3 others like this.
  4. It ate its self

31hotrodguy, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Better get some Loctite for the new pieces-parts.

31hotrodguy, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  6. Yeah, red loctite will be applied to the bolts in the new posi. With the straight cut spur gears there are ungodly vibrations and harmonics trying to unscrew all the bolts! Lesson learned.

Hamtown Al, Baumi, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oof, that's an ugly picture @Rocky ! The car looks great with the new wheels though!

loudbang and Stogy like this.

8. Yeah, thanks, Jeff. I'll send my fingers in to snap-on to be re calibrated.

Max Gearhead, Hamtown Al, OFT and 4 others like this.
  9. Got the rear axle all together and jammed back under the car again this afternoon. It now has a Detroit Locker carrier with new 4.11 ring and pinion, replacing the old 4.86's. I drove out of my driveway and around the neighborhood for awhile, turning right and left. Then out on the hiway. Man! It;s a lot quieter now. I think the old setup slowly got progressively noisier so I didn't notice it was....too noisy. The locker kinda creeps me out. I was expecting the "click-click-click around corners but every once in awhile the thing will unload with a little lurch to one side. It's a nothin thing on dry pavement but I can't help but wonder how it's gonna be in the wet.
    All in all I like it!
    Photo is of my patented [TM] method of installing the main leaf of the rear spring first, then using a length of all-thread to stack the remainder of the leafs on the main leaf and tightening a nut down to compress all the leaves. I then use heavy C-clamps to hold it all together and remove the threaded rod and install the center bolt. Works every time.
    Sure is good to have my car back. Ran through a 1/2 tank of gas this evening 34qcrepair.jpg 34qcrepair2.jpg

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

4:11?’man talk about highway gears lol.

glad it/you are back on the road :)

11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

loudbang likes this.
  12. what gear oil did you use?

Dick Stevens and loudbang like this.
  13. I used 80/140 gear lube

loudbang likes this.
  14. Awesome news!

loudbang likes this.
  15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Grade 5 80/90W gear lube is recommended for use with a Detroit Locker and never use synthetic. I don't know if the heavier oil would cause that or not.

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Shit I’m using extra virgin olive oil. No wonder it sounds weird.

Smells good though lol

loudbang, 31hotrodguy and Just Gary like this.
  17. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy Crap! Lucky it didn't grenade on you!

loudbang likes this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

New shirt in the mail today made me think of you. AC2F64FF-21A2-4558-BC98-D26A582FC686.jpeg get word back on the show coming up? I’d love to see photos of you rolling with the Omaha crew down the road :)

rod1, guthriesmith and loudbang like this.
  19. Tim.... are you referring to the gathering at the ROC? I still can't make up my mind if I'm going or not. It's gonna be cold with no heater and no door glass or maybe we'll hit a warm spell?

Tim, OFT and loudbang like this.
  20. We have done that before. Of course I had my fleece union suit hidden under my street clothes

OFT and loudbang like this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I was referring to the ROC show, I’d seen you mention it earlier. Though it does look like the cold is going to set in early this year :S

loudbang likes this.
  22. January..........14 inches of snow predicted tonight and tomorrow. Do I care? Nah! I took my 34 over to my son's house and he carved out a spot in his garage-mahall to store the 34. I'll pick it up next April. 'Till then I'm thrashing on my 50 Pontiac coupe. Can't wait for good weather again!!!! It's sharing space with my kid's supercharged ZO-6 'vette and his twin turbo O/T 50 ford coupe 34sleeping.jpg

23. Hate to see them put to bed. I saw you guys were going to get hit. Almost no snow up here.

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  24. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Any pictures of the Pontiac thrashing?

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  25. While this is officially my 34 coupe thread, here's a sneak shot of the other coupe
    50pont12_2020.jpg 50pontenginesoaking12_2020.jpg 50pontiacdash12_2020.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    catdad49, Stogy, brEad and 5 others like this.
  26. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Is this one getting the same Poncho power as the 34?

loudbang likes this.
  27. OK, so here's the plan, Chris....The car only has 40'000 miles on it so I'm going to fire it up [have already cranked it up dribbling gas down the carb] and check the operation of engine/hydramatic trans and if they are good, I'll prolly keep them in the car 'till I have a nice 400 Pontiac built. Gotta buddy with one for $100. Then I'll have to make a choice about transmissions...prolly a 2004r or maybe a 700R4 but I have not ruled out an S-10 5 speed.

brEad, Shadow Creek, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hoodlums I tell ya!

29. Love cruisin with Rocky, plan on doing it again soon

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  30. Ahh, that was fun. Dunno if it was my computer or your camera but the first few minutes were jerky. Thanks, Tom!

Stogy, loudbang and Tman like this.