Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Boodlum

Boodlum

To my old eyes that looks like the Ford truck scoop used on 1963 Pontiac Super Duty 421 Tempest cars. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jimdillon

jimdillon

Boodlum is correct on the scoop. There were some knock offs that were similar as well. I am kind of partial to it as well and hopefully will run one before they throw me in the ground. Here is Wildebeast with a similar scoop.
    downloadfile-39.jpeg.jpg
    Skip Hess Indy 63 CMSP.jpg

3. elgringo71

elgringo71

Its a 56 that had an L88 Motor.

I believe that I have seen fiberglass replicas of the Pontiac Super Duty hood scoop for sale somewhere or maybe you could just bolt on a real one. It’s also commonly found on some big Ford Trucks of the era. Think Dump Truck or Fire Truck or something that size.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  4. VFN fiberglass has several sizes

5. here’s my old 60 with the hardtop off the 57 FFED9FE2-696D-4D5F-9194-5F876601AC7D.jpeg 37BADC49-2C86-4DED-ACDF-ACF92ADEBAD3.jpeg

6. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Scotty T - 5spokes an a black hard top! It’s like it was meant to be!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Jim, is that your car???

chryslerfan55, loudbang and enloe like this.
  8. jimdillon

jimdillon

Don't I wish. Here is the latest picture I took which was in August at the Woodward Dream Cruise IMG_0549-orig2.jpg

9. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

No that's a car known as Wildabeast.

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang, enloe and 2 others like this.
  10. Jim your car is beautiful and you know it!:D

11. So i’m just going throw this out to the vette crowd, i’m going to cut a hole in the 57 hood and install a scoop of some sort. Maybe a teardrop, maybe a 67 vette style or who knows? Junk hoods or already hacked hoods are pricey. I want a “power bulge”:D i’ll buy another if and when i change my mind. Convince me i’m wrong (or right):p

12. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

13. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Any high rise intake wont fit without it...

14. So true

15. vetrod62

vetrod62

I would say a teardrop would be perfect. Period correct. It may be hard to find. It took me 4 years to find mine. I do not know if any are made today, or are the correct size for your hood. Vic JR with ram air. Jim

upload_2020-9-30_23-1-31.png

upload_2020-9-30_23-0-33.png

rc57, Offset, chryslerfan55 and 14 others like this.
  16. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

17. vetrod62

vetrod62

I went from a dual plane to the Vic Jr and picked up 100+ hp and 2500 more rpms. I would not believed in a million years. Solid roller car rated 5500 to 7200. doing this 55 years. Crazy???

18. Lumpy 63 Pointed me towards a nice teardrop.

19. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Fun stuff!

It’s too bad you are all the way on the east coast.......then again with all the fun car stuff I see going on in the south and north east maybe it I That needs to move!!!

20. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Go for it!
    Confession time. I honestly don’t know if I could have cut a hole in mine. Sooo since it already had the scoop and hole it solves a lot of problems for me! Lol

Vetterod, I really dig the tear drop hood scoop!

21. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Jim your car is too bitch’n to have such a little pic! Adjustments.JPG
    Much better!

22. jimdillon

jimdillon

Scotty, I do like my car and it makes me smile every time I start it but if it came down to a trade with Wildebeast I may very well pull the trigger. I like all of the solid axle cars but 62s seem to be my favorite (although a 61 black with silver coves is hard to beat). Then again I see 58s I like and 60s and 57s, etc. A 62 Vette with some real history would be a pretty big deal to me.

I have seen Vetrod's 62 and it is even more impressive when you know how well it performs-the stinger looks the part for sure.

Vetrod and others know that these cars starve for air with the limited space under the hood. Guys used hood scoops for a reason back in the day. Cut the hood and let the next owner deal with the repair if he wants. The real fun with these cars is how they can put a smile on your face when you hit the throttle. The better the performance the bigger the smile I suppose.

23. Boodlum

Boodlum

An interesting possibility is the scoop/bulge used on the two 1966 Shelby 427 Super Snake Cobra cars (to clear the twin Paxton/McCullough superchargers). Copies are hard to find.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Jim
    Not really the same but witnessing it from the passenger seat is a close second!

31hotrodguy, scotty t and enloe like this.
  25. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug sometimes-sometimes not. I have told the story but one time with my buddy Tim and his 61 283/270 we ran a 67 427 Vette. I remember the ride quite well. Tim's car was super competitive and actually we were headed to Woodward in maybe 69. The car ran 12s at the time and we ran in the same class as Lombardo in Buckshot who ran the same combination running mid 12s. Tim's 61 was making a racket and this 67 Vette pulls up next to us on Schoolcraft which was a narrow four lane with curbs. The guy wanted to run Tim and Tim obliged although I never knew anyone to run on Schoolcraft-crazy in retrospect. Tim was running a 5.13 gear and would pull strong for awhile. Tim pulled him so bad for maybe an 1/8 mile and shut it down and the 67 guy was super pissed and wanted to run again. Tim just laughed and the guy wanted to know what Tim was running and Tim said something like "just a little 283" and the guy did not believe him. The ride though was scary from my vantage point in the passenger seat as the car seemed like it was an inch from the curb. Scared the you know what out of me. I have never been a good passenger if the truth be told anyways. I know your sentiment though.

26. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

@scotty t,
    If you can wait a day or two, I may be able to help you out. I made a mold from my '56 hood years ago. Subsequently, I made a very thin lightweight hood to put my snorkel scoop on. I may still have the mold stashed away, but can't look for it today.
    Corvette 2.jpg

27. loudbang

loudbang

hot17.jpg

posted by swi66 in the vintage thread

hot16 swi66.jpg

28. elgringo71

elgringo71

29. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

There use to be a local guy that ran a 56 Vette with a 65 Dodge Race Hemi style scoop on it, looked great and the guy had some great fabrication skills, I’ll see if I can find an old picture.
    [​IMG]

Always thought a Cobra style scoop would look good on one. [​IMG]

Also
    [​IMG]

Or build beyond the Scoop
    [​IMG]