Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bug Catcher Style Scoop Round 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61Bisquick, Sep 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 61Bisquick

61Bisquick

Ok, let's try this again so I can conform to the rules better. No pictures (thought they would help but instead hurt). No specific application information. Just straight technical question and answer session.

Will a naturally aspirated bug catcher style scoop (air collector) have any issues being partially obstructed by a hood i.e. half sticking out, half sunk in? Obviously, the common application is to have them fully out in the open which I prefer not to do in this instance, hence the question.

Thank you for your consideration.

2. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Your First thread was deleted ,
    I did not think Pic where Off topic .

Its yr car if you like it keep it!
    If it was me , I would keep it low in hood ,
    (@ butterfly shaft)
    You will have plenty of air Flow even with a 600 hp motor .
    I do not like a Mr Gasket looking Scoop /Hat .
    The looks of the linkage To carb or carbs Scoop/hat design. (80s street Rod will not fall out of tree )
    If in your Budget Use a real Enderle Bug hat.Make it "LOOK"
    Legit , (carb inside or bottom) ( I have Bug,Bird , Buzzard ,Barn, & Hillborns ) on tunnels & Blower.
    I would not park My Car with Hood up for show, thats Me !! Keep other Wondering !!
    Im a street racer .
    I have seen several 4 door car run 5:50-6.Os in 1/8

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    egads likes this.
  3. 61Bisquick

61Bisquick

I'm big enough to own the fact that the original post ruffled some feathers by not perfectly fitting the rules. This one is generic enough no one should take issue with it. Thanks for the reply.

4. It's not optimal for sucking in only cool air but it will be 50% better than an under the hood aircleaner.

5. In a vehicle with an enclosed engine compartment, most of the benefit of a scoop will come from directing cooler air into the carb from "outside" instead of ingesting the warmer air that has passed through the radiator and been in proximity to the toasty, honking big V8 and exhaust manifolds. If you "sink" the scoop and thus blend the air supply, well, that defeats the whole purpose. The concept works best if the supply of cool air is sealed off, eliminating the hotter air.
    The "cold air" system works pretty well in the summer but might not be a good idea in the worst of winter.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  6. [​IMG]
    Here ya go. Forget performance, look cool!
    @swade41 must be getting a new avatar ready....

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Deuces likes this.
  7. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Spacer that Tall will get scoop out of hood , but then you will Need a Healthy breathing set of heads & engine would be in 6,800rpm's & North to work Correctly /Efficient.. Thats $$ for SB & even more for a BB

chevy57dude likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.