Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 25 yr old brand new lifters.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Sep 30, 2020.

1. SBC lifters , perfect circle brand. Pristine boxes.
    Guy drops off a bunch of NOS engine parts and a block. Says please put this together.

The lifter’s plungers all stuck.
    I’m thinking they should not be trusted.
    What say you guys?

2. Wrench97

Wrench97

What were they packed in?
    Any chance there is a cosmoline like protectant stuck in them?

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

I'm wondering just how old the Perfect Circle lifters are? Pre-bad lifter era?
    For my own use, I would do as many have suggested here; Research the origin if possible then, 1. Check the working surface for proper crown. 2. Take them apart, inspect, clean and reassemble. 3. Install with Isky RevLube or equiv.
    For a paying customer; Advise him of the issues and allow him to decide whether to use them or not and get his decision in writing. If he says use 'em, refer to the steps above.

rollinlow&Slow and loudbang like this.
  4. Can’t get them apart because they are stuck, right.
    1995 vintage lol

5. Just in a dry box, with 16 individual boxes.
    Boxes were perfect, lifters looked perfect.

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Soak them a day or two and see if you get any movement.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Compressed air in the oil bleed hole, maybe?

51 BIRD likes this.
  8. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^^ Yep, or hit 'em with some carb cleaner and push.

51 BIRD likes this.
  9. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Soak them in diesel fuel or kerosene for a couple days.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

this^^^^^^^^^this

ekimneirbo and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. I have been so disappointed in "new" parts that I think I would rather fool with 25 year+ parts....probably less work.

12. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I have had a couple of brand new sets of roller lifters that the plungers seemed to be stuck solid to the point of when I tried to adjust the valves the valve opened before the plunger depressed. I talked to the manufacturer and they said that upon rolling the engine over they would probably be fine...I made up a small jig to hold the lifters and put them in my tiny arbor press and slowly squeezed .... all the lifters bled off the oil in them and functioned totally normal after .

Atwater Mike and ekimneirbo like this.
  13. Soak them in what you think will work, as has been said , diesel , atf, oil, roll them around in an old sardine can.

they are brand new clean and dry so “should” come back to life.

if this is for a paying customer, I would advise them of the addition cost in labour to attempt to free them up, wether it works or not, and it’s up to you how you would deal with any warranty on this job.

I do stuff like this at work all the time, replace motor brushes and stone the comm , or replace seals in a hydraulic cylinder on site or in the unit without a proper inspection, as either customer can not afford down time or is just cheap. Sometimes we win, sometimes we loose.
    But I alway put on my work order “no warranty“ as not a factory approved repair.

anyways, your smarter then the average bear. You’ll finger it out.

14. Budget36

Budget36

Doesn't that pretty much answer your question? ;)

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

Sad state we chased cheap parts supplyers went to China now we have junk parts.

tb33anda3rd and Wanderlust like this.
  16. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

The reason I suggested diesel fuel/kerosene for soaking instead of just some type of oil is that the fuel will help loosen and disolve whatever is causing the sticking and then can be quickly flushed with the residue pretty well going with it. Oil would seem to lubricate but not necessarily remove any rust. Thats just an opinion.........:p

17. Ultrasonic cleaner would be the cats ass. I would prob just use my standby laquer thinner

18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

To free up lifters I chuck up a pushrod in my drill press and set the lifter on the drill press table, with the retainer clip removed. By repeatedly pushing up and down on it, it will begin to move a little bit then more and more until it frees up.
    Once they are apart I clean the mating surfaces with 400 grit emery paper and solvent, and reassemble after lightly oiling them. This is with used lifters that get varnished up but it should work with new ones even easier.

fauj and ekimneirbo like this.
  19. I just bought new lifters.
    I did get a few of them to move down but they won’t come back up.