Register now to get rid of these ads!

Info about this custom? Carson Topped 1951 Mercury from Reno Hot August Nights 1992

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctor Detroit, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Does anybody know the whereabouts of this 1951 Mercury? I want to know more about it. Does anybody know who owned it in 1992, who built it, or where it is now? I would love more pictures of this car.

Many of you remember a particular car, most likely from your youth, that had a profound effect on you. You probably still think about that car. There's one car in particular I saw, in Reno at Hot August Nights in 1992 that was the car for me. I was 19 years old. The moment before it drove by, I was a muscle car guy. A moment later, as it drove by, I was transformed into a customs guy. That fast. I can still remember the sound of the engine. I didn't even know what I was looking at... Customs were something I was unaware of. It just so happened, when I saw this car.... I was videotaping... and I have that moment captured on videotape. When I got back to Detroit, I asked relatives to watch the videotape and tell me what kind of car it was. It was a four door, Carson-topped 1951 Mercury. It was painted an orange or peach color, with white scallops that faded to grey, with ribbed bumpers and a Desoto grille. From that moment I loved '51 Mercs. I bought a four door '51 a few months later, hoping to create my own custom.. that's another story. That Reno Merc is the reason I bought another '51 in 2011. Recently, I found that videotape, and took some screen shots.

Does anybody know the whereabouts of this 1951 Mercury? I want to know more about it. Does anybody know who owned it in 1992, who built it, or where it is now? I would love more pictures of this car. IMG_1076.JPG IMG_1073.JPG IMG_1074.JPG IMG_1077.JPG IMG_1075.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2024
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Bump for the weekend...

3. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

14 month bump...

4. I can't believe you stumped the HAMB . Maybe they can be shamed into remembering .:rolleyes:

5. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Ha! I think it just got overlooked.... Somebody knows something about this car.
    It was painted a pinkish/orange color. It's got to still be around.

6. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

This has long been forgotten... so I'm bumping it real quick. I wish somebody had info about this car.

7. kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. One key to identifying it is that the windshield looks to be layed WAY back.

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Looks like a David Lee Roth type inspired built car. Gene Winfield was building fiberglassed carson stlyled tops back then. 4-door versions were also available too. But this one appears to be a homemade version.

OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  10. I believe this merc is also been sectioned. Maybe 2" I want to say it was in a hotrod mag back in the late 80s.

11. Scott F.

Scott F.

This guy has been waiting 4 years for an answer. Come on, help him out. Wish I knew more. All I can do is bump your thread though.

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

no help here.... bump

13. Wow, this one has me stumped. I can't recall ever seeing this sled before. Sorry I can't be more help.
    On a good note, glad that seeing this Merc made a custom convert out of you @Doctor Detroit! E

Sancho and stanlow69 like this.
  14. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Wow, it's cool to see this picking up some momentum. A few good notes about the windshield being laid back, and possibly being sectioned. I always assumed it was from out west within a reasonable distance of Reno in 1992. I would love to see this car in person again. If the owner of this car ever stumbles upon this thread, please send me a PM.

stanlow69 and Sancho like this.
  15. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

It's been almost two years since my last bump.... Posted nearly 6 years ago!

16. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

I'll give it a "year and a half" bump. I recall seeing the car pictured somewhere when I was working on a project '51 Merc between '90 and '94. I saved a lot of magazines with Merc articles for reference and ideas. If, and that's a BIG IF I find the box of stuff with Merc info, I'll post pics or better yet, PM you if there is Owner info.

Sancho and Moriarity like this.
  17. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Bump for 2024. I posted this Eleven years ago... still no luck finding out anything more about this '51 Merc.

54delray likes this.
  18. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I would bet ANTHONY WHITE WOULD KNOW!