Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Plymouth 218 valve spring retainers

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RopeADope, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Rebuilding the flathead and as luck would have it a spring slipped and shot one of my retainers into outer space. It is now firmly lodged behind a comet that passes earth once every million years and causes religous cults to mass suicide.

If you have one, or reluctantly, a whole set, let me know. Bernbaums says they arent reproduced

2. Maybe someone could even point me to someone else who has them

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Is there an old auto machine shop in Fort Worth? They should have boxes of valve keepers. That is where I would go. I can't say for sure, but chances are Chrysler used the same keepers for years on all kinds of motors. Take a sample with you so they can match it up.

4. Thanks for the response, Rusty. I have looked high and low thus far. Ebay, jegs, summit, egge, local shops, etc. They all say check ebay. I cant believe no one ever loses these. Im not missing the 2 small half round keepers. Im missing the flat round cap on the spring (just to be clear). Ironically the keepers are reproduced and the retainer (flat round piece) is not reproduced

5. WWinIL

WWinIL

vintagepowerwagons.com

I just looked at site and they show having both NOS valve spring retainers & locks

Walt

6. Thanks for the response. Someone else suggested them today and it turns out they had a whole set (12) for $18. Score!