Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical H & H Flatheads

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Sep 29, 2020.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

Do You know what is situation H & H Flatheads (La Cresenta CA) ?
    I have ordered there 10-15years. Now I have try to get one shipment on the way to my CA shipping address or direct to Finland, but nothing happens. Two months gone, nothing charged from my creditcard and no parts here or there.

Aulis

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. They could be busy, I know I just saw one of the brothers racing at RPM over the weekend.

KiWinUS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like they keep rather odd hours with the 07:30 am to 3:00 PM Pacific time hours for contact time at least.
    https://handhflatheads.com/contact-us/

With so many people not spending money going to events this year they may be swamped a bit by the orders that are getting placed by guys stuck at home in the garage.

Have you done the "how's my stuff coming along Email?

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Friend had a pair of heads worked on there recently. Nothing fancy but took about 3 months.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. What ever you are having done or ordered and not charged for as of yet.. I wouldn't worry.. till you get billed and haven't seen or got a shipping confirmation then I would pose the question.. I'm sure they are busy.. Have you called ? Have you tried emailing ? Not defending H & H...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. slowspoke

slowspoke

I requested a quote for a rather large order recently but never received a response. Fortunately, there are a number of high-quality vendors that deal with flatheads. I hope they're doing well!

7. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I bought a long block from them and was real satisfied with the engine however I did have problems getting hold of them. Wanted a shipping date and called repeatedly, they are hard to get hold of. Got hold of them and found out the engine was on it's way, arrived and was well crated and excellent workmanship.

8. AULIZ

AULIZ

Yes, I have email with Mike. Sometimes he is answer, sometimes not. In this case he answered first, then weeks maybe month not answer,.... finally he told that all are ready. I wrote that You can charge normally my Amex and I pay shipping direct to Finland, because my seacontainer shipment has left Long Beach. After that no answer.

I have liked HH pricing, service, knowledge,.... I have ordered there maybe 40-50 times and everytime rather much stuff .
    ah

Outback and Stogy like this.
  9. AULIZ

AULIZ

As I wrote, I like how they have done business with me last 15y.
    I do not have hurry now. There is coming one 1932 ford from CA to Finland. In same seacontainer I have bought 2 x flathead engineproject etc. I was think that I can have same freight cost (2000usd car + parts from CA to FIN) cams, lifters, valves, heads, intake, bearings,...).

Now have bought something more flathead and nitrous oxide stuff to my CA shipping address.
    This would be good opportunity to get those HH stuff same seacontainer shipment, if they answer my emails...
    aulis

Stogy likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure he has some buds on here who stop by his shop on a regular basis, hopefully one will ask how that stuff for the guy in North Finland is coming. Or you are 10 hours ahead of him time wise so he opens the door at his shop at 17:30 your time if you are up to the cost of a phone call.

Stogy likes this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

If you have a order confirmation number, pm it to me and I’ll call them for you. Always heard good about them

mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  12. AULIZ

AULIZ

HH Flatheads Mike has contact me. He has had many challenging problems there. Now 100% in business.
    Last Friday my shipment arrived to my shipping address in Paramount CA. Thanks Mike !!! I have been Your customer nearly 15years and will thank You with new orders.

Rgds,
    Aulis

13. AULIZ

AULIZ

Any information about HH Flathead Autumn 2022?
    Still open?

I send cam cores and order list.
    No answer my emails

Aulis

14. Phil Brown

Phil Brown

I was up there at the end of Sept. and Mike said they are VERY busy with work

15. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I listened to a podcast he did. Sounds like he is busy doing a lot of big dollar stuff. I hope doesn't neglect the the regular joe customers because of it.

Cooon and rod1 like this.
  16. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I called them looking for some floating rod bearings and Mike answered the phone right away and helped me out. That was just last month. Seemed normal to me.

~Peter

17. AULIZ

AULIZ

- 3months ago I send seven cam cores to HH Flatheads
    - weeks before that I was made my order.
    - After that i have send 4 email and asked if they have send my stuff to Finland.
    - Every time answer is "I check tomorrow" or "I check Monday".
    - Today i send email and asked forget my order and pay $100.00 to my paypal account (core shipment from Fin to Us, 10kg)

Im so tired to cross my fingers and wait month after month.
    I have give my Amex info and trust that he is pricing stuff right and send stuff.
    OK, I understand if money is like shit. I dont have, but when I buy then I have that money ready.

Aulis from middle of shit or snow

18. AULIZ

AULIZ

8 months gone. No parts from HH Flatheads.
    I have get many email. Mike has promised send stuff. "I have nearly all ready for shiment".... just words, bullshit.

I have bought all that stuff from other suppliers. He can push his head to horseshit.
    I have asked him to send money( $110.00) , because I send him Cam Cores (59A, 8BA).
    I paid 7cams shipping to US. He told me last autumn "we cant grind hot rod cams because we havent any cores". OK, I arranged cores, but never get shipping cost money.

He is butterass without balls.

Aulis
    from land of hope and glory

19. Ziggster

Ziggster

Never dealt with H&H, but if what you say is correct, then that sucks. Too many companies today don’t give a damn about their customers. I tell my kids you can be super successful today at ANYTHING if you just do what you say and provide a quality product/service at a reasonable price. Too many a$$hat clowns running businesses these days.

20. Hey Aulis - sounds like a bit of a Shxt Show going on there. I hate it when folks promise to do something and then spend all their time making new promises and never actually getting the work done.

You should ship the cam cores to somebody who will actually do the job - as I doubt H&H has a cam grinder anyway.
    What profiles/grinds were you looking for? I might be able to direct the cores to the right people. Also, what type of $$$ per grind did H&H quote you?

rod1, Tman, Outback and 1 other person like this.
  21. patterg2003

patterg2003

You have waited a long time and I agree that is not fair. Definitely poor business practice. It maybe a sign of overwhelmed with work and being understaffed. After I retired I was hired to manage a small contractor group and through some madness they saw fit to move me up to another stratosphere. They put me in the senior manager's position while the permanent sr. manager took his family on a world tour ending in Australia where they stayed for a few months. We were under heavy pressure to meet deadlines to prepare for huge maintenance events then execute the work with several contractors with hundreds of men on the tools. It was a mad flurry of activity that had to go like clockwork meeting work schedules tracked by the hour. Supervisors and coordinators would complain that they sent several email seeking cooperation and nothing. I asked them to try calling direct because it is too easy to ignore emails. A lot of the people receiving the emails were not sitting at their desk and and an email hours old is history. I called guys and then may send a follow up email with the talking points if it was helpful. The guys would come and tell me they called and are getting action. If a person talks direct that trumps emails. The upside of calling is it builds connections and relationships. If you are sending a lot of work his way then play on that. In the meantime maybe look for another quality engine shop if you are really unhappy for future work.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    Outback likes this.
  22. 1952henry

1952henry

I don’t know the circumstances in the apparent downturn at H&H, but can’t help but wonder if they are experiencing the same phenomenon as a lot of businesses-no help. Seems a lot of places are short-staffed. Straight forward communication would be nice in any situation.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
  23. Budget36

Budget36

Son yesterday I called a shop about bringing a short block in. Fella said yes. As I was getting it ready today, phone rings and it’s the owner of the shop. Won’t bore y’all with the conversation, but said he had months and months of work and maybe best to look somewhere else.
    I really respected that, but more importantly, communication.

patterg2003, mad mikey and Outback like this.
  24. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ya' know, I've been on these forums for a long time (ten+ years) and I am seeing a trend developing. It is that shops that used to have good reputations for high quality work have seemed to have slipped into an infortunate pattern of poor customer service, delayed deliveries, and high prices. This is their choice, and it is their business, but shouldn't be successful in the long run.

What I find disturbing is that many respected long term members of these same forums regularly make excuses for this unacceptable behavior. Whether out of misplaced loyalty or long past previous experinces,. I see many posts saying "they are busy", or "they were at such and such a show". In my opinion, these are NOT reasonable excuses. This is a Capitalist economy and is supposed to be self-leveling, but unfortunatley, it doesn't, seem to be the case any more.

I'm a diehard flathed guy, but given what I have read, I would never consider H&H for amy work. I giess I'm just not a "Gold Chainer".

25. RonaldR

RonaldR

Try delta cam Tacoma WA.

Hillbilly Werewolf likes this.
  26. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I have used Delta for cams and facing lifters. Job was done in a timely manner and for a fair price

Outback likes this.
  27. GeeRam

GeeRam

See it happening here in the UK as well......Covid has played a part in this without a doubt. Some of the old school, getting close to retirement guys have either fallen to Covid, or just not come back to some business afterwards, and some old established businesses have struggled to pick up the pace again since, either with less staff, or just not as competent staff.

Outback and Truckdoctor Andy like this.